FSSAI License Requirements
FSSAI License Requirements
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 is the regulatory body that regulates the manufacturing, storage, distribution, sale and import of food products into India. As per the FSS Act, 2006, all persons or entities, other than the petty retailer, hawker, itinerant vendor or a temporary stallholder or small scale or cottage or tiny food business operator, are required to obtain and maintain a valid FSSAI license for operating a food business. There all businesses that deal with food products as manufacturers, storage providers, transporter, retailer, marketer, distributor, etc., are required to have an FSSAI license. In this article, we look at some of the conditions and requirements that must be followed by all FSSAI license holders in India.
Conditions Applicable for All FSSAI License Holders
- Display a true copy of the license granted in Form C shall at all time at a prominent place in the premises.
- Give necessary access to licensing authorities or their authorized personnel to the premises.
- Inform authorities about any change or modifications in activities.
- Employ at least one technical person to supervise the production process. The person supervising the production process shall possess at least a degree in science with Chemistry/ Biochemistry/ Food and nutrition/ Microbiology or a degree or diploma in Food Technology/ Dairy Technology/ Dairy Microbiology/ Dairy Chemistry/ Dairy Engineering/ Oil technology/ Veterinary science / Hotel management & Catering technology or any degree or diploma in any other discipline related to the specific requirement of the business from a recognized university or institute or equivalent.
- Furnish periodic annual return 1st April to 31st March, within 31st May of each year.
- For collection/ handling/manufacturing of milk and milk product half yearly return also to be furnished as specified.
- Ensure that no product other than the product indicated in the license /registration is produced in the unit.
- Maintain factory’s sanitary and hygienic standards and workers hygiene as specified in the schedule-4 according to the category of a food business.
- Maintain daily records of production, raw materials utilization and sales separately.
- Ensure that the source and standards of raw material are of optimum quality.
- Food business operator shall not manufacture, store or expose for sale or permit the sale of any article of food in any premises not effectively separated to the satisfaction of the licensing authority from any privy, urine, sullage, drain or place of storage of foul and waste matter.
- Ensure the clean-in-place system (whatever necessary) for regular cleaning of machine & equipment.
- Ensure testing of relevant chemical and/or microbiological contaminants in food products in accordance with this regulation as frequency as required on the basis of historical data and risk assessment to ensure production and delivery of safe food through own or NABLaccredited /FSSAI recognized labs at least once in six months.
- Ensure that as much as possible the required temperature shall be maintained throughout the supply chain from the place of procurement or sourcing till it reaches the end consumer including chilling, transportation, storage etc.
- The Manufacturer/ Importer/ Distributor shall buy and sell food products only from, or to, licensed /registered vendors and maintain record thereof.
Conditions Applicable for Hotels, Restaurants & Food Stalls
Proprietors of hotels, restaurants and other food stalls who sell or expose for sale savouries, sweets or another article of food shall put up a notice board containing separates lists of the articles which have been cooked in ghee, edible oil, vanaspati and other fats for the information of the intending purchasers.
Conditions Applicable for Selling Cooked or Prepared Food
Food business operator selling cooked or prepared food shall display a notice board containing the nature of articles being exposed for sale.
Conditions Applicable for Edible Oil Manufacturers
Every manufacturer (including Ghani operator) or wholesale dealer in butter, ghee, vanaspati, edible oils, solvent extracted oil, de-oiled meal, edible flour and any other fats shall minimum a register showing the quantity of manufactured, received or sold, nature of oilseed used and quantity of de-oiled meal and edible flour used etc. as applicable and the destination of each consignment of the substances sent out from his factory or place of business, and shall present such register for inspection whenever required to do so by the licensing authority.
No producer or manufacturer or vegetable oil, edible oil and their products shall be edible for a license under this act unless he has own laboratory facility for analytical testing of samples
Every sale and movement of stocks of solvents-extracted oil,’semi-refined’ or ‘raw grade I’, edible groundnut flour or edible coconut flour, or both by the producer shall be a sale or movement of stocks directly to a registered user and not to any other person, and no such sale or movement shall be effected through any third party.
Every quantity of solvent-extracted oil, edible groundnut flour or edible coconut flour, or both purchased by a registered user shall be used by him in his own factory entirely for the purpose intended and shall not be re-sold or otherwise transferred to any other person: Provided that nothing in this sub-clause shall apply to the sale or movement of the following:- 1 – Karanjia oil 2 – Kusum oil 3 – Mahua oil 4 – Neem oil 5 – Tamarind seed oil 6 – Edible groundnut flour bearing the I.S.I certification mark 7 – Edible coconut flour bearing the I.S.I certificate mark
No food business operator sell or distribute or offer for sale or dispatch or deliver to any person for purpose of sale any edible oil without the package, marking and labels in a specific manner in the regulations unless specifically exempt from this condition vide notification in the Official Gazette with the public interest by food safety commissioners in specific circumstances and for a specific period and for reason to record in the writings.