FSSAI Registration

How to get FSSAI Registration

Guides » Business Registrations » How to get FSSAI Registration

How to get FSSAI Registration

The Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 has brought in tremendous changes to the food industry in an effort to make available to consumers, safe and standardized foods. The Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 has made FSSAI registration mandatory for food business operators and food products. In this article, we look at the two main types of FSSAI Registration- Food Business License and Food Product Approval.

FSSAI Food Business Operator License

Food business operator license is required for all Food Business Operators in the country. The rules for FSSAI Registration for Food Businesses is laid out in the FSSAI Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses Regulation, 2011. As per the FSSAI Food Business Regulation Act, only petty food manufacturers are allowed to start a food business without FSSAI registration. Petty Food Manufacturer means any food manufacturer, who (a) manufactures or sells any article of food himself or a petty retailer, hawker, itinerant vendor or temporary stall holder; or distributes foods including in any religious or social gathering except a caterer. All other persons wishing to start a food business must possess an FSSAI registration prior to starting the business. Refer to the article on Food Business Operator License in India to know more.

FSSAI Food Product Approval

FSSAI food product approval is required for any food product which contains ingredients or additives that are not as per the FSSAI standards. Therefore, food products for which no standards have been specified by the FSSAI required FSSAI food product approval. FSSAI registration for food products must mainly be obtained by food product manufacturers or food product importers. Refer to the article on How to get FSSAI Food Product Approval to know more.

Procedure for getting FSSAI Registration for Food Business

FSSAI Registration Types
FSSAI Registration Types

FSSAI registration for Food Businesses can be obtained through the FSSAI Food Licensing & Registration System. FSSAI registration for food business falls under one of three categories:

  • Central License
  • State License
  • Registration

FSSAI Registration Central License

Food business operators like 100% Export Oriented Units, large manufacturers, importers, food business operators in Central Government Agencies, airport, seaport, etc., need to obtain FSSAI registration from central government.

FSSAI Registration State License

Food business operators like small to medium sized manufacturing units, storage, transporters, retailers, marketers, distributors, etc., need to take FSSAI registration from state government.

FSSAI Registration

Food business operators who are petty food manufacturers can obtain registration under this scheme from the state government by submitting minimal documents.

Documents Required for FSSAI Registration

The documents required for FSSAI registration varies based on the license applied and the type of licensing. However, these are some of the common documents required for obtaining FSSAI registration:

  1. Photo Identity of Promoters of the Food Business
  2. Proof of possession of premises (Rental Agreement / Utility Bill)
  3. Partnership Deed / Certificate of Incorporation / Articles of Association / Memorandum of Association
  4. List of food products manufactures or processed or stored
  5. Food safety management system plan
  6. Signed and Completed Form-B

The above list is just an indicative list. More documents would be required based on the license for which application is made.

For more information about FSSAI Registration for Food Business, visit IndiaFilings.com

Want to Consult a FSSAI Expert?

FSSAI registration or license is required for all entities involved in the production, distribution and transportation of food products.

Comments (8)

ramesh patel

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:18 PM

seller ragistration reqiured


Akhilesh Kumar

Apr 08, 2015 at 5:12 PM

Food product will be manufactured and packed by other company but will be sold by myself with my trade name and firm name.

from where I apply for registration of firm?
It will not a company but a simple trading firm.



Apr 24, 2015 at 9:44 AM

i want to produce jaggery in rural gur making plant, what type of registration will be required if i want it to export?thanks



Apr 24, 2015 at 4:17 PM

for further assistance and help on it u can contact me on 011 22486868



Jul 07, 2015 at 4:18 PM

I have a business of purchasing chocolate compounds and making chocolate bouqetts and other varieties of items from them. And I sell them to retailers and also have my own retail shop.

Do I need a FSSAI Registration?


Durgesh Tanwar

Oct 14, 2015 at 3:57 PM

Hi I am not able to post query getting error of connection lost, Please check your network Connection.
I want to ask that do I need to have registered firm for applying food licence.



Oct 26, 2015 at 2:53 PM

I want to start my own kitchen to make food and deliver. What type of license do i need. Please advice.



Oct 29, 2015 at 12:22 PM

Watcooking.com helps people to sell food from their own kitchens for free. Register your home cafe in just 10 mins. They will help getting the FSSAI petty food sellers registrations too


Leave a comment