How to get FSSAI Registration
FSSAI License and Registration
As per Section 31(1) Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006, every Food Business Operator in the country must be licensed under the Food Safety &Standards Authority of India (FSSAI). The FSSAI licensing and registration procedure and requirements are regulated by the Food Safety & Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Business) Regulations, 2011. A Food Safety and Standards Authority of India License or Registration is required for any food business in India that manufactures, stores, transports, or distributes food. Depending on the size and nature of the company, FSSAI registration or license may be required.Register Now!
Food Business Operators Who Require FSSAI Registration?
The Food Business Operators (FBOs) carrying on the following kinds of the food business must have FSSAI License/Registration:
- Petty retailers, Retail Shops, Snacks shops, Confectionery or Bakery shops, etc.
- Temporary stalls, fixed stalls, or food premises are involved in preparing, storing, distributing, and selling food products.
- Hawkers sell packaged or freshly prepared food by traveling from one location to another.
- Dairy Units, including Milk Chilling Units, Petty Milkmen, and Milk Vendors
- Slaughtering house
- Fish Processing, Meat Processing, and unit
- All Food Manufacturing units that include Repacking food
- Vegetable Oil Processing Units
- Proprietary food and Novel food
- Cold/refrigerated storage facility
- Transporter of food products having several specialized vehicles like insulated refrigerated vans/wagons, milk tankers, food wagons, food trucks, etc
- Wholesalers, suppliers, distributors, and marketers of food products
- Hotels, Restaurants, and Bars
- Canteens and Cafeteria, including mid-day meal canteens
- Food Vending Agencies and Caterers
- Dhaba, PG provides food, a Banquet hall with food catering arrangements, Home Based Canteen, and Food stalls at fairs or religious institutions.
- Importers and Exporters of food items and food ingredients.
- E-Commerce food suppliers, including cloud kitchens
Refer to the article on How to get FSSAI Food Product Approval to know more.
Eligibility Criteria for Food Business Registration/License
The document attached here provides eligibility criteria for Food Business Registration/License.Eligibility_Kind_Business_04_05_2020
FSSAI Registration/FSSAI License
FSSAI registration is provided based on the business types, turnover, and production capacity. According to the installed capacity and turnover, FBOs are eligible for essential, central, and state licenses.
- FSSAI Registration: Food Business Operators having a turnover of less than Rs.12 lakh per annum must obtain FSSAI essential registration. Food business operators who are petty food manufacturers can obtain registration. Form A is the FSSAI registration form the applicant must fill out to receive FSSAI essential registration.
- FSSAI State License: Food businesses having a turnover of more than Rs.12 lakh per annum and less than Rs.20 crore per annum must obtain the FSSAI state license. Form B is the FSSAI registration form the applicant must fill out to get an FSSAI state license. Food business operators like small to medium-sized manufacturing units, storage, transporters, retailers, marketers, distributors, etc., need to take FSSAI registration from the state government.
- FSSAI Central License: Food businesses having a turnover of more than Rs.20 crore per annum must obtain the FSSAI central license. The FSSAI registration form the applicant must fill out to obtain FSSAI primary license is Form B. Food business operators like 100% Export Oriented Units, large manufacturers, importers, food business operators in Central Government Agencies, airports, seaports, etc., need to obtain FSSAI registration from central government.
Benefits of Procuring FSSAI Food License
Obtaining an FSSAI license can provide the food business with the following benefits:
- Legal benefit
- Ensure food safety
- Build goodwill
- Create consumer awareness
- It helps regulate, manufacture, store, distribute, and sell imported food.
- It becomes easy to obtain funds from investors when an entrepreneur has an FSSAI license.
- FSSAI logos on food products ensure the quality of the products to the customers.
- The registration number displayed on the food premises indicates that the premises comply with hygiene and quality standards.
FSSAI registration or FSSAI license can be easily obtained online in India through IndiaFilings.
Validity of FSSAI License / Registration
The FSSAI License / Registration will be issued for 1 to 5 years, as chosen by the Food Business Operator, from the date of issue of registration or license. The FBO must apply for renewal 30 days before the expiry of the current request.
The FBO needs to pay the below-mentioned fee to obtain FSSAI License/Registration.
|1||Manufacturing License||Rs.2000 to 7500 per year|
|2||Registration Certificate||Rs.100 per year|
|3||Modification of License and Certificate||Rs.1000 for the license and Rs.100 for the registration|
|4||Renewal of License and Certificate||Same as New license/Registration|
The documents required for obtaining the license or registration from the FoSCoS are as follows:
Documents for New FSSAI License
A list of documents required to be submitted when applying for a new FSSAI license and renewal/modification of permit was issued by Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) vide a Notification dated 19th March 2021. With this Notification, FSSAI has come up with a KoB-wise list of documents to be submitted with the application for a license.
Documents for New FSSAI Registration Certificate
- Photograph of the Applicant
- Government-issued photo identities such as AADHAAR, PAN, Voter ID, etc
- Proof of Address of Businesses activity (if the address is other than as mentioned in the Photo ID Card)
- Documents for Renewal/Modification of License
- Any change in documents or information provided during the grant of the previous food business license.
- Certificate of Food Safety Management System being adopted
- Medical fitness certificates of all workers engaged in the firm
- All details of technical personnel in charge of the operation
- Documents required for Renewal of Registration/License
- Any change in documents or information provided during the grant of the previous registration
Procedure to Apply for FSSAI License and Registration
The process to get the FSSAI License and Registration through the FosCos portal is explained in detail below.
The Food Business Operator (FBO) needs to access the official webpage of the Food Safety and Compliance System (FoSCoS) and click on the signup option from the homepage at the top right corner of the portal.
- By clicking on signup, the FOB will be redirected to the signup page; provide all details, such as Name, Email ID, Mobile Number, Login ID, and Password, and click on the “Signup” button.
- A verification code will be sent to the registered mail and mobile number. Furnish that verification code in the provided box and click on the “Submit” option to verify the details.
- After successfully signing up, the FOB can enter the portal by entering the username and password.
Registration of Petty Food Business Operators
After login into the portal, click on the “Apply for Registration Certificate (Petty Food Business Operators)” option. After the verify OTP select the application for the New Registration option. A new application page will open, provide all details in the application for registration of Petty FBO and submit the application.
Procedure for New Application (Registration/ License)
After login to the portal, the system will display the dashboard; click on the License/Registration option in the left menu and select the Apply for New License/Registration option.
- Select the State and Read the Note before proceeding
- Read the Group Heads of Kind of Business. Select Restaurant from food services Business Group Head
- Choose the right Radio Button according to the turnover of your food business and Proceed to fill out the application
- Fill in all the mandatory fields as shown in the application Form B
- Please furnish the communication details with caution, and communication made by the authority will be done to the mentioned contact details viz Mobile Number or Email ID, etc
- Upload the relevant set of documents. Pay the fee with available modes and click on apply.
- After completing the fee payment, a receipt will be generated with a 17-digit reference number that can be used for future reference.
Procedure for Renewal
FBOs can submit a request to renew their existing issued licenses/ registrations using the Renewal tab. The renewal application needs to be submitted between the time frame of 120 days and 30 days before the date of the expiry of the license.
As soon as the FSSAI authorities issue the FSSAI registration certificate, the status will be displayed as ‘Registration Certificate Issued.’ The applicants can download the certificate by logging into the FoSCoS website.
FSSAI Penalty and Offenses
To ensure the availability of safe and wholesome food for human consumption, the FSSAI Act prescribes several penalties and offenses for contravening.
Easily get your FSSAI license/FSSAI Registration through IndiaFilings. We simplify the process and provide expert guidance, ensuring a smooth and hassle-free experience for your food business.Register Now!