FSSAI Registration vs License
FSSAI Registration vs License
The registration and licensing of food business in India is governed by the Food safety and Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food businesses) Regulation, 2011. As per the regulation, all food business operator in India must have a FSSAI registration or license if they are involved in the manufacturing, storage, transportation or distribution of food products. Based on the size an nature of business, FSSAI registration or FSSAI license may be required. In this article, we look at the difference between a FSSAI registration and license.
FSSAI registration is required for all petty food business operator. Petty food business operator is any person or entity who:
- Manufactures or sells any article of food himself or a petty retailer, hawker, itinerant vendor or temporary stall holder; or
- Distributes foods including in any religious or social gathering except a caterer; or
- Other food businesses including small scale or cottage or such other industries relating to food business or tiny food businesses with an annual turnover not exceeding Rs 12 lakhs and whose:
- Production capacity of food (other than milk and milk products and meat and meat products) does not exceed 100 kg/ltr per day or
- Procurement or handling and collection of milk is up to 500 litres of milk per day or
- Slaughtering capacity is 2 large animals or 10 small animals or 50 poultry birds per day or less.
Petty food business operators are required to obtain a FSSAI registration by submitting an application for registration in Form A. On submission of a FSSAI registration application, the registration should be provided or application rejected in writing within 7 days of receipt of an application by authority.
FSSAI registration certificate contains the details of registration and a photo of the applicant. The certificate must be prominently displayed at the place of food business, at all times while carrying on the food business.
Any person or entity that does not not classify as a petty food business operator is required to obtain a FSSAI license for operating a food business in India. FSSAI license is of two types, State FSSAI License and Central FSSAI License. Based on the size and nature of the business, the licensing authority would change. Large food manufacturer / processors / transporters and importers of food products require central FSSAI license; state FSSAI license is required for medium sized food manufacturers, processor and transporters.
The fee and procedure for obtaining a FSSAI license is more extensive when compared to a FSSAI registration. FSSAI license application should be made in Form B to the appropriate Licensing Authority along with the necessary self-attested declaration, affidavit and annexures, as applicable.
FSSAI license is granted for a period of 1 to 5 years as request by the food business operator. Higher fee would be applicable for obtaining FSSAI license for more years. If registration is obtained for one or two years, then the license can be renewed by making an application, no later than 30 days prior to the expiry date of the FSSAI license.
Note: To obtain FSSAI registration or license in India, visit IndiaFilings.com
Income Tax eFiling
We have made the Income Tax eFiling, simple and easy. File your income tax return online with the dedicated Tax Experts support from IndiaFilings.
IndiaFilings.com (ERI ID: ERIA100945) is an Income Tax Department authorised eReturn Intermediary.