FSSAI Registration vs License
FSSAI Registration vs License
The registration and licensing of food business in India is governed by the Food Safety and Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food businesses) Regulation, 2011. As per the regulation, all food business operator in India must have an FSSAI registration or license if they are involved in the manufacturing, storage, transportation or distribution of food products. Based on the size and nature of the business, FSSAI registration or FSSAI license may be required. In this article, we look at the difference between an FSSAI registration and license.
It requires FSSAI registration for all petty food business operator. Petty food business operator is any person or entity who:
- Manufactures or sells any article of food himself or a petty retailer, hawker, itinerant vendor or temporary stall holder; or
- Distributes foods including in any religious or social gathering except a caterer; or
- Other food businesses including small scale or cottage or such other industries relating to food business or tiny food businesses with an annual turnover not exceeding Rs.12 lakhs and whose:
- The production capacity of food (other than milk and milk products and meat and meat products) does not exceed 100 kg/ltr per day or
- Procurement or handling and collection of milk is up to 500 litres of milk per day or
- Slaughtering capacity is 2 large animals or 10 small animals or 50 poultry birds per day or less.
Petty food business operators are required to obtain an FSSAI registration by submitting an application for registration in Form A. On submission of an FSSAI registration application, the registration should be provided or application rejected in writing within 7 days of receipt of an application by an authority.
FSSAI registration certificate contains the details of registration and a photo of the applicant. Display the certificate prominently at the place of the food business, at all times while carrying on the food business.
Any person or entity that does not classify as a petty food business operator is required to obtain an FSSAI license for operating a food business in India. FSSAI license is of two types, State FSSAI License and Central FSSAI License. Based on the size and nature of the business, the licensing authority would change. Large food manufacturer/processors/transporters and importers of food products require central FSSAI license; it requires state FSSAI license for medium-sized food manufacturers, processor and transporters.
The fee and procedure for obtaining an FSSAI license are more extensive when compared to an FSSAI registration. FSSAI license application should be made in Form B to the appropriate Licensing Authority along with the necessary self-attested declaration, affidavit and annexures, as applicable.
The issuance of FSSAI license for a period of 1 to 5 years as a request by the food business operator. The higher fee would be applicable for obtaining FSSAI license for more years. If obtaining registration for one or two years, then the person can apply the renewal of license by making an application, no later than 30 days prior to the expiry date of the FSSAI license.
Note: To obtain FSSAI registration or license in India, visit IndiaFilings.com