Who needs FSSAI registration?
An FSSAI Registration or License is required for any food business in India that manufactures, transports, distributes, or stores food. According to the installed capacity and turnover, FBOs are eligible for essential, central, and state licenses. The size and nature of the company will determine whether or not Registration is required. This necessary Registration is required for all food business operators with a turnover of less than Rs.12 lakh per year. In the FSSAI Registration process, the FBO will get a 14-digit number that needs to be printed on food packages.
For more details on FSSAI License and Registration, click here
Registration is granted according to the type of business, the turnover, and the amount of production.
- Petty food manufacturers and food service operators with turnovers of less than Rs.12 lakhs are required to get the essential Registration unless they are covered by compulsory licensing.
- The petty FBO who manufactures or sells food items, a hawker, little retailer, temporary stall-holder, small-scale industries, or itinerant vendor relating to food business who comply with the following conditions must obtain the registration certificate.
- Annual turnover is at most Rs.12 lakh.
- A daily production capacity of 100 liters or kg of food products (other than milk and milk products)
- Procurement, handling, and collection of milk up to 500 liters per day
- Registration is mandatory for a unit having a Slaughtering capacity of 2 large animals, 10 small animals, or 50 poultry birds per day or less
- Distributes food at religious or social gatherings, except for caterers
Take a look at the following table for a better understanding:
|1||Food production capacity||Up to 100 kg/liter per day (other than milk and meat)|
|2||Procurement, handling, and collection of milk||Up to 500 liters per day|
|3||Slaughtering capacity||2 large animals or 10 small animals, or 50 poultry birds per day or less|
The State Licensing Authority will grant the FSSAI registration number, which has 14 digits, with the first digit starting with 2.
There is a difference between an FSSAI license and an FSSAI registration. Businesses with a turnover of more than 12 lakhs or FBOs engaged in food processing and manufacturing needs an FSSAI license.
For details on FSSAI Registration vs. FSSAI License, click here
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India license or Registration is required by each of the kinds of businesses mentioned above, depending on their eligibility criteria. The eligibility criteria for each category of business and type of license/registration are provided in the document.
Eligibility Criteria for FSSAI registration
Get FSSAI Registration through IndiaFilings
Obtaining an FSSAI registration can provide the food business with legal benefits, ensure food safety, create consumer awareness, and assist in business expansion. IndiaFilings can help you obtain Registration throughout the country very quickly. Our experts will guide you in selecting the proper food category and license.