FSSAI License Number
FSSAI License Number
FSSAI license number is a 14-digit number issued to registered Food Business Operators (FBOs); it comprises of five sections, each of them providing different information about the food business operator. The aforementioned indicator has to be affixed on the package of the food product, added with the FSSAI logo. This article looks at the provision in detail.
The 14-digit FSSAI license comprises of the following sections:
The status of registration of the business
|2||Second and third digits||The state code of the respective business|
|3||Digits four and five||The year of manufacture of the food product|
|4||Digits 6,7 and 8||The quantity of enrolling master|
|5||Digits 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14||Provides the Makers License Number|
FSSAI Guidelines on the Provision
- Every food package must include the 14-digit license number assigned to the FBO.
- The font colour and shade of the FSSAI logo should be in contrast to the background of the packaged product so as to ensure the distinguishability of the logo and license number.
- The name, address and FSSAI number of the shipper must be produced before the authorities while importing products into the country.
- The measure of the letters, alphabets, and digits must be based on the Food Safety and Standards (Packaging and Labelling) Regulations, 2011.
- The license number must be mentioned on the addresses of the various unit marks of the product, along with the quality of the delivering organization.
- The logo and license number can only be used by the FBO until the date of expiry of food license, which is five years from the date of issue of license.
How to Check FSSAI License Number?
Businesses with FSSAI registration/license may check their FSSAI License Number through the Food Safety Connect Website of FSSAI. Here’s how it can be done:
Step 1 – Visit the link provided above.
Step 2 – enter the license/registration number as depicted in the picture above, and click on “Submit”. An error message will be displayed on the entry of an invalid number.
Step 3 – in the following page, the website will display the essential details of the FBO, which includes the license/registration number, the date of expiry of the license, type of business, products served, the status of the business, the name of company and address of the premises.
This concludes the procedure of checking FSSAI license number, which, as already stated, forms a part of mandates to be followed by an FBO.
Types of FSSAI License
The types of license to be obtained varied in accordance with the scale and turnover of the business. The types of FSSAI license include:
- Basic Registration
- Central License
- State License
Basic registration is meant for food units with an annual turnover of up to INR 12 lakhs, the likes of which includes small-sized manufacturers, storage units, transporters, retailers, markets, distributors, etc. An FBA may fall under the ambit of either the State License or Registration License, as both of these are issued by the respective state governments.
Meant for food units with an annual turnover of more than INR 12 lakhs but confined to INR 20 crores. Also issued by the respective state governments, State Licenses are applicable for medium-sized manufacturers, storage units, transporters, retailers, marketers, distributors, etc.
Apples to businesses whose turnover is above INR 20 crores, the likes of which are pursued by FBOs such as importers, export-oriented units, large manufacturers, operators in the Central Government agencies, airports, seaports, and so and so forth. These licenses are issued by the Central Government.
Note – central licenses are also issued to businesses operating in more than one state. In such cases, the unit of the respective state where the head office is located must obtain a Central License, whereas the ones located in other states will be required to obtain State Licenses.