Jharkhand Marriage Certificate
Jharkhand Marriage Certificate
A marriage certificate is a legal record, which certifies the marriage bond of a bride and bridegroom. The concerned State Government is empowered to issue marriage certificates in every State of India. In this article, we look at the eligibility and requirements for obtaining Jharkhand marriage certificate in detail.
Benefits of Marriage Certificate
The following are the benefits of obtaining Jharkhand marriage certificate:
- A marriage certificate establishes that marriage has occurred and can be used as an official record.
- It secures the minimum age for marriage to restrict child marriages.
- This certificate allows widows to claim the inheritance.
- It can also be used to check bigamy or polygamy.
- It serves as a deterrent to husbands abandoning their wives.
- This certificate assists women to exercise their rights of asylum from husband and for custody of children.
- Besides, its usage continues while appealing for passport service, visa to obtain immigration benefits.
The bride and the groom should satisfy the following conditions of eligibility to acquire the marriage certificate in Jharkhand:
- The groom or the bride should be a permanent resident of India for obtaining the marriage certificate in Jharkhand.
- At the time of the marriage, the concerned party should have a living spouse.
- The groom must have attained the age of 21, and the bride must be the age of 18.
The party should apply to the office of the concerned Registrar under whose jurisdiction the marriage occurred or where the spouses had stayed for at least six months before the wedding. To register, any one of the following places should come under the jurisdiction of the Registering Officer:
- Residence of the bridegroom.
- Residence of the bride.
- Solemnisation place.
In India, a marriage registration will perform under either the Special Marriage Act or Hindu Marriage Act. The Special Marriage Act applies to all citizens of India irrespective of their religion, whereas the Hindu Marriage Act, applies only to Hindus. The Special Marriage Act provides for the solemnization of a marriage as well as registration by a marriage officer. However, the Hindu Marriage Act provides for registration of an already solemnized marriage and does not fit for solemnization of a marriage by a Marriage Registrar.
While applying for the marriage certificate in Jharkhand, the applicant has to attach the following documents:
- Application form
- Affidavit of the couple stating the place of marriage occurred including the details of marriage date, marital status and nationality.
- Passport size photo of the applicant and photograph of a marriage invitation card, if any.
- Residency proof of the applicant
- Birth certificate of the groom (Age Proof)
- Birth certificate of the bride (Age Proof)
- If marriage happens at a religious place, then the declaration by the priest.
- For divorced people, requires the order of divorce and verified copy of the death certificate.
Application Procedure for Jharkhand Marriage Certificate
Step 1: Application Form
The applicant should obtain an application form from the office of the marriage registrar in the particular jurisdiction, and submit it the same. The jurisdiction could either be the location of the marriage or the place where one of the couples were residing for the last six months immediately preceding the date of marriage.
Step 2: Registration
The couple must appear before the Registrar along with their parents or guardians. The registration will then be done after due verification by the Registrar. Then the applicant can collect the certificate in due course of time.
After obtaining the certificate is valid for a lifetime or at least until the couple part ways.