Delhi Nationality Certificate
Delhi Nationality Certificate
Nationality certificate is an important document used to prove where a person was born and where his family resided at a point in time. Nationality certificate can be obtained from the concerned State Governments in India. This certificate is used to certify that an individual is of Indian origin and his relation such as parents and grandparents etc. lived in a particular state. Revenue department of Delhi Government issues Nationality Certificate to the resident. In this article, we look at the procedure for obtaining the Delhi Nationality Certificate in detail.
Importance of Delhi Nationality Certificate
Importance of obtaining Delhi Nationality certificate is in detail here:
- Nationality certificate helps to show residence in a particular state of the country.
- Nationality certificate is mandatory to get admission in an educational institution where seats are reserved for only state residents.
- To obtain a ration card, Nationality certificate can be used.
- Delhi Nationality certificate needs for availing quotas in an educational institution.
- To apply for quota Government jobs, nationality certificate can be finished.
- For applying for scholarship schemes, Delhi Nationality certificate needs to be produced.
Nationality Certificate for OCI/PIO
Nationality certificate, in other words, called a Nativity certificate. It is mandatory for getting Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) or People of Indian Origin (PIO) status from Indian embassies. All foreigners have to prove the Indian original to get the PIO or OCI status hence this certificate is one of the essential documents to prove the Indian original of that person. Commonly nativity or nationality certificate contains the seal and signature of a first-class magistrate along with other formalities, and it has to be attested by the Ministry of External Affairs to get OCI/PIO.
To obtain nationality certificate from the Delhi Government, the person should meet the following eligibility criteria.
- Applicant must be a resident of Delhi.
- Proof of continuous residence for five years or more.
Documents Required for Delhi Nationality Certificate
To apply for Delhi Nationality Certificate, attach the following document along with the application form:
- Application Form in the prescribed format
- Aadhaar Card, if it is not available, provides any other identity proof such as PAN or Passport or Driving Licence or Voters Card
- Self-declaration in prescribed Performa (Self-declaration from the major if the children are below the 18 years)
- Photograph of the applicant
- Supporting document for the present residential proof like Voter Card, Electricity Bill, Water Bill, Telephone Bill etc.
- Birth certificate of the applicant
Note: All documents need to be attested by a Gazetted Officer.
Time Frame to issue the Delhi nationality certificate is fourteen days from the date of application.
Delhi Nationality Certificate holds lifelong validity.
To obtain nationality certificate from Delhi Government, a citizen need not pay any amount. After verification of the documents from the higher authority, get the nationality certificate from that authority.
Applying through SDM/DC Office
Guidelines for applying nationality certificate through SDM/DC Office in Delhi are in detail here.
Approach SDM/DC office
Step 1: Applicant needs to visit centre SDM or DC Office to apply for nationality certificate through offline mode.
Submit an Application
Step 2: Applicant has to submit an application in the prescribed format for the Delhi nationality certificate. Fill the nationality application form duly according to the norms. Provide the below-mentioned details in the application form.
- Applicant Name
- Father or Husband’s Name
- Address of the applicant
- Date and Place of Birth
- Period of residence in India
- Place of birth of father and mother
- The purpose for which nationality certificate is required
We have herewith attached an application form for Delhi nationality certificate.Delhi Nationality Application
Step 3: Submit all other required documents to the concerned office along with an affidavit. The format of the affidavit is below for the reference.Delhi Nationality Affidavit
Get Acknowledgement Receipt
Step 4: Obtain an acknowledgement slip with the unique application number for nationality application. Keep it safe for future reference.
Step 5: Once the application for Delhi nationality certificate has been submitted; the concerned authority will process the nationality application.
Local Enquiry by the officer
Step 6: A local enquiry takes place for verifying the applicant’s residence in the state. In case an applicant is a married woman, the local enquiry will be conducted in the location of residence before marriage as well as the place of residence after marriage.
Obtain Delhi Nationality Certificate
After local enquiry and the request for nationality certificate has been approved, the concerned SDM or DC will issue a caste certificate. Revisit the office and provide a unique application number. The applicant can collect the Delhi nationality certificate, and it can be used for the purpose mentioned above.