Delhi Birth Certificate
Delhi Birth Certificate
In Delhi, it is mandatory to register every birth as per the Registration of Birth Act, 1969. The birth certificate is one of the important legal document which serves as an identity proof of a person in various circumstances. The Chief Registrar of birth is responsible for issuing the birth certificate under the State Government of Delhi. In this article, we look at the guidelines for obtaining Delhi birth certificate in detail.
Reason to Obtain Birth Certificate
The reasons for obtaining the birth certificate are:
- To register for the marriage certificate, one needs to submit the birth certificate to prove age.
- To obtain documents like Passport, Voter ID, Driving license, etc.
- To get admission in educational institutions.
- To claim insurance benefits.
Who Can Register Birth?
In Delhi, a birth certificate can be obtained if the event of birth is registered within 21 days from the date of birth. The concerned person responsible for registering the birth are as follows:
- If the birth happens in a house, the head of the household is responsible for registering the birth.
- If the birth occurs in hospitals, nursing homes or health centre, any officer authorized by a medical officer is responsible for registering a birth.
- If a birth occurs in jail, the jail in charge is eligible to report such births.
- If a birth occurs in the moving vehicle, the person in charge of the vehicle is required to report the birth.
Note: If a birth is not recorded within one year of birth, the applicant can contact the place of birth for registration of the event and the Registrar Office for recording the birth.
Government Fee Structure
The following charges are applicable for registering the birth in Delhi.
|Registration within 21 days of birth.||No fee|
|Registration after 21 days of birth.||Rs.7|
|Registration after 30 days but before one year of birth.||Rs.10|
|Registration after one year of birth.||Rs.15|
The birth certificate in Delhi will be issued within seven working days from the date of application.
To obtain a birth certificate in Delhi, submit the following documents along with the application form.
- Proof of birth of the child in respect to whom the certification is required.
- Affidavit considering place, date and time of the birth of the person.
- Residential certificate of the parent of the respective year.
- Parents’ identity proof.
The documents required in case of delayed registration of birth.
- A request letter from the father/mother.
- Proof of address where the birth of a child takes place.
- Affidavit in the prescribed format that includes complete details of the child.
- Proof of birth date.
- Aadhar card.
Online Application Procedure
The applicant has to follow the below-given procedures to obtain a Birth Certificate Online:
Step 1: Visit the official website of the Delhi Government.
Step 2: Click on “Online Services” option, which is displayed on the home page of the portal.
Step 3: Select “Birth Certificate” from the list of services.
Check Birth Records
Step 4: On the next page, the user needs to fill the birth enquiry details and click the ‘Search’ button.
Step 5: Now, the applicant can view their birth details which are available in the portal.
Step 6: One needs to select individual birth records from the list of birth records.
Download Birth Certificate
Step 7: Click on “Get certificate” Button.
Step 8: The applicant has to provide contact details and select the “Show Certificate” option.
Step 9: Finally, the applicant can take a printout of the approved birth certificate.