Food Safety on Wheels
Food Safety on Wheels
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India has brought in new schemes to enhance the safety and hygiene of foods by bringing up additional food testing labs. As a part of this, there is an introduction of mobile units called as “Food Safety on Wheels”. These mobile units also create awareness about food safety, hygiene and promote healthy eating habits and support FSSAI registration. In addition to this, the food wheels also conduct training and certificate programs for people in the food business and conduct surveillance activities in remote areas. In this article, let us see in detail about the Food Safety on Wheels initiative of the FSSAI.
The FSSAI has declared five key features that help in enhancing the food testing system in our country. They are as follows.
- Indian Food Laboratory Network connects the entire food laboratory in the country to a centralized Lab Management System. InFoLNet serves as the source for risk analysis, standards improvement, and training and in better observation of the food products. The field units who are in charge collects the samples and sends it to the FSSAI notified labs to code it and to test it, thereby providing solutions to the defects in the foods. This would be taken into consideration and would be established to control the food imports.
- The Food Safety on Wheels is moving vehicles that are arranged by the FSSAI to supervise the food products in different areas around the country. They are used to educate the public and give awareness about the hygiene of foods. They have laboratories that have been equipped with testing facilities and their uses are as follows.
- It quickly tests and detects the presence of common adulterants in foods
- It is used to spread awareness of food safety and hygiene
- It conducts training and certificate programs for people involved in the food business
FSSAI provides one mobile unit to each state or union territory to monitor the hygiene of the food and also the personal hygiene of the employees. Some states that have been provided with the mobile units are Arunachal Pradesh, Goa, Jharkhand, Jammu & Kashmir, Kerala, Manipur, Meghalaya, and Nagaland.
- The labs that come under the State Food Testing Labs should be strengthened in all the 45 State food labs by providing them with state-of-art, high-end food testing equipment inclusive of microbiology labs.
- The testing laboratories use a tool called DART (Detecting Adulterants with Rapid Testing) which enables to identify the presence of food adulterants quickly. This test is nothing but a compilation of simple test put together as one to spot the inappropriate ingredients that are added to the foods. By doing this, this can be an effective tool for the Food Business Operators and also as a ready home-guide for consumers that helps to prevent adulteration.
- FSSAI has appointed Junior Analyst Examination on top of the Food Analyst Examination to attend serious issues about food analysis in our country. With a team like this, it is possible to provide good services to the food industry and to the regulatory system.