starting a catering business

How to start a catering business

Guides » Business Startup Guide » How to start a catering business

How to Start a Catering Business

The growth of corporate India has led to a rise in demand for catering business. Catering businesses today service a number of IT Parks, Factories, Malls, Schools, Colleges, Hospitals and provide employment to lakhs of workers. With the Indian economy growing at over 7% each year and many more IT parks, malls and factories being built, the demand for catering services is set to grow in the coming years. In this article, we look at the procedure for starting a catering business in India.

Setting up the Entity

The first step in starting any business is to decide on an entity type. Since, the operations of a catering business is covered under the FSSAI Act – having stringent penalties for offenses, it is recommended that a catering business be setup as a private limited company or a limited liability partnership (LLP) or one person company.  In addition, the above entities are transferable; so, the licenses or business as a whole can be easily transferred to another person for consideration. Since the above entities offer limited liability protection and are transferable, it makes them ideal for a catering business.

The catering business can be setup as a Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) if the annual sales turnover would be less than Rs.40 lakhs and capital would be less than Rs.25 lakhs – as audit would be exempted. If the LLP would have a sales turnover in excess of Rs.40 lakhs of capital contribution in excess of Rs.25 lakhs, then it is best to start a private limited company.

It is  better not to start a One Person Company as it would mandatorily have to be converted to a private limited company when the annual sales turnover crosses Rs.2 crores.

Obtaining FSSAI Food Business License

A Food Business Operator License is a license granted by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India that allows the entity to carry on activities related to any stage of manufacturing, processing, packaging, storage, transportation, distribution of food, import and includes food services, catering services, sale of food or food ingredients. FSSAI Food Business License is required for a catering business.

To obtain FSSAI Food Business License, the incorporation documents of the business must be submitted along with proof of address, identity / resident proof of the promoters and details as per the application format. The FSSAI Food Business License for catering businesses is granted by the State Government. Hence, the application must be submitted to the local FSSAI office.

Tax Registration

The catering business would GST registration based on the annual sales turnover and state of operation. The services of a catering business will be covered under GST, if annual services provided by the catering business exceeds Rs.20 lakhs. When the catering business exceeds a turnover of Rs.20 lakhs, GST registration must be obtained and GST payment should start.

To know more about starting a catering business, visit

Want to Consult a Incorporation Expert?

IndiaFilings provides the entire range of services required to register a business in India. We can help you register a Proprietorship, LLP, Indian company or USA company. Please provide your information to consult an Incorporation Expert for free.

Income Tax eFiling

We have made the Income Tax eFiling, simple and easy. File your income tax return online with the dedicated Tax Experts support from IndiaFilings.

Authorised eReturn Intermediary (ERI ID: ERIA100945) is an Income Tax Department authorised eReturn Intermediary.

Comments (6)


May 27, 2015 at 5:49 PM

I require a loan of 20 lacs for starting a new restaurant business .Kindly guide me how to get this loan for a new enterprenaur .


Guruprasad Pise

Nov 09, 2015 at 3:12 PM

Hi, I want to start both tiffin services (mini meals ) and delivery of special items at doorstep of customer as per order from customers. But I wont be able to cook at customer place nor at there canteen. i would like to serve my special food cooked items (for lunch and dinner) in big tiffins. What kind of business license i need to register for. (Should it fall under mess OR catering or hotel). The place where I will cook the food is home and no customer will be allowed to visit the premises, but infact the orders will be received via online or telephone and delivered to customer.



Mar 15, 2016 at 12:32 PM

Hi , I am planning to start a catering business for weddings and receptions. Kindly guide me as to what will be the start up investment cost for this business to take its heads up?



Mar 16, 2016 at 6:40 PM

Hi Vaidyanathan,
you can discuss this with our Business Advisors. Please contact 04440247777 or email [email protected]



Apr 14, 2017 at 6:14 PM


I would like to acquire a license for Corporate Catering, although all the food will be made by a central/third party Kitchen, but the packaging & serving will be mine.
Please help me with what kind of license would i require to kick this off



Trivedi Bhavesh

May 30, 2017 at 4:04 PM

I want to start cattering n restaurant bussinesss , please guide me n want loan for this bussiness atleast 20 lakhs


Leave a comment