FSSAI Standards for Meat Products
FSSAI Standards for Meat Products
The Food Safety and Standards Act sets the standards of food manufactured and consumed in India. The FSSAI Act also regulates the manufacture, storage, distribution, sales, import, availability of wholesome food and other matters that are related to food and food safety by issuing FSSAI registration to various businesses. There are many modifications that are being made each year to these regulations to ensure that the food is more safely protected for human consumption. One such regulation is the FSSAI standards for meat products. In this article, we look at the standard set by the FSSAI for meat products that is fresh, chilled or processed.
Definition of Meat Products under FSSAI
Under FSSAI, meat products are divided into fresh meat, poultry, and processed meat. Fresh meat is meat that has not undergone any chemical treatments with preservatives to extend its nature of freshness. Processed meat is meat that has undergone various methods like salting it, drying it, processing or fermenting it by non-heat treatment and also by using preservatives.
How to Maintain Meat Products
There are some measures that are to be followed in meat storage and handling under FSSAI. Fresh meat should be chilled between 0-7 degree celsius and frozen meat should be stored at -18 degree celsius or below. All frozen meat should be consumed within 10 days.
Further, all meat products should be stored under proper labelling and with adequate segregation to maintain the temperature control at the time of storage. All raw materials, food additives, and ingredients should follow the regulations of the Food Safety and Standards Act. The containers used for storing must be made of non-toxic material. There should be an adequate supply of water and proper facilities for safe and clean storage of water. The water should be examined beforehand to detect the presence of chemicals and bacteria and this should be done by a NABL Accredited laboratory.
Other Requirements for Meat Products
The following are some of the special FSSAI regulations for meat products.
- Phosphate salts can be added to the ingredients by means of injection, pumping, massaging, tumbling, marinating or mixing and the salts can be added only for 0.5% to the products.
- Words like “must be cooked”, “cook and serve”, “raw product”, “uncooked” or words related to this phrase must be imprinted on the products of meat for the customers’ information.
- Cooking instructions like the temperature at which it should be cooked must be mentioned in the packaging.
- Some meat products can be consumed as a ready to eat food and therefore instructions and expiry date should be given in the labels of the products.
- The food products that are frozen during storage should carry the words, “previously frozen”. This is applicable for both the packaged and non-packaged meat products.
- Veterinary drugs should be used for products such as animal husbandry, dairying, and fisheries.
- Genetically modified techniques should not be used on the meat of animals or poultry birds.
- Certain cow’s meat or bone meal, internal organs, blood meal and tissues should not be used for manufacturing of the meat product.
- Appropriate inspection and certification should be done on products that are to be imported.