FSMS Declaration Format
FSMS Declaration Format
Food Safety Standards Authority of India FSSAI registration or FSSAI license is required in India for any type of person or entity involved in food manufacturing or processing or packaging or distributing. FSMS declaration is an essential part of the FSSAI licensing process. It serves as a mandatory annexure to the application for a food license/FSSAI Registration. As per the FSS Act, 2006, every FBO must devise the FSMS plan before applying for the respective food license. The authority shall revoke any application without this FSMS plan.
Food Safety Management System plan (FSMS)
FSMS, i.e. Food Safety Management System plan, refers to a set of standards intended to control food safety aspects. Many international standards such as ISO 22000, HACCP, FSSC 22000, etc are presently being referred for Food safety management. But, these are referred to as voluntary certifications. FSMS, as defined in the FSS Act, 2006, implies the adoption of Good Hygienic Practices, Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points, Good Manufacturing Practices, and other practices as may be recommended by regulation. The FSMS plan needs to be submitted along with the application for the FSSAI license.
While applying for an FSSAI License, applicants are supposed to furnish an FSMS declaration on the company’s letterhead. This declaration serves as a confirmation that the applicant has;
- Devised a food safety plan to ensure that articles of food are stored or prepared in a hygienic and safe manner in accordance with the FSS Act, 2006
- Made an arrangement for the future implementation of the FSMS Plan
- Committed to certifying the FSMS Plan from the accredited agency as soon as such, an agency is notified by the Food Authority.
- Committed to ensuring adherence to general sanitary and hygiene norms as cited under schedule 4 of the Food Safety & Standards (Licensing & Registration of food businesses) regulations, 2011.
Other information to be enclosed by the applicant in the declaration for FSMS
- Name of the Entity/ Applicant
- Designation of the applicant such as partner, director, proprietor, Authorized signatory
- Address of the applicant’s firm
- Purpose of filing declaration
- Product name and description as mentioned in form B.
FSSAI Registration or License
As per the FSSAI Act, all food business operators in India must have an FSSAI registration or license if they are involved in the manufacturing, storage, transportation, or distribution of food products. Based on the size and nature of the business, FSSAI registration or FSSAI license may be required.
- FSSAI registration is required for all petty food business operators. A petty food business operator is any person or entity who:
- Manufactures or sells any article of food himself or a petty retailer, hawker, itinerant vendor, or temporary stall holder; or
- Distributes foods including in any religious or social gathering except a caterer; or
- Other food businesses including small-scale or cottage or such other industries relating to food business or tiny food businesses with an annual turnover not exceeding Rs 12 lakhs and whose:
- Production capacity of food (other than milk and milk products and meat and meat products) does not exceed 100 kg/ltr per day or
- Procurement or handling and collection of milk is up to 500 liters of milk per day or
- Slaughtering capacity is 2 large animals or 10 small animals or 50 poultry birds per day or less.
Any person or entity that does not classify as a petty food business operator is required to obtain an FSSAI license for operating a food business in India.
Creating FSMS Declaration
FSMS Declaration must be submitted with all FSSAI applications. The declaration must be printed on the letterhead of the business and signed by the authorized persons making the FSSAI application mentioned in the application with the business seal. Once complete, a scanned copy of the FSMS declaration can be uploaded on the FSSAI portal.
Download FSMS Declaration Format
You can also download the FSMS Declaration format in the following formats.