Software Technology Parks of India (STPI)
Software Technology Parks of India (STPI)
Software Technology Parks (STPI) of India was established in 1991 as an autonomous society under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY). STPI strives to promote software exports from the country and has been implementing Software Technology Park (STP) scheme and Electronics Hardware Technology Park (EHTP) scheme for the promotion of IT/ITES industry. Let us have a look on Software Technology Parks of India in this article.
A total of 58 STPI centres/sub-centres are operational throughout the country, from which 50 centres are located in Tier-II and Tier-III cities. STPI has joined hands with the concerned State Government/local authorities to create more space and has been utilizing state-of-the-art infrastructure facilities to enhance the software industry to increase exports.
The primary services offered by STPI for IT/ITES/ESDM industry, covers legal services, incubation facilities, data communications services and other things that are listed below.
STPI has been implementing the Software Technology Park (STP) scheme and Electronic HarwareTechnology Park (EHTP) scheme for the promotion of IT/ITES industry. STP is a unique scheme that is designed to promote the software industry, growth of startups and SMEs without any locational restrictions.
STPI offers ultra-modern office facilities to small units and entrepreneurs. This has assisted many entrepreneurs in starting their operations and developing their organizations in a competitive environment. The incubation services of STPI includes:
- Ready to work office-space with reliable network connectivity at appealing tariffs. Product Development and R&D are treated for the preferred categories, leading to the growth of IPR generation.
- Associated service on a usage basis.
- Opportunities for participation in events and promotion through STPI websites.
- Access to tools, labs mentoring, marketing etc.
High-Speed Data Communication (HSDC) is one of STPI’s remarkable contributions in the software-exporting sector. STPI has been designed and developed with state-of-the-art HSDC network called SoftNET for software exporters. Local access to the international gateway is provided via point-to-point and point-to-multipoint microwave radios that have met the last mile problem and enabled STPI to maintain an uptime more than 99%.
STPI’s strong domain knowledge, technology capabilities and process knowledge have offered the below-given services:
- Technology consulting and project management services to several national and international organisations.
- Provide services to enlarge state-of-the-art communication network infrastructure, network management systems, data centres and network operation centres etc. for several state governments and central government departments.
- Provide operation and maintenance assistance for networks that range from enterprise to e-governance.
India BPO Promotion Scheme and North East BPO Promotion Scheme
STPI is the central agency to implement the India BPO Promotion Scheme (IBPS) and North East BPO Promotion Scheme (NEBPS) under Digital India Initiative. The scheme aims to create 1.5 lakh (approx.) jobs opportunities for the local youth of smaller towns and attracts investment in the respective regions for all-round development. These schemes help in creating the right ecosystem that is essential for the growth of smaller towns and brings prosperity to these locations.
Features of IBPS and NEBPS
- The schemes provide financial assistance with incentives such as encouraging employment for women and physically disabled individuals, setting up operations in other than State Capitals, promoting local entrepreneurs etc. up to one lakh/seat through Viability Gap Funding (VGF).
- The selection of eligible companies to establish BPO/ITES operations under IBPS via an online bidding process.
- Around 48,300 BPO/ITES seats have been distributed across the states/UT under IBPS and 5000 seats for BPO/ITES operations in North East Region under NEBPS.
- Under IBPS, 138 companies have established BPO-ITES operations for more than 100 locations that cover every state and UT.
- Under NEBPS, bidders can set up BPO/ITES operations that are distributed almost in every state of NER.
STPI has established ‘Orchid Techspace’, the state-of-the-art Technology Incubation Infrastructure in Bangalore along with the State Government. ‘Orchid Techspace’ is created to encourage start-ups to own Intellectual Property within the country. It has incubated more than 60 startups, out of which many successful companies have emerged.
TechNEST Technology Incubation Facility
STPI has established state-of-the-art ‘TechNEST Technology Incubation Facility’ in Chennai to help and nurture startups that used innovative technologies. The incubation facility has a built-up area of 24000 square feet. This facility has incubated 55 startups and has developed products in less preferred areas like Network Management, IT Security, Mobile Application, Cloud Computing, E-Commerce, Health-care, Machine Learning, Software Testing etc.
Electronic System Design and Manufacturing (ESDM) is considered to be one of the fastest growing sectors of the Indian economy. To support the new entrepreneurs of this industry, STPI along with the University of Delhi and Indian Electronics and Semiconductor Association (IESA), has established an Electropreneur Park in Delhi. This initiative supports 50 startups in ESDM space and aims to create at least five global companies within five years. The park focuses on local IP creation and indigenous product development that results in increased domestic value addition.
Centre of Excellence (CoE)
In order to make sure India builds leadership in emerging sectors of IoT, BlockChain and FinTech, Artificial Intelligence, Augmented and Virtual Reality, Medical Electronics and Healthcare etc and to construct the next wave of blooming entrepreneurs, the Government of India has declared to set up a Centre of Excellence in specific domains across the nation. This CoEs provides structural and fundamental support with required awareness, training, hand-holding lab and incubation support etc. CoEs are established by a collaborative approach by STPI and acts as a single-window facilitation centre to extend requisite lab support, funding and mentoring. CoEs have dedicated Chief Mentor and Eminent experts who serve as the brand ambassador of a particular CoE.
CoE in Virtual and Augmented Reality
STPI, along with several stakeholders, has established VARCOR in Bhubaneswar. Virtual/Augmented Reality COE (VARCOE) strives to create a high potential ecosystem for carrying out R&D activity in VAR, immersive visualization and applications. VARCOE gives impetus to R&D, skill development, workforce creation through the innovative education program and foster technology incubation and entrepreneurship in IT and ESDM sector.
CoE in IoT and Electronic Products
STPI, along with several stakeholders has set up CoE in IoT and Electronic Products in Bengaluru. STPI IoT focuses on sectors like health, education, automotive, defence, aeronautics, industrial, agriculture etc.
Promotion of Small and Medium Entrepreneurs
STPI has been promoting SMEs and offers incubation services, organizes events, sponsors/co-sponsors events and participates in events and exports promotion efforts.