Karnataka Trade License
Karnataka Trade License
Trade license is a permit issued by a municipal corporation granting permission to a person or entity to carry on a particular business at a specific premise. It ensures that the citizens are not adversely affected by health hazards and perils brought forth by the improper conduct of trade. It is a system that also ensures the manner of business pursued by a company is in accordance with the specified rules, safety guidelines and standards. The terms of trade license are laid down by the State Government, who is entrusted with the task of regulating and observing the trade within a city. If a trade is found to be unauthorized, it will be considered as an offense and may result in substantial penalty and prosecution. In this article, we look at the requirements and eligibility for obtaining Karnataka trade license.
Features of Trade License
Why Trade License?: To safeguard the society at large against the nuisance and health hazard which a trader/business may cause. Trade license is a way to regulate the trade and to ensure compliance with rule and safety guidelines issued by the government.
Who Need Trade License?: Every trader involved in a general trading activity within the territorial boundaries of any municipal corporation is required to get a trade license. The class of trade license varies based on the nature of the business.
Licensing Authority For Trade License: Trade License is issued by the authorized department of a municipal corporation in consultation with other departments like health, fire brigade or engineering.
Commercial Premises: Trade License can only be obtained if the business is run in the approved area. i.e. a commercial, Local commercial, Notified Commercial, Residential area or Mixed Land Use with small shops on the ground floor.
Shop and Establishments Act
Shop and Establishment Act lays down the following stipulations based on which Karnataka trade license is issued:
- The permissible working hours on a daily and weekly basis that includes rest intervals, opening and closing hours, overtime policies, allocation of work, holidays, closed days, etc.
- Regulation of employment norms for people of all gender and age.
- Rules and regulations concerning paid leaves.
- Conditions for employment and termination.
- Regulations concerning the maintenance of records and registers.
- Regulations concerning the display of notices.
- The responsibility of the employer and employee towards each other, the firm and the society.
Businesses Requiring Trade License
Any trading activity mentioned in Schedule X of the Karnataka Municipal Corporation Act, 1976 cannot be initiated unless a trade license is obtained under Section 353 of the Act. The application for seeking the license must be made at least 30 days before the date of initiation of trade to the municipal corporation of the respective jurisdiction.
It may be noted that trade license is not the same as the Shops and Establishment registration. While registration under the Shops and Establishment act must be be obtained within 30 days of the commencement of business, trade license must be under the trader’s disposal before starting the business. The objective of Shops and Establishment Act is to control the working conditions of employment, whereas the purpose of a trade license is to ensure the general health and safety of the public. The following are some of the types of trade requiring a trade license:
- All the eating establishments such as hotels, restaurants, food stall, canteen, bakeries, sellers of vegetables, provisions store, meat, etc.
- Trades which use motives like manufacturing industries, power looms, factories, flour mills, cyber café, etc.
- Offensive and dangerous trades like a sale of firewood, dhobi shop, barber shop, timber wood, candle manufacturer, cracker manufacturer, etc.
The following documents must be submitted to obtain a Karnataka trade license:
- The Id and address proof of the owner of the business.
- Passport size photograph of the applicant
- Documents portraying details of the approval of the plant and building permit.
- Documents related to the building, which could be a property tax receipt (for an own building) or rental agreement (for a rented building).
- The proof of the premises with a NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the owner of the premises where the trade license is needed.
- The receipt of property payment.
- Details of power, premises or machinery plant.
- NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the Pollution Control Board.
- NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the Fire and Revenue Services Department.
- The Katha Extract which is an account of assessment on a yearly basis of the property tax assessment with the details of the property such as its size, location, built up area, etc.
Trade License Issuing Department in Karnataka
In the State of Karnataka, BBMP (Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike) issues the trade license to industries and shops having the place of business within its jurisdiction. It is also empowered to seal or close any premises which are being used for the specified trade as per schedule X of the act.
One can apply for Karnataka Trade License by following the steps mentioned below:
Step 1: Please visit the home page of Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) and click on ” Citizen Services ” option.
Step 2: On the next page select the “Trade License ” option.
Step 3: Choose “Online Trade License New Registration” option in the portal.
Step 4: Now, click on ” Continue ” option after agreeing with the terms and conditions.
Step 5: The trade license online application form will be displayed on the screen. Fill out all the required details and select “Next” option for successful registration.
Trade License Validity and Renewal
Trade license is conferred with a validity of up to 31st March every year. After the expiry of the license, it can be renewed by filing an affidavit stating that the owner of the business is still running the trade and intend to continue the same in the subsequent year as well. The procedure is the same as the application procedure for the trade license.
Income Tax eFiling
We have made the Income Tax eFiling, simple and easy. File your income tax return online with the dedicated Tax Experts support from IndiaFilings.
IndiaFilings.com (ERI ID: ERIA100945) is an Income Tax Department authorised eReturn Intermediary.