Gujarat Domicile Certificate
Gujarat Domicile Certificate
Domicile certificate is a legal proof, which certifies that a person resides in a particular State. This certificate is an essential document to claim the rights and benefits of the State that he/she lives. The concerned State Government provides this certificate to its applicant. Residents of the State of Gujarat can obtain domicile certificate as proof that he/she dwelled in a particular village or town or ward continuously over a period and intended to make Gujarat as his/her permanent residence. Recently, the Government has introduced Digital Gujarat online portal to apply for the domicile certificate. In this article, we look at the eligibility and requirements for obtaining the Gujarat Domicile Certificate in detail.
Benefits of Obtaining Domicile Certificate
Domicile certificate needs to be provided for various purposes. The following are the advantages of getting a domicile certificate are listed below :
- For obtaining the local preference, domicile certificate can be submitted in several situations.
- Using this certificate, students can get admission in the educational institution while their parents have transferable jobs.
- Domicile certificate is one of the mandatory documents to apply for specific scholarship schemes and quotas.
- For obtaining the ration card, it is an essential document to prove permanent residency.
- Domicile certificate is also very useful for applying for State government jobs where residents are preferred.
Note:- The State Government of Gujarat has announced that domicile certificate is mandatory for students those who are seeking admissions to medical and paramedical courses. It is also applicable to the following courses in the State such as Dental, Ayurveda, Homoeopathy and Naturopathy.
A person should comply with the following criteria of eligibility to get the domicile certificate in the State of Gujarat:
- The applicant should be a resident of Gujarat.
- Any person who was born in Gujarat and had been residing therein at least for ten years is eligible. The wife and minor children having his residence in Gujarat are also suitable.
- The applicant should hold land or any immovable property in Gujarat for which the copy of Record of Rights (RoR) must be submitted.
- A woman who belongs to another State but has married a permanent resident of Gujarat is also eligible.
- Any person or her/his family member who was in regular Government service of Gujarat can apply for the domicile certificate.
- To get a domicile certificate for a person of unsound mind, a declaration made by his parent/guardian is acceptable.
Note:- Acquiring domicile certificate from more than one State/UT will be considered as an offence and the applicant is allowed to possess a domicile Certificate from only one State/UT under the governing law.
One can avail domicile certificate by furnishing the following documents:
a) Address proof (Any of the following is mandatory )
- Ration Card
- Electricity bill
- Telephone bill
- Voter ID
- Driving License
b) Identity Proof ( Any of the following is mandatory)
- PAN Card
- Photo identity of any document issued by the Government
- A photo identity issued by an approved educational institution
- Government photo cards/ any card issued by Public Sector Undertakings (PSU )
c) Proof Needed In Service Attachment
- Certificate of Talati.
- Domicile by Birth (Birth Certificate)
- Last ten years of residence proof
Domicile Certificate Issuing Authority in the State of Gujarat
The Mamlatdar is the head of Taluka and is responsible for issuing the domicile certificate to the eligible applicant.
Step 1: The applicant should visit the home page of Digital Gujarat.
Step 2: Now, choose the option “Services” which is visible on the home page.
Step 3: Then click on ” Citizen Services ” option in the drop-down list, it will redirect the applicant to the citizen services page where all the services of the Gujarat State Government will be listed one after another.
Step 4: In the following page, click on ” Domicile Certificate ” option.
Step 5: Click on ” Download Form ” option and download the application form in a PDF format. Then fill out the application form with required details and submit it to the concerned authority along with the necessary documents.Gujarat Domicile Certificate
Note:- The concerned authority will issue the Domicile Certificate within a week from the date of successful submission of the form excluding the Government holidays. As per the GO, the domicile certificate has lifetime validity.