Uttar Pradesh Marriage Registration
Uttar Pradesh Marriage Registration
The Uttar Pradesh Marriage Registration Rules 2017 provides for the compulsory registration of all marriages solemnised in the State. Marriages can be registered under the Uttar Pradesh Hindu Marriage Registration Rules, 1973. On registering a marriage, the marriage registration certificate will be issued. Marriage Certificate is an important document as it is a legal proof of marriage between two individuals. In this article, we will look at the procedure for obtaining the Uttar Pradesh marriage registration certificate.
Uttar Pradesh Marriage Registration Rules 2017
Central Government’s rule regarding marriage registration has been implemented in UP since August 2017 by Women Welfare Department. As per the provision of this rule, the UP Government has made marriage registration mandatory in the state, including the Muslim community. Marriage needs to be registered for the following purposes:
- To prevent child marriages
- For enabling widows to claim inheritance
- To help women to exercise their rights of maintenance from husband and custody of children
- To check bigamy or polygamy
- To serve as a deterrent to husbands deserting their wives
Uttar Pradesh Hindu Marriage Registration Rules, 1973
As per the rules of UP Hindu Marriage Registration Rules, 1973, the below-mentioned conditions should be satisfied by the bride and groom:
- Marriages should be performed under Hindu customs
- Groom and Bridegroom should be Hindus
- Groom should have completed 21 years, and bride age should be 18 years at the time of marriage
- Any of the below-mentioned places should fall within the jurisdiction of the Registering Officer in Uttar Pradesh
- Residence of bridegroom
- Residence of the bride
- Solemnization place
Benefits of Marriage Certificate
The following are the purposes of obtaining Uttar Pradesh marriage certificate:
- Marriage certificate proves that a woman is legally married to the person (Details are in the marriage certificate)
- Marriage registration certificate enables social security and self-confidence to a married woman
- The marriage certificate is mandatory for claiming bank deposits or insurance-related benefit to a spouse
- In the case of a married person, marriage certificate needs to be produced for applying for a passport
Documents necessary for obtaining registering marriage in Uttar Pradesh are:
- Marriage registration Application forms
- Affidavit in the prescribed format
- Age proof of the Groom and Bride – Birth certificate or Mark Sheet
- Address Proof – Ration card, Voter ID, Driving licence, Passport
- Address Proof – Aadhaar Card, PAN Card and Voter ID
- Photographs of couples (Joint Photo of bride and groom)
- Wedding Card (Marriage invitation letter)
- Witness Photographs – Two witness
Validity of Marriage Certificate
UP Vivah Panjikaran is valid for a lifetime.
The applicable fee for registering marriage in Uttar Pradesh:
|Marriage registration within the month of solemnization|
|Marriage registration after 30 days of solemnization|
Penalty for Delayed Registration
UP Government has also fixed penalties for delay in marriage registration additional Rs.10 for delays up to a year and Rs. 50 for every additional year.
Marriage Registration Procedure
UP Government marriage registration through online is an Aadhaar based process. Both the bride and groom should possess a valid Aadhaar card to register their marriage online. The following are the guidelines for registering marriage in Uttar Pradesh:
Step 1: Visit the home page of the Integrated Grievance Redressal System (IGRSUP).
Step 2: By clicking the option, apply under Marriage registration, the page will redirect to the next page.
Step 3: In this page, enter the Aadhaar number of the Groom. Once entered, an OTP will be sent to the groom’s registered mobile number.
After entering OTP, all details of the Groom will be sourced from the Aadhaar database (UID), including the photo.
Step 4: On the next screen, the applicant needs to enter the bride’s mobile number and further the OTP. Once OTP is entered, the bride details will be fetched from the UID database.
Step 5: In the next page, the applicant needs to fill all the other personal details of the Groom as given in the PDF.UP-marriage-registration-online 1
Step 6: Upload photograph and all other documents of groom mentioned above and click on save.
Step 7: In the next step, the applicant needs to enter all the details of the bride and upload documents of the bride. Click on saveUP-marriage-registration-online 2
Step 8: After providing all the details of the bride and groom, the applicant has to enter details of marriage such as date of marriage and place of marriage. After filling details, click on save.UP-marriage-registration-online 3
Step 9: Details of witnesses to be entered and upload photographs.UP-marriage-registration-online-4
Step 10: After entering all the details, the applicant can preview the details already entered.
Step 11: If all the details are correct, read the message and click on submit.
Step 12: Application number with the password will appear, note it for future reference.
Step 13: The applicant needs to pay a fee for marriage registration (refer above).
Step 14: After processing, the concerned authority will issue the Marriage Certificate.
Marriage Registration Verification
Select marriage verification option from home page of IGRSUP. The page will redirect to the new page, provide application number and marriage date.
Click on to ‘see button’ to verify the details of marriage verification.
Log in to the portal again using application number and password for downloading marriage certificate. Enter the captcha image shown and click on sign in. Download the marriage certificate.