Pondicherry Birth Certificate
Pondicherry Birth Certificate
A birth certificate is an identity document that allows an applicant to avail various services offered by the Indian Government to its citizens. This certificate serves to establish the date and fact of one’s birth for a whole range of purposes such as acquiring the right to vote, admission to schools, right to marry at the legally permissible age, settlement of inheritance and property rights, and for obtaining Government-issued documents like driving license and passport. In this article, we look at the procedure for obtaining a birth certificate in Pondicherry.
Purpose of Birth Certificate
The birth certificate can be used for the following purposes. They are:
- The birth certificate enables the applicant to obtain a Residence Certificate.
- This certificate enables the applicant to apply for Caste Certificate.
- This certificate is an essential document while applying for the Death Certificate.
- This certificate helps the applicant while applying for the ration card and pension plan enrollment.
Every birth should be registered to the concerned State or Union Territory within 21 days of its occurrence as per the Birth and Death Registration Act, 1969. However, one has to make the registration procedures for births occurring in different places.
- The head of the family or the nearest relative of the child should register the birth if it has occurred in-house.
- Deputy Superintendent of the hospital or officers-in-charge should register the birth if it has occurred in the hospital.
- Medical officer should register the birth if it has occurred in Maternity Home or other nursing institutions.
- The jail in-charge should register the birth if it has occurred in jail.
- The person-in-charge should register the birth if it has occurred in a Dharamshala, Boarding house etc.
- The person-in-charge of the vehicle should register the birth if it has occurred in a moving vehicle.
- The Headman of the village or the in charge of the local police station should register the birth if it has occurred in an abandoned place.
The following documents are essential while applying for the birth certificate in Pondicherry.
- Application form
- Parent’s marriage certificate
- Parents address proof
- Certified Birth Report Form -1 by Medical Authority
- Affidavit (Notary Signed)
The applicant can apply for the birth certificate in Pondicherry both online and offline method.
Online Application Procedure
Step 1: Visit the home page of Pondicherry Municipality
Step 2: Move the cursor to the option “Download” where the dropdown will show you the list of Online Forms, and click on “Registration of Birth”.
Step 3: Now, enter the name, date of birth, gender details, and address proof in the online application form and click on “Send Application” option in the web portal.
Offline Application Procedure
Step 1: Visit the home page of Pondicherry Municipality.
Step 2: Move the cursor to the option “Download” the dropdown will show the list of Download Forms where click on “Registration of Birth” and download the application form in a PDF format.
Step 3: Fill up the application form correctly and submit it to the office of Sub-Registrar along with the required documents.Pondicherry Birth Certificate Application Form