Mizoram Death Certificate
Mizoram Death Certificate
In every state of India, it is mandatory to register the birth and death of a person with the concerned authorities. A death certificate is a record of an individual issued by the State Government declaring a person’s demise officially. In Mizoram, Department of economic and statistic under the government of Mizoram issues the death certificate. In this article, we look at the procedure for obtaining Mizoram death certificate in detail.
Registration of Birth & Death Act, 1969
Registration of Birth & Deaths Act, 1969 governs the process of registering birth and death in India. All the important details like place of births or deaths and vital particular at the time of Births or Deaths are recorded during this registration process.
Purpose of Obtaining Death Certificate
Death certificates are essential for the following below-given purposes.
- A death certificate is documentary proof for the cause of death of a person.
- Death certificate gives information related to the time of death, date of death and place of death of a person.
- A death certificate can relieve the person from social, legal and official commitments.
- To settle the property inheritance, a death certificate is one of the mandatory documents.
- The death certificate is enabling the family member of the deceased to collect insurance and other benefits.
- A death certificate is also used for genealogical information.
Who Can Register Death?
The death of an individual has to be registered within 21 days from the date of death. The following person is responsible for registering the death.
- If death occurs in the house, the head of the household is eligible to register the death in the concerned Registrar Office.
- If the death happens in the hospital, a person authorisable by the medical institution is responsible for recording /registering the death in the respective Registrar Office.
- If death occurs in Jail, the jail in-charge can register the death with the concerned Registrar Office.
- If death occurs in a public place, the local police in-charge or headman of the village can record the death.
To apply for a Death certificate in Mizoram, follow the documents specified below:
- Certificate of Doctor / Draftsman from cremation Ghats
- Certificate issued by ward members or doctors
- Date of death
- Proof of address
- Place of death
- Post-mortem report if death caused by accident
- Death report from the concerned authority if death occurs in any hospital, Jail or police station.
This service has been provided through the Health Officer/ Chief, i.e. Director of Economics and Statistics of the state or else the citizens can also get it by approaching the local Registrar of Births and Deaths in their area.
The person can apply for a death certificate by remitting processing fees as below:
- For without fees- Birth and death can be reported within 21 days from the date of the event.
- Charge of Rs. 2- After 21 days and within 30 days, citizens can register with permission of birth and death registrar.
- Charge of Rs. 5- After one month but within 1-year from date of birth/death, permission is granted of the additional chief registrar of birth and death and director economic and static.
- Charge of Rs. 10- After one year and above registration permission from the magistrate 1st class in the prescribed form.
Offline Application Process:
To obtain a death certificate in Mizoram, follow the procedure given below:
Step 1: The applicant should fill out the application form and must submit the prescribed documents to their concerned District/Town Registrar.
Step 2: Fill in the application form with all the mandatory details.
Step 3: Then submit the application form along with the prescribed documents to the concerned authority.
Step 4: Now pay the prescribed fee in the office. After submitting the application form, collect the acknowledgement receipt check the status of the application form.
Step 5: Once the application is successfully processed, the certificate can be obtained from the concerned office where the application was submitted.
Applying through Mizoram e-District – Online
To apply for death certificate through Mizoram e-District online, follow the guidelines given below:
Step 1: The applicant has to visit the official e-District portal of Mizoram to apply for the death certificate.
Step 2: Then log in to the portal with your username and password, if a new user, and then register yourself into the e-District portal to avail online certificate services.
Step 3: On clicking, the citizen registration page will appear where the new user has to provide all the mandatory information and click on the “Submit” button.
Step 4: Once the account has been activated, apply for the death certificate.
Step 5: Fill all the necessary details in the death certificate application form and click on the submit button.
Step 6: Once the application has successfully submitted, an acknowledgement slip with an application number will be displayed. Take a print of this slip for future reference.
Status of Application
Track the application status online by visiting the e-District of Mizoram. Select ‘Application status’ option. In the next page, provide application number. By clicking on search, the application will be displayed on the screen.
On approving the request for application, an SMS will be sent to the registered mobile number notifying that the application has been approved. Verify the death certificate through Mizoram e-District portal by clicking on the certificate verification option. Now give all the details and click on search; verify the details of the death certificate.
Download Death Certificate
After verification, if District Magistrates approves the request for a death certificate, Mizoram death certificate can be downloaded online via e-District. Login to the portal again and get digitally signed death certificate which is valid and can be used for all the above-mentioned purposes.