LIFE Mission Kerala
LIFE Mission Kerala
The Kerala LIFE (Livelihood Inclusion and Financial Empowerment) is a comprehensive housing scheme started by the Kerala government for all the landless and homeless people. The LIFE Mission scheme intends to provide housing to nearly 4.3 lakhs homeless families in the next five years. Under this scheme, homeless will be provided with modern housing complexes with provision for pursuing their livelihoods. In this article, we look at the Kerala LIFE Mission Scheme in detail.
Also, read about Nava Kerala Mission
The LIFE Mission will benefit families with incomplete/dilapidated houses, families having semi-legal/semi-permanent houses in government land or in coastal regions families and families who are landless and houseless.
The priority would be given to the families under the following categories:
- Destitute people
- Mentally challenged/paralyzed/blind
- Individuals suffering from fatal diseases
- Individuals who are unable to engage in livelihood activities due to accident or prolonged diseases.
- Unmarried mothers
Assistance from the Government
- Under this project, the Kerala government will provide financial assistance to the houseless families with the area/land for construction of new houses at the rate of Rs.35 lakhs for the people belonging to the general category and Rs.4 lakhs to Scheduled Caste, plantation workers and fishermen. The beneficiaries belonging to the Scheduled Tribe category will be assisted with the actual cost for the completion of houses.
- Also, the families owing dilapidated or incomplete houses will be granted with financial assistance for the construction of those houses, based upon the valuation done through Third Party Technical Agencies (TPTA).
Mode of Implementation
An action plan will be prepared at the LSGI level, and the financial support in the form of Corporate Social Responsibility, donations from Charitable societies, NRIs, NGOs etc. will be mobilized to fulfil the target.
Selection of Beneficiaries
The social and economic caste survey will be conducted by the Central government will be considered to identify the beneficiary.
- The field level officers will address the identified beneficiaries for verification and submit the appropriate documents and details to local self-government institutions.
- The list of shortlisted beneficiaries will be published at District level or local panchayat office.
The housing scheme is being monitored by the Cheif Minister of Kerala, and so far the government has prepared a list of 51,3000 beneficiaries under Kerala LIFE Mission scheme. The Government has already provided over 1,76,000 homes in the year 2018-2019.
Also, the State Government have completed nearly 66,750 construction of houses under this scheme. But from the overall list, the government has selected 6000 fishermen, 14,085 Scheduled Tribes (ST) category and 75,065 Scheduled Caste (SC) category for first phase house distribution. To make the program more efficient, the contribution from the private sector companies are performed.
Mobilisation of Fund
Fund mobilisation will be done by the involvement of stakeholders. The Government will directly take a loan to support LSGIs and fund will be mobilised through Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), Donations from Charitable Societies, NGOs, NRIs, etc.
The total outlay for Kerala Life Mission is expected to be Rs.22920 crores over five years. As a part of this amount will be contributed for the PMAY Rural and PMAY Urban Housing Schemes, State Departmental schemes which include ST, SC, Fisheries, Sainik Welfare, Minority, Labour etc. The remaining amount of the loan will be repaid by deducting funds from the Development Fund and Finance Commission Grants of LSGI from Block Panchayat, Gram Panchayat and District Panchayat respectively.
The following are the documents to be produced at the time of applying for the scheme:
- Aadhar Card
- Caste Certificate
- Ration card
- Income certificate
- Voter identity card
Application Procedure for the Scheme
To register for Kerala Life Mission scheme, follow the steps mentioned below:
Visit Official Website
Step 1: The applicant can directly approach the official portal of Kerala Life Mission Scheme.
Login into Portal
Step 2: Firstly, the applicant needs to complete the initial login process. Click on the “Login ” button which is visible on the home screen of the portal.
Provide Login Details
Step 3: On the next page, enter the user name and password and click on “log in” button to access the portal.
Step 4: Once the initial registration is completed, the applicant will have to register for the respective scheme.
Fill the Details
Step 5: Fill the application form with the necessary details and save your application along with the documents required.
Verification of Form
Step 6: After submitting the form, the State Authority will verify and approve the beneficiaries to avail the benefits under the LIFE Mission scheme.
Phase 1 List–LIFE Mission
- Any applicant who seeks to view the complete beneficiary list for Phase 1 of the Mission can log in to the official portal using the link provided and download the PDF format of the list updated.
- Apart from this application can also view the report of the ongoing project at any phase by logging on to the official website or by clicking the link.