GST number Search
GST number Search
Searching for a GST number is crucial for verifying the authenticity of a business and confirming adherence to GST regulations. Conducting a GST number search and verification enables you to promptly obtain essential information about registered taxpayers, such as their official names, operational addresses, GSTIN status, and other relevant details. In this article, we will delve into GST Number Search.
IndiaFilings offers all users a complimentary GST search and verification service through LEDGERS.Get Started!
What is GST Registration?
GST Registration is a mandatory process for businesses in India that must comply with the Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime. It involves obtaining a unique identification number known as GSTIN (Goods and Services Tax Identification Number).
By obtaining GST registration, businesses become eligible to collect and pay GST, claim input tax credits, and participate in inter-state trade. It is a critical step in ensuring compliance with the GST laws and being a part of the formal economy.
Who Should Register for GST?
GST registration is a mandatory requirement for businesses involved in the supply of goods, and the threshold for registration varies based on specific criteria. Here are the key points:
The threshold for Goods Suppliers
Businesses that supply goods with an annual turnover exceeding INR 40 lakh must register as regular taxable entities. However, in specific regions such as the northeastern states, Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, and Uttarakhand, the threshold limit is lower at INR 10 lakh.
Threshold for Service Providers
Service providers must register if their annual turnover exceeds INR 20 lakh. In special category states, the threshold is reduced to INR 10 lakh.
In addition to turnover-based criteria, certain businesses must register for GST regardless of turnover. These businesses include:
- Casual Taxable Persons
- Input Service Distributors (ISD)
- Non-Resident Taxable Persons
- Inter-State Suppliers of Goods and Services
- Suppliers of Goods through E-commerce Portals
- All Service Providers
- Entities Liable to Pay Tax under the Reverse Charge Mechanism
- TDS/TCS Deductors
- Online Data Access or Retrieval Service Providers
GST registration is essential for compliance with tax regulations, and businesses falling into these categories must ensure they are registered as per the Goods and Services Tax requirements to avoid penalties and legal complications.
What is GSTIN?
GSTIN (Goods and Services Tax Identification Number) is a unique 15-digit identification number issued to businesses registered under GST. It plays a crucial role in identifying and verifying registered taxpayers.
The Goods and Services Tax Identification Number (GSTIN) in India is structured as follows:
- First 2 Numbers: These represent the State code of the registered person.
- Next 10 Characters: This section contains the registered person’s PAN (Permanent Account Number).
- Next Number: This is the entity number of the same PAN, which can vary based on the number of registrations a person or entity has within a state.
- Next Character: This is usually the letter ‘Z’ by default.
- Last Number: The last digit is the check code, an alphabet, or a digit. It’s used for error detection and correction.
GST number Search on the GST Portal
The Goods and Services Tax (GST) has revolutionized the taxation system in India, and the GST Portal plays a vital role in facilitating various GST-related activities. One essential feature of the GST Portal is the “Search Taxpayer” functionality, which allows users to view the profile of any registered taxpayer by entering their GSTIN. This functionality will enable businesses and individuals to check the accuracy and authenticity of GSTINs quoted on various documents.
By using the “Search Taxpayer” option on the GST Portal, users can easily verify the details of registered dealers or suppliers and ensure their compliance with the GST regulations. This feature empowers businesses to make informed decisions when engaging with other taxpayers for transactions. Whether pre-login or post-login, the user-friendly interface simplifies the search process, making it convenient for individuals to access essential information on the GST Portal.
Accessing Taxpayer Details Pre Login:
Before logging in, you can access specific taxpayer details using the GSTIN/UIN. Follow these steps:
Visit the official website of GST Portal and Click on the “Search Taxpayer” menu available on the GST Portal homepage. Enter the GSTIN/UIN of the taxpayer you want to search for. By clicking on the SEARCH button, the following details will be displayed:
- Legal Name of Business
- State Jurisdiction
- Centre Jurisdiction
- Date of Registration
- Constitution of Business
- Taxpayer Type
- GSTIN/UIN Status
- Date of Cancellation
- Field Visit Conducted
- Nature of Business Activity
- Status of Return Filed
Accessing Additional Details Post Login:
If you log in to the GST Portal with valid credentials, you can access additional taxpayer details. These details include:
- Name of the Proprietor/Director(s)/Promoter(s)
- Additional Place of Business
- Contact Details of Principal Place of Business
- You can also view the Return Status for the last 10 transactions.
- Searching for Details of Different Taxpayers:
- You can search for details of different taxpayers, depending on their category, as follows:
- For normal taxpayers: If you want to search for details of a normal taxpayer, you need to provide the GSTIN of the taxpayer.
For UN Bodies, Embassies, Government Offices, or Other Notified Persons: If you want to search for details of these categories of taxpayers, you need to provide the Unique Identification Number (UIN).
The “Search Taxpayer” functionality on the GST Portal empowers businesses and individuals to easily access and verify the details of registered dealers or suppliers using their GSTIN/UIN. Whether you are looking to check your own information or those of other taxpayers, the GST Portal provides a convenient and user-friendly interface to access crucial information.
How to Find GST Number (GSTIN) by Name?
You can easily search for GST numbers by name. Each state maintains a list of GST numbers and the corresponding business or entity names shared with the central government. This list serves to divide taxpaying entities between the central and state governments.
To search for the GST number of any business, enter the initial few letters of the business name, and you’ll receive results.
Tips for Searching GST Numbers by Name:
- Ensure correct spelling when entering the name.
- Input at least ten characters of the name you are searching for.
- If you want to narrow the search to a specific state, include a few characters of the state’s name in your query. Keep in mind that a company may have GST registration in multiple states.
For Example: If you wish to find the GST number of Indian Railway in Karnataka, type “Indian Railway Karnataka” to get precise results. Otherwise, you might receive details for Indian Railways in all states.
Can We Find GST Numbers by Name for All Taxpayers? It’s only possible to find some taxpayers’ GST numbers by name. You can find details by the name of the following taxpayers:
- Entities whose information has been shared by state governments.
- Businesses that have shared their GSTIN on their website.
Expert GST Assistance by IndiaFilings
Contact our team of experts now to validate your GSTIN details or for any GST-related services you require.
We’re committed to offering expert assistance for all your Goods and Services Tax (GST) needs. Whether you’re seeking help with GST registration, GST return filing, GST Number Search, compliance matters, or any other facet of GST, rest assured we are here to provide you with the support and guidance you need.
We’re prepared to assist you at every stage of your GST journey. Get Started!