Delhi Death Certificate
Delhi Death Certificate
In Delhi, it is mandatory to register death under the concerned State Government/Union Territory Administration of Delhi as per the provision of Registrations of Death Act, 1961. Every death of a person has to be registered, and the death certificate will be issued to nearest relatives of the deceased. The Municipal Corporation of Delhi is responsible for the issuance of the death certificate in the state. In this article, we look at the procedure for obtaining the Delhi death certificate in detail.
Purpose of Obtaining Death Certificate
Death certificates are essential for the following below-given purposes.
- A death certificate is documentary proof for the cause of death of a person.
- Death certificate gives information related to the time of death, date of death and place of death of a person.
- A death certificate can be used to relieve the person from social, legal and official commitments.
- To settle the property inheritance, a death certificate is one of the mandatory documents.
- The death certificate is enabling the family member of the deceased to collect insurance and other benefits.
- A death certificate is also used for genealogical information.
Who Can Register Death?
The death of an individual has to be registered within 21 days from the date of death. The following persons will register the death in Delhi:
- If death occurs in the house, the head of the household is eligible to register the death in the concerned Registrar Office.
- If a death happens in the hospital, an authorisable person of the medical institution is responsible for recording /registering the death in the respective Registrar Office.
- If death occurs in jail, the jail in-charge can register the death with the concerned Registrar Office.
- If death occurs in a public place, the local police in-charge or headman of the village can record the death.
While applying for the certificate, submit the following documents:
- Proof of birth of the deceased
- An affidavit specifying the time and date of the death
- The required fee in the form of court fee stamps
- A copy of the ration card.
- Aadhar Card.
- No Objection Certificate (NOC).
Note: The person who is applying for a death certificate requires to provide the proof of relationship with the deceased person, complete address and proof of nationality.
The Government fee to obtain a death certificate in Delhi is provided below:
- When registering death within 21 days of its occurrence are free of cost.
- When registering death within 21 to 30 days after the death, then the Medical Officer, Health (MOH) will certify, collecting a fine of Rs.25 from the applicant.
- After 30 days to within one year of death, only the Joint Director of Statistics can provide the certificate with a fine of Rs.50 and an affidavit.
- If registering death after a year, the applicant can get the certificate by order of a first-class magistrate, for which the applicant will need the Cause of Death Certificate, Cremation Certificate and an Affidavit.
Online Registration Procedure
The Delhi citizens can obtain Birth and Death Certificates from the official web portal of Municipal Corporation of Delhi. The below following are the online procedures to apply for the death certificate in Delhi:
Step 1: The applicant has to log in to the online portal of the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD).
Step 2: Now select your region among North DMC, South DMC, or East DMC.
Step 3: Click on “Registration of Birth & Death” option on the page.
Step 4: Now select the “Registrations by Empanelled Institutions” link from the list of options.
Then the application form of death registration will be as below:
Step 5: Enter all the essential details like Date of Birth/Death, Gender, Mother’ s/Father’s Name etc. and then click on the ‘Submit’ button.
Note: After completing the application, the applicant will be redirected to make an online payment of Rs. 21/- to download MCD Delhi death certificate online. Now, make the payment through net banking, credit card, debit or any other online method.
Offline Application Procedure
To obtain a death certificate in Delhi, follow the procedure given below.
Step 1: To get a death certificate, submit the duly filled application form along with all documents to concerned local authorities by the responsible person.
Note: Also, download the application form of the death certificate from the official web portal. The application form is below for the reference:
Step 2: Registrar, who maintains the Register of Deaths will scan the documents and apply for the death certificate online.
Step 3: Now pay the prescribed fee for a death certificate, the operator will give a receipt for the transaction and application ID.
Step 4: Upon acceptance of the application, the applicant will receive SMS to the registered mobile number.
Step 5: The Death Certificate is then issued after the proper verification by the officer; it would take five days from the date of application.
Check Status of Death Certificate
To know the status of your application, go to the official web portal website of MCD. Select the Application Status link available on the site. Enter the application number and click on the Submit button to view the current status of your application.
Verify Death Certificate Details
Also, search Death Certificate from the records of the MCD Delhi website. Enter the registration number and click on the submit button. Then the details of the death certificate will appear on the screen. Download the death certificate online from MCD Delhi portal.