Assam Marriage Certificate
Assam Marriage Certificate
Marriage has to be compulsorily registered to prove that an individual is legally married to someone. In Assam, marriage can be registered either under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 or Special Marriage Act, 1954. The marriages registration process can be done online or through the Registrar offices in Assam. On registering a marriage, an Assam marriage certificate will be issued. In this article, we look at the procedure for obtaining an Assam marriage certificate.
Purpose of Marriage Certificate
The purpose of registering the marriage are as follows:
- To prevent child marriages.
- For enabling widows to claim an inheritance.
- To help women to exercise their rights of maintenance from husband and custody of children.
- To serve as a deterrent to husbands deserting their wives.
- To claim bank deposits and life insurances, in the event of spouse passing away.
In Assam, to obtain a marriage certificate, the following criteria must be fulfilled
- The bride and groom should not be less than 18 and 21 years of age, respectively.
- The bride and groom must have lived for at least one month in the district where marriage is to be registered.
At the time of submitting the application form, produce the following documents:
- Proof of Marriage
- Proof of date of birth of Bride and Bridegroom
- Residence Proof of Bride and Bridegroom
- Photograph of both parties
- Marriage Invitation Card
- Marriage Photograph (Couple Photograph)
The following charges are applicable under the Special Marriage Act and Hindu Marriage Act:
- The application fee for marriage is Rs.2/-
- The issuance of certificate fee is Rs 6/-
- Assam Right to Public Service (ARTPS) fee is Rs.200/-
After the submission of all essential documents to the concerned officer, the Assam marriage certificate will be issued within 90 days.
The Hindu marriage registration is done by all Sub-Registrars and registrations of special marriages are done by only Registering Officers in the District Head Quarter. Marriage Officer (normally, EAC (Judicial) of the Deputy Commissioner’s office is designated as the Marriage Officer).
Procedure for Registration of Marriage certificate
To obtain Assam marriage certificate, follow the steps specified here:
Step 1: Visit the official e-district portal of the Assam Government.
Step 2: Click on “Online Services” option, which is visible on the home page.
Step 3: Then select “Downloading e-forms with Supporting documents” from the dropdown to download the marriage registration application form. The application form for marriage registration is below for the reference:
Step 4: Now take print of the application form and enter the necessary details in the application and attach all the prescribed documents.
Step 5: One needs to submit the duly filled application form to the concerned authority of the Registrar office.
Note: After submitting the application form, the applicant will receive an application number as an acknowledgement to check the application status.
Track Application Status
To track the status of the application, visit the official website of Assam Government. Now enter the application number to view the status of the application. Once approved, then the certificate will be issued within the prescribed time from the date of application. The certificate can be downloaded online as well.
Marriage Registration Verification
Select the certificate verification option from the home page of the Assam government. The page will redirect to a new page, enter the application number and click on the “Submit” button to verify the details of your marriage certificate.
Download Marriage Certificate
The applicant can download the marriage certificate through log in to the official website of your State Government. Then click on the Download Certificate option under the online service menu on the home page. Enter your acknowledgement number and click on the “Get Certificate” button.