Procedure and Criteria for Export of PPE Medical Coveralls for COVID-19
Procedure and Criteria for Export of PPE Medical Coveralls for COVID-19
The Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) has specified the procedure and criteria for export of PPE Medical coveralls for COVID-19 vide Trade Notice No. 17/2020-21. The DGFT had earlier banned the export of PPE medical coverall and now, with this notification, the DGFT has amended the Export Policy of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and PPE Medical Coveralls for COVID-19 is categorized as Restricted Export Item (Non-SCOMET). Hence the exporter needs to obtain an export authorization from the Government for shipments of PPE Medical Coveralls for COVID-19. The exporter can apply for export authorization/license online through the official website of DGFT under Non-SCOMET Restricted items sections.
The Gist of Trade Notification
The Trade Notice on 29th June 2020 has outlined the detailed Procedure and Criteria for submission and approval of applications for export of PPE for COVID-19.
- The DGFT has announced that the PPE Medical Coveralls for COVID-19 is put it in the restricted category, making it mandatory for exporters to get a license from DGFT for export of the product.
- As per the trade notice, the DGFT also confirmed that the export of only 50 lakh units of PPE medical coveralls for COVID -19 will be allowed every month.
- The exporter can apply for export authorization as Non-SCOMET Restricted items and exports are not required to forward any hard copy of the application via email or post to DGFT.
Note on Restricted Export Item (Non-SCOMET)
All goods, export of which is permitted only with an Authorization/License following the procedure prescribed in India’s the Foreign Trade Policies are known as Restricted Export Item (Non- Special Chemicals, Organisms, Materials, Equipment and Technology (SCOMET)). For import of restricted items, a license/authorization will have to be obtained from the DGFT.
Export of PPE Medical Coveralls
DGFT with a Notification on 31st January 2020 had prohibited the Export of PPE including Clothing and Masks and Further with Notifications on 19th March, 16th May and 22nd June 2020 export on the following were prohibited under the Export Policy 2018:
- Surgical Masks/Disposable Masks
- All Masks except non-surgical/non-medical masks of all types (cotton, silk, wool, knitted)
- PPE exported either as part of kits or as individual items :
- Medical Coverall of all categories
- Medical Goggles
- All Masks except non-surgical/non-medical masks of all types(cotton, silk, wool, polyester, nylon, rayon, viscose-knitted, woven or blended)
- Nitrile/NBR Gloves
- Face Shield
Restricted Export of PPE Medical Coveralls
Considering the demand for PPE during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Government revised the export policy and allowed the exports of the following products with a license.
|ITC HS Code|
All Masks except non-surgical/non-medical masks of all types (cotton, silk, wool, knitted
Note: All other items are remaining prohibited for export and monthly quota will not apply to the export of such items.
Monthly Export Quota for PPE Medical Coveralls Export
As mentioned above, a monthly export quota of 50 Lakh PPE Medical Coveralls for COVID-19 units has been fixed and the application filed from 1st to 3rd day of each month will be considered for the quota of that month.
All application for the export of PPE Medical Coveralls will be examined as per the Handbook Procedure and all approval of the application will be done by 10th of every month.
Note: Only one application per Import Export Code will be considered during a Month
The validity of Export Authorization/License
The validity of Export Authorization/License for the export of PPE Medical Coveralls for COVID-19 is 3 months from the date of issue.
Eligibility Criteria to Obtain Export License
The firm applies for the export license should be the manufacture of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Coveralls.
Documents Required for Export License
The exporter needs to furnish the following documents to obtain export authorization for the shipment of PPE medical coveralls.
- Certificate of Registration as Manufacture of PPE from the concerned Department
- Copy of Testing or Accreditation of PPEz medical coveralls issued to the firm from the laboratories recognized by the Ministry of Textiles for the purpose.
- Copy of importing country’s PPE medical coveralls Standard Certificate or Copy of Bureau of Indian Standard (BIS) Certificate, if the importing country does not insist on a Standard Certificate
- Chartered Engineer’s Certificate certifying that the fabrics used in the PPE medical coverall were manufactured in India
- Copy of the Import Export Code of the Firm
- Copy of Purchase order or Invoice
Note: All documents must be duly self – attested by the authorized person of the firm.
Procedure to Obtain Export Authorization of Non-SCOMET Restricted items
Procedure to get the license for Export of PPE Medical Coveralls for COVID-19 is given below:
The exporter needs to access the official website of Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) to apply. From the home page click on the service option and then select the online ECOM Application.
The link will redirect to the ECOM application page, click on the Restricted Export Item (Non-SCOMET) to apply for the license.
After successful login using the ECOM application module through Digital Certificate on DGFT website, 20 digits ECOM Reference number will be displayed.
By clicking on the OK button, exporters’ profile and status of an application filed in the last year will be displayed.
From the File menu, select the Create option a message box will appear, after confirming the details click on ok button. The exporter can now provide details shipment in the license application:
- Telephone Number
- Fax details
- Port of Loading/shipment
- Port of Discharge
- The ultimate Destination country and the Purpose of export
- Enter the From Date and To-date under the heading “Period during which item is to be exported”
- Select the Jurisdictional Regional Authority from the list box
Details of Products to be Exported
After providing the details, click on the Save button to save your details. Select the items of an export button to proceed further. The exporter needs to provide the following details about the products to be exported.
- ITC(HS) code
- Name and Description of Item
- Item Quantity
- Unit of Measurement (UOM)
- FOB in Rupees, FOB in USD and FOB in relevant Foreign Currency
Details of foreign Buyer or Consignee
After clicking on the OK button, the exporter needs to fill the details of foreign Buyer or consignee. In the next screen, the exporter will have to enter the details of exports of SCOMET Items in the preceding 3 licensing years.
After filling all the details exporter need to click on the declaration button on the main screen and furnish the details of Name, Official Address, Telephone and country details.
By clicking on the upload document button, a dialogue box will appear, the exporter can upload all required documents using the browse button.
Once the documents are uploaded successfully, the exporter can apply to DGFT to issue an export license for the shipment of PPE for COVID-19.
Once the DGFT accepted the request, the export license for the shipment of PPE Medical Coveralls will be issued.