Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana
Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana
Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY) is a Maternity Benefit Programme that was launched on the 31st of December, 2016 for the benefit of pregnant and lactating mothers. It is implemented across the country in accordance with the provisions of the National Food Security Act, 2013. This article covers the nationwide scheme in terms of its scope and benefits.
Also Read About – Amma Maternity Nutrition Kit Scheme
The scheme has been launched with the object of:
- Partially compensating women for the wage loss in terms of cash incentive so as to enable them to take adequate rest before and after delivery of the first child.
- Improve the health-seeking behaviour amongst Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers.
Who will Benefit?
The scheme will benefit:
- All pregnant women and lactating mothers who are directly and fully employed with the Central/State Governments/PSUs or those who are the recipients of similar benefits under any of the prevalent laws.
- All eligible Pregnant and Lactating Mothers who have their pregnancy on or after the 1st of January 2017 for the first child in the family.
Scope of Benefits
The scheme provides cash incentives of INR 5000 in three instalments, out of which the first instalment of INR 1000 is provided on early registration of pregnancy at the Anganwadi Centre (AWC)/ approved health facility as may be identified by the respective State/Union Territory. This registration must be completed within 15 days of LMP (Last Menstrual Period). The second instalment of INR 2000 is provided after six months of pregnancy on receiving at least one Ante-Natal Checkup (ANC). The third and final instalment of INR 2000 is provided after the childbirth is registered, and the child has received the first cycle of OPV, BCG, DPT and Hepatitis-B, or its equivalent/substitute. The eligible beneficiaries must mandatorily hold an Aadhar Card (Not applicable for the States of Jammu and Kashmir, Assam, and Meghalaya).
In addition to this, the eligible beneficiaries will receive the incentive provided under the Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY) for institutional delivery, the incentive received under which would be accounted towards maternity benefits. As a result, every woman gets INR 6000 on an average.
In the event of any miscarriage or stillbirth, the beneficiary may claim the remaining instalments for future pregnancies, subject to the satisfaction of eligibility criteria and other conditionalities.
- As already observed, eligible women who wish to avail maternity benefits under this scheme may file their registrations at the Anganwadi Centre (AWC)/approved Health Facility based on the implementing department for the particular State/Union Territory.
- The prescribed application (to be obtained from the respective registration centre) must be furnished in Form 1A, supported with the relevant documents and an undertaking/consent duly signed by the beneficiary and her spouse. During the submission of the form, the beneficiary must submit the Aadhar details of herself and her spouse with their written consents, her/husband/family member’s contact number and her bank/post office account details.
- The beneficiary must fill up the prescribed scheme forms for registration and claim of instalments and submit the same at the Anganwadi Centre/approved local health facilities. The acknowledgement from Anganwadi Workers/ASHA/ASNM may be obtained for record and future references.
- Beneficiaries who have complied with the conditionalities stipulated under the scheme but could not register/submit claims within the specified time period may do so within 730 days of pregnancy.
Submission of Documents for Claim
For claiming the first instalment, the beneficiary must submit the following documents:
- Form 1, supported with a copy of MCP Card (Mother and Child Protection Card).
- Proof of Identity of the beneficiary and her spouse (Aadhar Card or permitted Alternate ID Proof of both and Bank/Post Office Account Details of the beneficiary).
For claiming the second instalment, the beneficiary must submit:
- Form 1B after six months of pregnancy, supported with the copy of MCP Card showing at least one ANC.
For claiming the third instalment, the beneficiary must submit:
- Form 1C, supported with a copy of childbirth registration and copy of MCP card indicating that the child has received the first cycle of immunization or its equivalent/substitute.