Form 16A Format – Income Tax
Tax deductions from income sources other than salary are provided in Form 16A. Thus, Form 16A gives an idea about the nature of payment, the source of the income and the taxes deducted for that particular year.
Requirement of Form 16A
Form 16A must be present to the ITD when an individual files their income tax return to show and validate that they have paid taxes on other sources of income except for salary. Banks and financial institutes accept this form as a legal document for verification. Hence, it is deemed mandatory to present it when one applies for any loan.
Form 16 vs Form 16A
Form 16 applies to salaried employees and is also a TDS certificate. As stated in the Income Tax Act, if an individual’s salary is more than INR 2.5 Lakhs in a financial year, then the person is liable to pay tax to the Income Tax Department (ITD).
Form 16A Format
Form 16A comprises of the following essential elements.
- Deductor’s Information: This would comprise of necessary information concerning the individual who should make the payment. The information would include elements such as Name and Address of the Deductor and the amount that is deducted as a percentage of income earned as TDS.
- Deductee’s Information: This section would comprise the name and address of the individual who is earning through the payment made by the Deductor.
- Deductor’s Unique Identification: This section would contain the PAN and TAN of the Deductor and must be filled in precisely.
- Deductee’s Unique Identification: This section would contain the PAN of the Deductee and must be filled in precisely to verify the tax paid on their behalf.
- Total amount due to the Deductee: This section would comprise the total amount of payments made to the Deductee.
- Deducted Amount: This would indicate the amount that must be paid to the ITD and is calculated based on the Deductee’s income. This would also mention a summary of the same.
- Amount paid to the ITD: This section would comprise of the details of the payment made to the Government concerning the Deductee.
Obtaining Form 16A online
Typically, this document is issued by a Deductor, the person who makes the payment and collects the taxes on behalf of the Deductee. This is issued for a particular Financial Year representing the details concerning the amount produced and taxes collected from the same.
The following are the steps to download Form 16A from the TRACES website.
Step 1: The Deductor has to visit the Traces webpage.
Step 2: Log in using valid credentials.
Step 3: Select the Downloads tab and select the Form 16A option.
Step 4: Enter the details required in the fields displayed such as Financial Year, Quarter, Form Type, PAN and click on the Add tab. An individual may either select for a bulk PAN download option or a single form download option according to their need.
Step 5: In this page, details in Form 16A would be displayed where one could review and update the details if necessary. Click on the Submit tab.
Step 6: Next, the validation of the Deductor’s page would be displayed and would ask for KYC through Digital Signature. The user could also do normal KYC.
Step 7: After that, enter the required details such as the Authentication Code. If the user does not have a code, they may choose to fill in the details below the Authentication Code section.
Step 8: After the KYC process is done, all the actions that may be done by a Deductor on Traces is displayed. Choose the Download Form 16A option and click on the Proceed with Transaction tab to continue.
Step 9: Next, a Download Request Confirmation page would pop up and would contain a Request Number for the request for downloading Form 16A.
Step 10: The request file may be searched using the Request Date or Request Number. One may view all the requests as well. If the Status shows as Submitted, the person would be required to wait for 24 – 48 hours.
Step 11: Select the required row and click on the HTTP Download tab.
Step 12: If the user does not have a Traces PDF Utility, they would be unable to see the file in a PDF Format.
Step 13: Choose the requested downloads, and the user will be able to view the link to the download utility as Click here to Download the Utility.
Step 14: Download the PDF Utility for the PDF converter under the file name TRACES-PDF-CONVERTOR V 1.4 L. The user has to ensure that they have Java 8 update 45, JRE version 1.7 or above.
Step 15: Run the downloaded zip file with Java.
Step 16: Browse the PDF file for Form 16A and enter the User’s TAN as the Password.
Step 17: Choose the folder on the system where the files have to be saved and click on the Proceed option.
Form 26AS would also work as a substitute for Form 16. It could be downloaded online by the Deductee which would display all the sources of their income with TDS against a specific year.
[maxbutton id=”17″ url=”https://img.indiafilings.com/learn/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/12010148/Form-16A.pdf” text=”Download Form 16A Format” ]
Post by IndiaFilings
IndiaFilings.com is committed to helping entrepreneurs and small business owners start, manage and grow their business with peace of mind at an affordable price. Our aim is to educate the entrepreneur on the legal and regulatory requirements and be a partner throughout the entire business life cycle, offering support to the company at every stage to make sure they are compliant and continually growing.