DGFT Online Module for of Pre-shipment Inspection Certificates (PSICs)
DGFT Online Module for Pre-shipment Inspection Certificates (PSICs)
The Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) vide its notification dated 26th April 2022, has proposed a new online module for applying for recognition as a Pre-Shipment Inspection Agency (PSIA), electronic issuance of Pre-shipment Inspection Certificates (PSICs), and electronic verification of the authenticity of the PSICs with effect from 01.05.2022. The present article briefs the DGFT Online Module for Pre-Shipment Inspection Agency.
Pre-shipment Inspection Certificate (PSIC)
The Pre-shipment Inspection Certificate (PSIC) is one of the mandatory documents for the import of metallic waste and scraps. This certificate is issued to ensure that the metal scrap is free from any radioactive material and radiation explosive material.
The PSIC document accompanies shipments from the factory to certify that the products conform to specifications stated on the sales contract or letter of credit (LC).
The PSI certificate is usually included in the package of reports for the shipment such as the bill of lading (BL), certificate of origin (CO), and packing list. The importer can also use the PSIC to initiate the transfer of payment from an intermediary bank.
Important Announcement for Importers
- The online process shall not be mandatory in the initial period of go-live and the PSIAs, as well as the importers, are provided time till 30.06.2022 to onboard and familiarize themselves with the said online process.
- All PSICs shall be mandatorily generated online through the DGFT Website with effect from 01.07.2022.
- PSICs dated on or after 01.07.2022 not generated using the DGFT online systems may not be accepted by the Indian Customs Authorities.
Objective DGFT Online Module for Pre-shipment Inspection Certificates (PSICs)
The objective of the new online module for the Pre-Shipment Inspection Agency is to recognize the agencies to conduct a Pre-Shipment inspection for import of shredded, un-shredded, compressed, and loose, ms of metallic waste and scrap. Agency has to submit a bank guarantee or an equivalent financial instrument to DGFT before they are notified as PSIA. The recognized PSIA inspects in different countries as recognized by DGFT.
User Registration Process for Agency
DGFT announced that all existing PSIAs as recognized under Appendix 2G of the FTP are required to register online on the DGFT Website.
Agencies are on-boarded on the DGFT website and may register by the below-mentioned procedure:
- After accessing the DGFT website, Click on the login button in the top right corner of the DGFT
- Click on the Register button and then select Register User as Pre-Shipment Agency from the dropdown option.
- In the new window, Enter First Name, Email ID, Country, State, City, Zip Code, Mobile Number, and captcha as mandatory fields (ZIP code is a postal code chosen to suggest that the mail travels more efficiently and quickly when senders use the code in the postal address)
- Click on the checkbox for agreeing to the terms and conditions and then click on Send OTP button
- OTP will be sent to Both mobile and email when the country is selected as India whereas OTP will be sent by Email to other countries
- Enter the OTPs sent on your Email and mobile (in the case of India) and click on the Register button
- Temporary passwords will be sent to the Email and mobile (in the case of India). The PSIC can change the temporary password after login.
Further, any application for amendment in instruments and/or areas of operation of existing PSIA may also be made online post-login as PSIA by navigating to the DGFT website → Services → Pre-Shipment Inspection → Amendment in Area of Operation/Instruments.
Generate Pre-Shipment Inspection Certificates (PSIC)
On successful activation of an account, the PSIA may generate and upload Pre-Shipment Inspection Certificates (PSIC) online through the following procedure:
Access the official website of DGFT website and click on the Services option. Inspection Agency Recognition
Click on the Approved PSIA status tile provided under “Services under Inspection Agency Recognition
- Agency may click on Generate and upload PSICs of inspection carried out tile provided under “Services under Inspection Agency Recognition”
- Agency may enter the details in the respective tabs and proceed to the declaration tab
- After submitting the details, the agency may click on Generate and download the PSIC button
- Agency may put the seal of PSIA at the bottom and upload the PDF as an attachment
The Pre-Shipment Inspection Certificates (PSIC) shall be generated by the PSIA after the required inspection has been carried out. Required Video and photographic evidence are to be uploaded by the PSIA during this online PSIC process.
Procedure to Download Pre-Shipment Inspection Certificates
The Pre-Shipment Inspection Certificates (PSIC) generated online can be downloaded by the Indian Importer by navigating to the DGFT website and clicking on the Services and then selecting the Pre-Shipment Inspection.
By clicking on the Download option, the importer can download the Pre-shipment Inspection Certificate (PSIC). The Importer would be required to enter the PSIC certificate number and the name of PSIA to download any such PSIC.