Atal New India Challenges
Atal New India Challenges
Atal New India Challenges (ANIC) was launched by Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) to bring innovative products/solutions based on cutting-edge technologies in areas of social and national importance. Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) is established under NITI Aayog by Government of India for promoting entrepreneurship and innovation in the country. AIM develops new programmes and policies for encouraging innovation in different sectors of the economy, providing a platform and collaboration opportunities for various stakeholders, create awareness and create an umbrella structure to administer the innovation ecosystem of the country. AIM launched the Atal New India Challenges as a platform to satiate its purpose.
Productisation – To help create products from existing technologies relevant for national and social causes.
Commercialisation – To help new deep-technology products find markets and early customers in the context of India.
Structure of Atal New India Challenges (ANIC)
ANIC is an open invite to design and demonstrate market-ready products based on cutting-edge technologies in identified 24 focus areas. Applicants who seem promising to productize technologies will be awarded grants of up to one crore. The AIM and ANIC committees decide the exact amount of grant based on the application and business plan. The successful applicants will be supported in mentoring, marketing strategies, technical support and expert guidance.
Researchers consider ‘Valleys of Death’ at the early stage and commercialisation stage as a barrier in taking innovations to the market.
The Objective of Atal New India Challenge is addressing the second Commercialization Valley of Death, where innovators could not access resources for piloting, testing, and market creation.
Who Can Apply?
- R & D organisations.
- Academic Institutions, Academicians, Innovators.
- Any Indian company which is incorporated under the Companies Act.
- Individuals who are looking to apply for their technologies/products should partner with entities able to manufacture, market and scale up their products.
Note: A Self-certification (stating that the applicant has not received any grant in the past) is required from any ministry/ department of central/ state government, for a similar purpose.
Critical Parameters in Selection of Application
- The proposed product should possess the potential to meet the needs of the nation in the focus areas.
- It should possess the capability to deploy an existing technology/ prototype/ patent (to be specified in the application).
- It should be reachable to markets in short/medium term.
- Having the ability to establish and run a sustainable enterprise that can scale up and deploy the solution far and wide.
Evaluation Criteria for Applications
- Identification of the market for the product and scale of the market is estimated.
- Clear statements about strong business model/ outcomes & plans to infuse technologies.
- Identification of suitable market partners/ channels.
The shortlisted candidates have to present their technologies and business plans to an Expert committee on finances and sectors. The committee will select the applicants based on the prospect of the product to reach and sustain in the market.
The parameters used to evaluate the progress of the selected applicants through the stages from prototype to commercialisation is known as Milestones. The committee will assign with milestones for selected applicants depending on the sector and nature of the proposal.
Method of Awarding Grants
The grants (up to one crore) will be awarded in a maximum of three (3) tranches within 12 – 18 months, in the following way
Tranche 1: Up to 30% of the grant amount recommended by the committee.
Tranche 2: Up to 50% of the grant amount, while achieving milestones as recommended by the committee.
Tranche 3: The remaining amount of the recommended grant, based on achievement of milestones as approved by the committee.
For bringing the product into the market, applicants are motivated to spend on the below heads.