Trade Related Entrepreneurship Development Assistance Scheme (TREAD)

Home » Learn » Government Initiatives » Trade Related Entrepreneurship Development Assistance Scheme (TREAD)

Trade Related Entrepreneurship Development Assistance Scheme (TREAD)

The Government of India has initiated a scheme called “Trade Related Entrepreneurship Development Assistance Scheme (TREAD)” to promote women entrepreneurs. Under this scheme, the Government grants financial assistance of loan amount up to 30% of the total project value as appraised by lending banks which would finance the remaining 70% as loan assistance to applicant women. In this article, we look at the TREAD Scheme in detail.

Objective of the Scheme

The primary objective of the scheme is to create sustainable employment for poor women by developing their entrepreneurial capabilities and technical skill through the package of support services. This scheme also strengthens the capacities of NGOs and trade-related services institutions of such women through training, product and market development and transfer of skills and technology. Apart from the training and counselling, it provides the delivery of credit poses the problem for the poor women.

Eligibility Criteria

To apply for the TREAD Scheme, there are no specific criteria prescribed. However, the application form to be furnished with the experience details indicating performance in handling women’s economic development projects.

Documents Required

The applicants must furnish the following documents along with the Application Form to apply for the TREAD Scheme.

  • Identity Proof: PAN Card, Aadhar Card, Driving License, Voter ID Card, etc.
  • Address Proof: Aadhar Card, Valid Passport, Utility bill, Property tax bill, etc.
  • Audited Accounts records of past 3 years
  • Sources of funding details
  • If the applicants have any work experience, then documents proving the same are necessary.

Benefits of the Scheme


Under this scheme, the government offers a 30% subsidy for the woman on the total cost of the project. The subsidy is approved only if the loan request is directed through an NGO. The project cost is assessed by the institutions that provide the remaining 70% of the loan assistance. GOI Grant and the loan amount from the leading institutions to assist poor women shall be routed through eligible NGOs engaged in assisting such women through any kind of income generating activities in the non-farm sector.

Assistance for Training & Counseling

The below-listed training organisations conduct the training programmes for the empowerment of women that would be provided with a grant provided such institutions bring their share to the extent of a minimum of 25%.

The women beneficiaries those who are identified under this scheme would be provided with a grant up to the maximum amount of Rs. 1 Lakh per programme. The duration of the training programme will be minimum one month with the batch containing the least of 20 participants.

Eliciting Information on Related Needs

The below listed are the institutions that are sponsored by the state government.

  • Entrepreneurship Development Institutes (EDIs)
  • IIE
  • MSME-DIs

It provides the need-based government grant for undertaking empowerment of women such as research studies, field surveys, evaluation studies and designing of training modules and much more that are covered under the scheme. The government shall provide the grant up to the maximum of Rs. 5 Lakhs per project.

Application Procedure

The applicants can visit the nearest (MSME) – Development Institute to apply for the TREAD Scheme. Then the applicant has to get the application form from the relevant office and have to fill out the application form in a prescribed format. After completing, attach the specified records along with the application form. The concerned official will process the request further.

Other Related Guides

MSME Loan under Priority Sector MSME Loan under Priority Sector MSME or SSI units contribute 8% of India's GDP, 45% of manufactured output and 40% of total exports of India. Further...
MSME SAMPARK MSME SAMPARK MSME SAMPARK is a digital platform that enables jobseekers (passed out trainees/students of 18 MSME Technology Centres) to gain employme...
Scheme for Incentive to Industries Scheme for Incentive to Industries The Scheme for Incentives to Industries is a Gujarat Government initiative that seeks to grant incentives to indus...
Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY) is a Maternity Benefit Programme that was launched on the 31st of Dec...
Mahila Police Volunteers (MPVs) Scheme Mahila Police Volunteers (MPVs) Scheme The Mahila Police Volunteers Scheme was launched by the Ministry of Women and Child Development in collaborati...

Post by Sinduja Shankar

IndiaFilings is India's largest online compliance services platform dedicated to helping people start and grow their business, at an affordable cost. We were started in 2014 with the mission of making it easier for Entrepreneurs to start their business. We have since helped start and operate tens of thousands of businesses by offering a range of business services. Our aim is to help the entrepreneur on the legal and regulatory requirements, and be a partner throughout the business lifecycle, offering support at every stage to ensure the business remains compliant and continually growing.