OLTAS Payment Challan Inquiry
OLTAS Payment Challan Inquiry
Online Tax Accounting System, shortly known as OLTAS, was initiated by the Income Tax Department in order to receive and maintain the tax records which are paid through banks through online upload of the challan. Introduction of OLTAS made collection, reporting and accounting of all the kinds of direct taxes easier. OLTAS was introduced with the collective efforts of the following bodies:
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes,
- The Reserve Bank of India,
- The Controller of accounts, and
- The Indian Banks Association.
OLTAS facilitated the payment of taxes by the taxpayer through a single simplified copy of challan. As per OLTAS, the taxpayer has to use a single and common challan for the following:
|1||Challan No. ITNS 280||For payment of regular income tax and corporate taxes|
|2||Challan No. ITNS 281||For the deposit of Tax Collection at Source (TCS) and Tax Deduction at Source (TDS)|
|3||Challan No. ITNS 282||For payment of direct taxes like wealth tax, gift tax, estate duty, hotel receipts tax, securities transaction tax (STT) and expenditure tax|
|4||Challan No. ITNS 283||For payment of Banking Cash Transaction Tax and Fringe Benefits Tax|
|5||Challan No. ITNS 285||For payment of equalization levy|
|6||Challan No. ITNS 286||For payment under Income Declaration Scheme, 2016|
|7||Challan No. ITNS 287||For payment under Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana, 2016|
Payment and generation of CIN
OLTAS challan when submitted to a bank branch for payment, the bank will tear-off the appropriate portion of challan and will give it back to the taxpayer after putting rubber stamp containing a unique Challan Identification Number (i.e. CIN). CIN is a unique number comprising of following:
- 7 digit BSR code.
- Date of presentation of challan in DDMMYY format.
- 5 digit serial number of the challan.
Time of issuance of tear off a portion to the taxpayer:
- In case of cash payment – tear-off portion would be allotted immediately.
- In case of payment through draft or cheque – tear-off portion would be allotted to the taxpayer after realization of draft or cheque.
- In case of online payment – tear-off portion would be generated immediately after payment processing.
The CIN generation represents the proof of payment of tax and the same has to be entered at the time of filing of the income tax return.
OLTAS Challan Status Inquiry
It is important for the taxpayer to verify that the payment of the challan has been accounted for properly in their name. TIN (i.e. Tax Information Network) provides the facility to inquire about the status of the challan. Challan inquiry facilitates following:
- The taxpayer to ensure that the challan has been accounted for properly; and
- The bank to inquire about the status of the challan uploaded by them.
OLTAS Challan Status Inquiry for Taxpayer
Two kinds of search are provided for challan status inquiry for taxpayer and steps for the same are narrated hereunder:
- Navigate link https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/oltas/index.html.
- For Taxpayer – CIN Based View and TAN Based View option are available.
- If ‘CIN Based View’ is selected, the taxpayer needs to enter the following details:
- BSR Code
- Challan tender date
- Challan serial no.
- If ‘TAN Based View’ is selected, the taxpayer needs to enter the following details:
- Tax Deduction / Collection Account Number (TAN).
- Challan Tender Date / Date of Deposit (Period).
OLTAS Challan Status Inquiry for Bank
Two options ‘Collecting Bank Branch’ and ‘Nodal Bank Branch’ is available to the bank for obtaining/inquiring challan status.