Odisha Birth Certificate
Odisha Birth Certificate
Birth registration is official and permanent evidence of a person existence. A birth certificate is the legal identity document that records the birth details of a person and also serves as a proof of identity for citizens residing in a particular state. In Odisha, it is mandatory to register every birth of a child as per the Registration of Births and Deaths Act, 1969, with the concerned State Government/Union Territories. The Chief Registrar of birth is responsible for issuing the birth certificate under the State Government of Odisha. In this article, we look at the procedure for obtaining an Odisha birth certificate in detail.
Registration of Birth & Death Act, 1969
Registration of Births & Deaths Act, 1969 governs a structured system/procedure for registering the birth and death in India. According to this registration act,
- All births have to be registered with the concerned state governments within 21 days of its occurrence at the place of the event in the prescribed form of reporting.
- If the birth registration is not done within 21 days from its occurrence, then an affidavit must be filed stating the reason for the delay in registration.
- In a circumstance where a child is born in a foreign country, and the family has moved to India with an intent to settle, the registration can be done within 60 days which will be treated the same as the registration occurring within 21 days.
Purpose of Birth Certificate
A birth certificate is used as evidence to state a person’s birth in a particular place. There is a necessity for a birth certificate to every citizen to avail benefits from various services offered by the Government. Purposes of obtaining a birth certificate are listed below in detail.
- A birth certificate is one of the necessary proof for applying for PAN card.
- To get admission in an educational institution, the birth certificate needs to be furnished.
- It is also used for claiming the right to marry at the legally permitted age.
- A birth certificate is important for settlement of inheritance and property rights.
- For availing an insurance policy.
- The birth certificate needs to be submitted to some places to get a marriage certificate and prove age.
- For obtaining a driving licence and passport in India.
- To receive pension and health insurance provided by the Government.
Registration of Birth
If the birth occurs at the below-given places, then the following person is responsible for the registration of births:
- Births in a Hospital or Nursing Home: Any person authorised by the medical institution is eligible to register the birth.
- Birth in a house: The head of the household is eligible to register the birth with the concerned authority.
- Birth in a public place: The head of the corresponding village or the officer in charge of the local police station in the area is eligible to register the birth.
Any applicant who is the citizen or NRI born in the state is eligible for availing the birth certificate in the state. A birth certificate is issued to the parents in favour of a child by registration of birth at the concerned authority.
At the time of submitting the application form, submit the following documents:
- Poof of birth that identifies the location of birth.
- Marriage certificate of the parent, optional.
- Goanburah certificate (Residence Proof).
- Parents’ identity proof.
- Any other document (if required).
The below following charges are applicable for registering a birth in the state:
|Registered within 21 days of birth||Rs.2/-|
|Registered after 21 days of birth||Rs.5/-|
|Registered after 30 days and within 1 year of birth||Rs.5/-|
|Registered after 1 year of birth||Rs.10/-|
The individual can avail the birth certificate within a specified time as fixed by the authority.
The below following concerned authorities are responsible for Registration of Birth/Issuance of Certificate/Registration of Complain:
- In Urban areas: Municipal Corporations / Municipalities / NACs / Other concerned local authorities in the state.
- In Rural areas: UGPHC (Upgraded Primary Health Centre)/CHC (Community Health Centre)/PHC (Primary Health Centre) in the state.
Offline Application Procedure
The application form for the birth registration in prescribed format along with all the supporting documents needs to be furnished at the concerned Registrar office.
Note: The applicant can also visit the official e-Municipality portal to download the birth registration e-form in the PDF format. The application form for the birth registration is below for the ready reference.Odisha Birth Certificate Application Form
On completion of the application form successfully, submits it to the concerned authority along with the prescribed fee for the registration. After the verification by the authority, the details of birth will be updated correspondingly to Odisha state birth records. An acknowledgement slip will be given to verify the status of the application.
Online Application Procedure
To apply for Odisha birth certificate through the e-Municipality portal, follow the step by step guidelines given below:
Step 1: The applicant has to visit the official e-Municipality website of Odisha to register the birth.
Step 2: Click on the “Login” button and enter the username and password on the main home page.
Step 3: Choose “District” and “ULB” from the drop-down list on the home page.
Step 4: Then, the applicant will be navigated to the page with the Citizen Services option on the home page under to select the “Birth and Death” option.
Note: To apply for the birth certificate here, the applicant should have either information of Registration Number or Institutional Request Number or any other details.
Step 5: Search with the registration number or any other details and click on the “Search” button.
Step 6: Now, click on the “Apply for Birth Certificate” option.
Step 7: Once finding all other details are correct, provide the mobile number and e-mail address to get the message for the process of the application.
Step 8: Choose the mode of delivery either as “ULB Counter” or “Online” in which the applicant wants to collect.
Step 9: Upload all the supporting documents into the application form and then click on the “Submit” button.
Step 10: On submission of application, an acknowledgement number will be displayed. The applicant can take the print of the acknowledgement to verify the status of the application.
Track Application Status
The applicant needs to open the e-Municipality web portal and click on the “Check Application Status” option on the home page.
The applicant has to choose the service and then enter the application number or registration number and click on the “search” button. The application details will appear along with the application status on the screen.