National Youth Corps (NYC)
National Youth Corps (NYC)
The Government of India has launched the voluntary National Youth Corps (NYC) scheme to organise rural youth and to involve them in various developmental activities. This scheme is implemented under the Department of Youth Affairs through the Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS). Under this scheme, the volunteers involved in the nation-building activities will receive a suitable honorarium. Let us look in detail about the National Youth Corps in this article.
To know about Jan Shikshan Sansthan (JSS)
National Youth Corps Scheme has the following objectives which are listed below:
- To create a group of dedicated and disciplined youths those who have the spirit to engage in the task of nation-building.
- To facilitate the realisation of goals in social and economic development.
- To act as points for the dissemination of information, basic knowledge in the community.
- To act as peer group educators and group modulators
- To act as an inspiration for the youths cohort especially towards enhancement of public ethics, probity and dignity of labour.
The following are the eligibility criteria for the enrolment as National Youth Crops volunteer.
- Qualification Required A minimum qualification of class 10th pass are eligible to enrol as NYC volunteers for any state. The priority in this section will be given to the following:
- The applicants those who are having higher educational qualification and also the knowledge of computer application can apply under this scheme.
- The member of NYKS affiliated Youth Clubs in general and members of Mentor Youth Clubs in particular.
- Age Limit: The minimum age limit can be of 18 years, and the maximum limit is 25 years for the registration under the NYC.
- The students those who have registered themselves for the regular academic courses will not be eligible to register under the scheme, keeping in view the nature of their full-time assignment.
- The participation of volunteers from the weaker sections of the society such as SC or ST community will be encouraged, and the gender equivalence amongst volunteers, both for the registration process and deployment, maintained to the extent possible.
Get in touch with IndiaFilings for Partnership Firm Registration
The below following are the list of documents to be furnished along with the National Youth Crops application form.
- Copy of the Birth Certificate
- Copy of SC/ST/OBC Certificate
- Identity Proof: PAN Card, Aadhaar Card, Driving License, Voter ID Card, etc.
- Address Proof: Aadhar Card, Valid Passport, Utility bill, Property tax bill, etc.
- Certificate of BPL (Below Poverty Line family).
- Bank passbook statements and details
- Any other documents (if required)
The volunteers under the NYC scheme will be paid an honorarium of Rs. 2500/- per month inclusive of Travelling Allowance for their period of engagement, which is up to a maximum of 2 years (including the training period of 4 weeks) for identified development activities. There is no other allowances would be admissible under this scheme. This is neither a paid profession nor consults any legal right on the volunteer to claim profession with the Government.
All the requisite funds would be released directly to the State Government in respect of the volunteers deployed in the State of Jammu and Kashmir. The State Government will, in turn, set up an appropriate mechanism for the timely payment of honorarium to the volunteers facilitated by the respective banking agencies. The funds will be released to Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS) for the rest of the volunteers, who are deployed in the rest of the country. The e-banking mode would do the payment process of honorarium to the volunteers.
Implementation of the Scheme
The Department of Youth Affairs, GoI is responsible for the overall implementation of the National Youth Corps scheme. As regards the State of Jammu and Kashmir, it is the State Government’s responsibility to register volunteers as well as deploy them and to assign them suitable tasks, as per local needs and requirements.
Duration of Deployment
The volunteers are registered for a maximum period of two years, plus the duration period that they undergo Skill Development Training. The volunteers can be disengaged by a notice of 1 month from either side.
Entitlement of Leave
Volunteers will be granted 12 days of casual leave each year. Leave that will be sanctioned by the appropriate supervisor under whom the volunteer is deployed. No other kind of leave will be permissible. Pro-rata deduction of honorarium will be made for any unapproved leave.
Application Procedure for National Youth Corps
Step 1: The applicants must address the Nehru Yuva Kendras to register under this scheme. The NYKS will play the role of the National Secretariat for the intention of registering volunteers throughout the country.
Note: All District Youth Coordinators will invite application forms from their affiliated Youth Clubs, for the process of registration of volunteers by putting out notices and enough publicity.
Scheme Application Form
Step 2: A volunteer would be required to submit his/her application, as per the prescribed proforma to the concerned District Youth Coordinator of NYKS.
Submit the Application
Step 3: The application has to be filled out the application form with every requested information in the form
Step 4: Once all the information are entered and after attaching the required documents, the form has to be submitted to the relevant official.
Step 5: The applicants called for the interview would be required to produce original certificates and also submit the attested proofs of the same. It will be necessary to incorporate the Unique Identity Number (UID) wherever feasible or the Voter Identity number.
Step 6: All applications that are received under the Scheme will be processed through IT-based interface, with all the necessary linkage that is provided by the NYKS.
Selection of Volunteers
The volunteers will be selected by the Selection Committee, consisting of at least three members and not more than five members. The Chairman of Committee will be the District Collector or Deputy Commissioner of the concerned District. Other members will be eminent persons in the field of the education or public figures or officials or administrators associated with the youth work or rural development to be nominated by the Collector or DC of the District. The District Youth Coordinator of NYK would serve as the Member Secretary. The preference will be given to the members of NYK’s affiliated Youth Clubs, volunteers with the past experience in the NYKS/NSS.
Post by Sinduja Shankar
IndiaFilings is India's largest online compliance services platform dedicated to helping people start and grow their business, at an affordable cost. We were started in 2014 with the mission of making it easier for Entrepreneurs to start their business. We have since helped start and operate tens of thousands of businesses by offering a range of business services. Our aim is to help the entrepreneur on the legal and regulatory requirements, and be a partner throughout the business lifecycle, offering support at every stage to ensure the business remains compliant and continually growing.