Kisan Vikas Patra
Kisan Vikas Patra – Eligibility & Investment Application
Kisan Vikas Patra is a saving certificate scheme issued by the Government of India exclusively for the farmers. It was first launched in 1988 by India Post. Though it was initially successful, later from an investigation, it was found it to be misused and hence closed in 2011. The new Government in 2014 re-launched the Kisan Vikas Patra scheme with some changes.
Kisan Vikas Patra Scheme
- Kisan vikas patra is a saving scheme doubles the amount deposited within the time period of 118 months (9 years 10 months).
- The minimum amount to deposit is Rs.1000 and is available in the denominations of Rs 1000, Rs 5000, Rs 10,000 and Rs 50,000 without an upper-limit on the investment.
- The interest rate in the scheme is compounded annually and is 7.3% p.a. (effective from Jan, 2018).
- KVP is issued in the post offices or authorized banks and can be purchased by :
- An adult in his own name, or on behalf of a minor through an adult guardian
- Two adults jointly
- A Trust
- The lock-up period for the amount invested is 2 ½ years (30 months).
Note: The maturity period and the interest rate are subjected to change.
How to Purchase Kisan Vikas Patra Certificate
Any number of certificates can be purchased on the specified denominations. An application should be submitted to buy a KVP certificate and payment should be done by cash, cheque or demand draft in favour of the Post Master General.
- The duly signed application should be submitted along with the following documents.
- Aadhaar Card
- Passport size Photograph
- Mandatory PAN Card for investments over 50,000/-
- Income Source Proof for investments over 10 lakhs.
The certificate is issued immediately once the payment is made. The payment date is counted as the certificate date. The amount matures in 118 months from the certificate date. A copy of Kisan Vikas Patra application is provided below:Kisan Vikas Patra Application Form
Note: Mention the investor’s name and the amount clearly.
Pre-mature Withdrawal of Kisan Vikas Patra
Kisan Vikas Patra scheme allows an investor to withdraw from the scheme before the maturity date. The lock-in period for pre-mature withdrawal is 2 years and 6 months. The investor can appeal the post office or the bank branch and submit the application for pre-mature withdrawal. However, the amount will also be paid prior to the lock-in period in the following cases-
- Death of certificate holder or any of the holders where in the legal heir or the nominee will be paid.
- On order by court of law.
Transfer of Kisan Vikas Patra Certificate:
Kisan Vikas Patra Application Form offers the facility of transferring the certificate form one person to another person and from one post office/bank branch to another post office/ bank branch. To transfer a Kisan Vikas Patra, the following documents are required:
- Identity Proof : Aadhaar Card /Driving License/Voter ID/Passport etc.
- Residence Proof : Aadhaar Card /Driving License/Voter ID/Telephone Bill /Passport etc.
- Original Kisan Vikas Patra (KVP) Certificate
- Pan Card Copy
A copy of the application for transfer of Kisan Vikas Patra Certificate is provided below:Kisan Vikas Patra – Transfer Application
The maturity proceeds will be credited to the savings bank account. The interest accrued on the amount is taxable.
Click here to calculate income tax payable.
The following documents must be submitted by the applicant at the time of maturity of certificate.
- Original KVP certificate
- Identity proof of the holder.
- The investor/nominee must sign behind the KVP on the receipt of encashed amount. In the case of a minor KVP Certificate holder attaining majority, the KVP Certificate shall be signed by such a person himself or herself on attestation by a known person to the Post Master.