Swatantra Sainik Samman Yojana (SSSY)
Swatantra Sainik Samman Yojana (SSSY)
The key objective of Swatantra Sainik Samman Pension Scheme is to provide pension to freedom fighters & their eligible dependents in India. The SSSY implemented by the Central Government of India and made it effective from 01.08.1980.In this article, we look at the Swatantra Sainik Samman Yojana (SSSY) Pension scheme for freedom fighter in detail.
Swatantra Sainik Samman Yojana at a Glance
Indian Government has started the ‘Ex-Andaman political Pensioners Pension Scheme’ 1969. This scheme aimed to honour the freedom fighters of India who were jailed by the British in the Cellular Jail at Port Blair. Another Scheme for freedom fighters and their eligible dependents was introduced on Silver Jubilee year of Independence 15.08.1972. The primary objective of this scheme to grant the pension to them. These two schemes were merged in the year 1980, and the new system was introduced as Swatantra Sainik Samman Yojana or SSSY. The government of India is now distributing pension for freedom fighters and to their eligible dependents as Swatantra Sainik Samman Yojana.
Swatantra Sainik Samman Yojana (SSSY) for 2017-2020
- Swatantra Sainik Samman Yojana 12th Five Year Plan was ended on 31.03.2017.
- The Government of India has approved the continuation of Swatantra Sainik Samman Yojana (SSSY) for the period of 2017-2020.
- This approved scheme provides monthly pension to freedom fighters & their eligible dependents.
Eligible Dependents for Samman Pension
Samman pension is provided to Freedom fighter family include (if the freedom fighter is not alive) mother, father, widower/widow if he/she has not since remarried, unmarried daughters. Only one person in the family is eligible for getting Samman pension.
Sequence of eligibility
In the event of availability of more than one dependent in the family, the sequence of eligibility will be as follows.
- Unmarried daughters
Eligibility Criteria for Samman Pension
The following categories of freedom fighters are eligible for the Samman Pension.
- Dependents of martyrs are eligible for Samman Pension. A martyr is a person who was killed due to participation in the freedom struggle of India.
- A person who had suffered minimum 6-month imprisonment of participation in freedom struggle is eligible to get pension. Note: Eligibility criteria for women & SC/ST are 3 months for women.
- If a person’s participation in freedom struggle remained underground for more than six months is eligible for Samman pension.
- A person whose property was damaged or sold due to participation in the freedom struggle is eligible to get this pension.
- If a person became permanently incapacitated during firing or lathi charge in Freedom struggle, he/she is eligible for this pension.
- By participating in freedom struggle if a person lost his Government job he/she is eligible.
- Any person was awarded the punishment of 10 strokes of caning/flogging/whipping due to his participation in freedom struggle. He/she is eligible to get Samman pension.
Person not eligible for Samman Pension
If the property of a person was restored, he is not eligible for Samman Pension.
Persons who were reinstated in Government service before the expiry of two years from their dismissal or removal from service and were in receipt of benefits or pay and allowances are not eligible for the pension.
Samman Pension Amount
Initially, Rs. 200 was fixed as the monthly pension for the freedom fighters. This pension amount was revised from time to time. The amount of pension is extended to various categories of freedom fighters and their dependents during 2017 – 2020. The amount of pension to freedom fighter is tabulated here.
Note: This pension amount is not taxable.
Category of the Freedom Fighter
|Basic pension with effect from 15.08.2016 (per month)||Dearness Relief @3% with effect from 01.07.2017||Total amount of pension (in Rs.) per month|
|Ex-Andaman Political Prisoners/Spouses||Rs.30,000/-||Rs. 900/-||Rs.30,900/-|
|Freedom fighters who suffered outside British India/spouses||Rs.28,000/-||Rs.840/-||Rs.28,840/-|
|Other freedom fighters/Spouses (including INA)||Rs.26,000/-||Rs.780/-||Rs.26,780/-|
|Dependent parents/eligible daughters (maximum 3 daughters at any point of time)||50% of the sum admissible to the Pension i.e. in the range of Rs.13,000/- to Rs.15,000/-||Rs.390/- to Rs.450/-||50% of the sum admissible to the Pension i.e. in the range of Rs.13,390/- to Rs.15,450|
Documents Required to Apply for Samman Pension
For applying to Samman pension, the eligible person needs to submit the documents listed below whichever is applicable:
- Eligible dependents of martyrs should submit relevant documents from official records and newspapers of the relevant time.
- Imprisoned freedom fighters needs to submit Certificate from the concerned jail authorities, District Magistrates or the State Government.
- Persons who were absconding and involved in covert freedom fighting need to produce Documentary evidence such as Courts /Government orders proclaiming the applicant as an absconder, announcing an award on his head or for his arrest or ordering his detention.
- In case of loss of property or job, the orders of confiscation and sale of property, rders of dismissal or removal from service can be provided.
- For permanent incapacitation, certificate stating that permanent incapacitation was done by bullet injury/lathi charge sustained during participation in the National Freedom Struggle can be submitted. It can be obtained from the District Magistrate
- For handicapped persons, medical certificate from the Civil Surgeon can be provided.
Application Process for Swatantra Sainik Samman Yojana
To apply for Samman Pension eligible person can follow below-mentioned steps.
Step 1: You need to submit an application in prescribed format. The application form for Swatantra Sainik Samman Yojana is reproduced below:
Step 2: Fill out all relevant details in the application.
Step 3: You need to send application form along with all relevant details to the Chief Secretary to the State Government/Union Territory concerned.
Step 4: The second copy should be sent to the Deputy Secretary to the Government of India, Freedom Fighters Division, Ministry of Home Affairs, First Floor, Lok Nayak Bhawan, New Delhi – 3.
Step 5: The claim of the applicant will be scrutinized in the State Government/Union Territory administration in consultation with State Advisory Committee on the basis of a copy of application submitted to them.
Step 6: After receipt of State verification and entitlement to pension report, the claim of the applicant is scrutinized and if found eligible Pension is granted.
Duration of Swatantra Sainik Samman Yojana
Samman pension will be granted lifetime for unmarried daughters. Pension will be cancelled immediately if they got married
In case of death of a pensioner; eligible dependents need to apply in a fresh application form along with proof of death of the pensioner.
Income Tax eFiling
We have made the Income Tax eFiling, simple and easy. File your income tax return online with the dedicated Tax Experts support from IndiaFilings.
IndiaFilings.com (ERI ID: ERIA100945) is an Income Tax Department authorised eReturn Intermediary.