Renewal of the FSSAI License after the Expiry Date
Until the FSSAI license/registration expired, there was no provision for filing the FSSAI license renewal or Registration. FBOs must apply for a new License/Registration to restart the business. To facilitate the food businesses to continue with the same license number even after the expiry date, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India announced a new policy for renewing the FSSAI License/Registration after the expiry date. The current article briefs the Procedure to Renew the FSSAI License/Registration after the expiry date.
Gist of Notification
Due to the prevailing Covid-19 pandemic in the country, the FBOs have failed to renew their License/Registration in the provided time. They were required to obtain a new License/Registration to continue their food business.
As mentioned above, to facilitate the food businesses to continue with the same license number even after the expiry date, FSSAI announced the new policy. According to the new policy, FBO can now renew the FSSAI License/Registration even after the expiry date with some penalties.
Important Announcement to FBO
- This provision of filing renewal application after the expiry date shall be subjected to online submission of due Annual Returns through FoSCoS by the licensed food manufacturer or importer.
- No renewal shall be allowed after l80 days from the original expiry date
- FBOs shall not be permitted to conduct any food business in the period from the original expiry date till the issuance of renewed license. Any food business conducted in such period will be subject to penalties and punishment as per Section 63 of the FSS Act, 2006
- A fresh validity date will be generated on the grant of renewed License/Registration
- The policy shall be valid till the date of implementation/ operationalization of FSS (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Amendment regulations, 2021
- FBOs whose license/registration has expired within the last 180 days from the date of issuance of this order can avail of the policy and apply for Renewal of License/Registration through the Food Safety Compliance System, FoSCoS.
Renewal of FSSAI license
FSSAI license is mandatory before starting any food business. All the manufacturers, traders, and restaurants involved in the food business must obtain a 14-digit registration or a license number printed on food packages with the FSSAI Logo.
FSSAI license is issued with a validity of 1 year with the option of extending the validity of the license for up to 5 years. Once the validity of the FSSAI license expires, it is imperative to renew the license. To continue the business, it is required to be renewed before the expiry of the FSSAI License validity.
Prescribed Date for FSSAI Renewal
Food Safety Standard (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulations, 201 states that FBOs must apply for the Renewal of a license as early as 30 days before the expiry date mentioned in the permit.
The window for filing a renewal application opens for Food Businesses as early as 180 days before the expiry date.
Late fee for Non-Renewal of FSSAI License
If the Renewal of a license is not filed 30 days before the expiry date, a late fee of Rs. 100 per day is to be paid by FBO, along with the renewal fee.
Note: This late fee is not applicable in the case of Registration.
New Policy for Renewing the FSSAI License/Registration after the Expiry Date
To facilitate the food businesses to continue with the same license number even after the expiry date, it has been decided with the approval of the Food Authority to enable Food Business Operator to renew the FSSAI License/Registration even after the expiry date with the following penalties.
- Three times the existing annual license/registration fee in the period – 1st day to 90th day from the original expiry date
- Additional two times of the existing annual license/registration fee (i.e., total five times) in the period – 91st day to 180th day from the original expiry date
Documents Required for Renewal of License
A list of documents required to be submitted at the time of applying for a new FSSAI license and renewal/modification of permit was issued by FSSAI vide a Notification dated 19th March 2021
Click here to get the detailed List of Documents Required for FSSAI License.
The following documents will apply to all kinds of business
- FSMS Certificate
- Updating of details of Nominee
- Modification of License
- Supporting Document for modification on letterhead
- Any document which is required by licensing authority to ensure the safety of food
The fee structure to apply for the Renewal of the FSSAI License is tabulated here for reference:
|1||FSSAI Manufacturing License||Rs.2000 to 7500 per year|
|2||FSSAI Registration Certificate||Rs.100 per year|
|3||Modification of License and Certificate||Rs.1000 for the license and Rs.100 for the Registration|
|4||Renewal of License and Certificate||Same as New license/Registration|
Application Procedure for FSSAI License Renewal
Access the official webpage of the Food Safety Compliance System (FoSCoS); after logging in, navigate to “Renewal” and select “Apply for Renewal of license/registration.
A list of issued licenses/registration for Renewal will appear. Click on “Proceed” against the application that which user wants to renew.
- License/Registration Certificate eligible for Renewal shall only be listed 120 days before the License expiry.
- License/Registration Certificate shall not get listed here for Renewal once the FSSAI License/Registration Certificate has expired today (Original expiry of 180 days). In that case, submit a new application.
The Form B, Application Details page wherein the following stages will be in editable/non-editable mode:
- Premises Details: Non-editable.
- Product Selection: Non-editable.
- Communication Details: All sections are editable except the registered address. ◦
- Required Documents: Mandatory Documents can only be uploaded. ◦
- Payment: As per year(s) selected by the user
Note: If the Renewal of a license is applied 90 days before expiration, then only renewal fees are charged. Post 90 days, a fine of Rs.100/day will be charged in addition to renewal fees.
- After making payment, a receipt will be generated with a new 17-digit registration number which can be used for future reference.
- From the homepage, click on “Renewal of License and Registration Fee: Same as new License/Registration.”
- Fill in the License/Registration number, validity end date, and captcha code, and click on the Submit button.
- By clicking on the “Proceed” button. Form B will open, wherein the user can upload the documents, select the year for which a license is required, and choose a payment method to move forward with the application.
- After completing the payment, a receipt will be generated with a 17- digit reference number which can be used for future reference.
- Users can track the status of the application through the official webpage of FosCoS.
Log onto www.indiafilings.com to learn more about FSSAI Licensing and the relevant compliances. Our team of FSSAI experts will guide you throughout the process.