How to Obtain DIN?
How to Obtain DIN?
Any person who is a Director of a Company or Partner of a LLP is required to have a valid Director Identification Number (DIN) or Designated Partner Identification Number (DPIN). DIN is a unique number, and is mandatory requirement for a company/ limited liability partnership (LLP) for filing certain eForms. DIN is usually obtain during company registration or LLP registration for proposed Directors of the company who do not have an existing DIN or DPIN.
Obtaining DIN (Form DIR-3)
DIN can be obtained for a person by filing Form DIR-3. The DIR-3 form must contain a photo of the DIN applicant along with the details of the applicant and the following documents:
- In case of Indian nationals, Income-tax PAN is a mandatory requirement for proof of identity.
- In case of foreign nationals, passport is a mandatory requirement for proof of identity.
- Address proofs like passport, election (voter identity) card, and ration card, driving license, electricity bill, telephone bill or aadhaar shall be attached and should be in the name of applicant only.
- In case of Indian applicant, documents should not be older than 2 months from the date of filing of the eForm.
- In case of foreign applicant, address proof should not be older than 1 year from the date of filing of the eForm.
The application for DIN must be digitally signed using a class2 signature by the person applying for DIN. In addition, DIN application form must be digitally signed by a Chartered Accountant or Cost Accountant or Company Secretary in whole-time practice. A Company Secretary in full-time employment or Director of the company in which the applicant is to be appointed as a Director can also digitally sign the DIN form. However, in such cases, the supporting documents attached should be either self-attested by the applicant or duly attested by either Public Notary or a Gazette Officer of a Government.
DIN for Foreign Nationals and NRIs
DIN for foreign nationals can be obtained by providing a copy of the foreign nationals passport that is notarised and apostilled. The passport copy attached for the foreign national DIN applicant must contain the date of birth of the applicant. If passport does not include date of birth, then an additional proof containing date of birth must be submitted, duly certified or attested. Further, in case of proofs which are in languages other than Hindi / English, the proofs should be translated in Hindi / English from professional translator carrying his details (name, signature, address) and seal. In the case of foreign nationals, translation done by the notary of home country is also acceptable.