State FSSAI License
State FSSAI License
State FSSAI License is required for majority of the food businesses operating in India. FSSAI license is either provided as a State License or Central License based on certain criteria. Large food businesses and food product importer require Central License, where small and medium sized food businesses require State FSSAI license. The criteria for obtaining Central FSSAI License and documents required is covered in a separate article. In this article, we review the criteria and documents required for obtaining State FSSAI License.
State FSSAI License Eligibility Criteria
The following food business operators are required to obtain state FSSAI license:
- Food storage businesses not having controlled atmosphere or cold storage capability having capacity of upto 50,000 MT.
- Cold or refrigerated food storage businesses having capacity of upto 10,000 MT.
- Controlled atmosphere + Cold food storage business having capacity of upto 1,000 MT.
- Food wholesalers having turnover of upto Rs.30 crores.
- Food retailers having turnover of upto Rs.20 crores.
- Food distributors having turnover of upto Rs. 20 crores.
- Food suppliers having turnover of upto Rs.20 crores.
- Food caterers having turnover of upto Rs.20 crores.
- Dhaba, Boarding Houses serving food, Banquet halls with food catering arrangements, Home-based Canteens / Dabba Wallas, Permanent or Temporary Stall Holders, Food Stalls or Arrangements in Religious gatherings or fairs having turnover of more than Rs.12 lakhs per year.
- Fish or meat or poultry shop sellers or any other food vending establishment having turnover of more than Rs.12 lakhs per year.
- Club or canteens having turnover of more than Rs.12 lakhs per year.
- Hotel having three star to four star or hotels having a turnover of more than Rs.12 lakhs.
- Restaurants having a turnover of upto Rs.20 crores.
- Food transporters having upto 100 vehicles or annual turnover of upto Rs.30 crores.
- Food markers having turnover of upto Rs.20 crores.
- Dairy units including milk chilling units equipped to handle or process 501 to 50,000 LPD of milk or more than 2.5 MT to 2500 MT of milk solids per year.
- Vegetable oil processing units and units producing vegetable oil by the process of solvent extraction and refineries including oil expeller unit having upto 2 MT per day or turnover above Rs.12 lakhs per year.
- Slaughtering units handling upto 50 large animals or 150 small animals or upto 1000 poultry birds per day.
- Meat processing units having capacity to process upto 500kg of meat per day or 150 MT per annum.
- All food processing units including relabellers and repackers having capacity of more than 100 kg per day.
- All grains, cereals and pulses milling units.
Documents Required for Obtaining State FSSAI License
The following documents must be submitted to the FSSAI for obtaining State FSSAI License:
- Form- B completed and signed by the Proprietor or Partner or Authorized Signatory.
- Blueprint/layout of the processing unit showing the dimensions and operation-wise area allocation (Mandatory for manufacturing and processing units only).
- List of Directors / Partner / Proprietor / Executive Members of Society / Trust with full address and contact details (Mandatory for Companies only).
- Name and list of equipments and machinery along with the number, installed capacity and horse power used (Mandatory for manufacturing and processing units only).
- Photo identification and address proof issued by the Government for Proprietor / Partner / Director(s) / Authorized Signatory (Optional).
- List of food category desired to be manufactured. (For manufactures only).
- Authority letter with name and address of responsible person nominated by the manufacturer along with alternative responsible person indicating the powers vested with them viz assisting the officers in inspection, collection of samples, packing and dispatch. (For manufacturers and processors).
- Analysis report (Chemical & Bacteriological) of water to be used as ingredient in food from a recognized / public health laboratory to confirm the portability. (Mandatory for manufacturing and processing units).
- Proof of possession of premises (Sale deed / Rental Agreement / Electricity Bill) (Optional).
- Partnership Deed or Declaration for Proprietorship or MOA & AOA along with Certificate of Incorporation and List of Directors with address. In case of Company, three pages must be uploaded: First Page – Certificate of Incorporation, Second Page – Authorization of food business activity and Third Page – List of Directors with addresses).
- Copy of certificate obtained under Coop Act – 1861 / Multi State Coop Act – 2002 in case of Cooperatives. (If applicable).
- NOC & Copy of License from manufacturer (Mandatory for Relabellers and Repackers).
- Food Safety Management System Plan or Certificate (if any).
- Source of milk or procurement plan for milk including location of milk collection centres in case of milk and milk products processing units. (if applicable).
- Source of raw material for meat and meat processing plants. (if applicable).
- Pesticide residues report of water in case of units manufacturing packaged drinking water, packaged mineral water and/or carbonated water from a recognized / public health laboratory.
- Recall plan wherever applicable, with details on whom the product is distributed (optional).
- NOC from Municipality or Local Body (optional).
- FSSAI Form IX: Nomination of Persons by a Company along with the Board Resolution.
- Certificate provided by Ministry of Tourism (HRACC). (Mandatory for Hotels).
- Documentary proof of turnover or self declaration of number of vehicles (Mandatory for Transporters).
- FSSAI Declaration Form (In case of Delhi and Himachal Pradesh).