Pharmaceuticals Export Promotion Council of India
Pharmaceuticals Export Promotion Council of India
India ranks third in the manufacture and export of pharmaceutical products. Considering the vast potential and global demand for pharmaceutical products, the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India, established the Pharmaceuticals Export Promotion Council of India (Pharmexcil) under the Foreign Trade Policy in 2004. The Council, headquartered in Hyderabad, works towards boosting the growth of the pharma industry by conducting international trade fairs and other promotional activities.
The mission of the Council
The Pharmaceuticals Export Promotion Council of India was launched with a mission,
- To harmonize and smoothen the drug registration process in the partner countries.
- To launch national health protection schemes that will improve the safety and efficacy of the drugs.
- To overcome the technical barriers that are hindering the export of the drugs.
- To enhance the council members’ knowledge by offering operational advice and regulatory matters of the partnering countries.
- To create revenue streams for individuals by increasing export opportunities and emerging as a global hub for pharmaceutical products.
Functions of the Council
The Pharmexcil acts as a bridge between the Government of India and the pharmaceutical agencies spread across the globe. It analyses the pharma market to devise a feasible solution for the hindrances in the market. The Council is the authoritative agency that issues the Certification of Origin and RCMC to entrepreneurs.
It evaluates all the pharma export policies laid down by the Government of India and suggests changes in the guidelines. The Council organizes national and international trades and seminars for its members to widen their network and opportunities. It supports its members in claiming their Market Access Incentives disbursed by the Government of India.
Pharmexcil is the responsible body for checking the safety and quality of the pharmaceutical products that are manufactured and exported from the country by executing the barcode technology. It checks the entire supply chain with the help of the Global Trade Identification Number (GTIN) and through a trace and track system.
Benefits for the Council Members
As per the notification issued by the DGFT on 16-03-2005, only the entrepreneurs holding the Registration Cum Membership Certificate (RCMC) approved and issued by the Pharmexcil can avail of benefits from the Council. Some of the benefits are cited below:
- Please participate in the international trade fairs to exhibit their products/services
- Take part in the national and international seminars organized by the Council where they can share and learn about developmental activities.
- Get access to regulatory updates about their partnering country and other significant details related to the pharma industry shared on their website, and
- Avail several schemes disbursed by the Government of India
Products Covered under Pharmexcil
The products/services which are covered under the range of Pharmexcil are as follows:
- Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API)
- Finished Dosage Forms (FDF)
- Herbal/Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy
- Diagnostics and Surgical
- Collaborative Research
- Contract Manufacturing
- Clinical Trials & Consultancy and
- Regulatory Services
The entrepreneurs must become a member of the Pharmexcil to avail of its benefits. They should pay their subscription amount to the Council either by drawing a DD in favor of ‘The Pharmaceuticals Export Promotion Council of India’ or by transferring it through NEFT/RGTS. The details regarding the membership fee as per their categories are listed below:
- Large Scale Entrepreneurs should pay a total amount of Rs.63,720 as an entrance fee of Rs.18,000, an annual subscription fee of Rs.36,000, and a GST amount of Rs.9720.
- Small Scale Entrepreneurs should pay an entrance fee of Rs.5,000, an annual subscription fee of Rs.10,000, and a tax amount of Rs.2700.
- Retailers/exporters applying for the membership should pay a total amount of Rs.21,240, i.e., an entrance fee of Rs.6,000, a tax amount of Rs.3240, and an annual subscription fee of Rs.12,000.
For Large Scale Entrepreneurs
Individuals from the Large Scale Manufacturing units should present a certificate authorized and issued by the Secretariat for Industrial Assistance, IEC, PAN Card, Industrial, and Drug License Certificate, along with a detailed report of their company.
For Small Scale Entrepreneurs
The Small Scale Entrepreneurs should submit the SSI certificate issued by the Director of Industries, IEC, Pan Card, SSI Permanent Registration, and Drug Registration Certificate, along with a detailed report of their company.
Retailers/exporters should submit IEC, PAN cards, and Drug License certificates along with their company brochures.
Individuals willing to become a member of Pharmexcil can log into their official website and submit their online application form. Individuals should submit a copy of the application form and mandatory documents along with three copies of signed and attested RCMC for the approval of the Registration Cum Membership Certificate (RCMC).
Pharmaceuticals Export Promotion Council of India,
201, Aditya Trade Center, Ameerpet, Hyderabad – 500038
Email: [email protected]
DGFT Registration cum Membership Certificate (RCMC)
Earlier, an exporter desiring to obtain an RCMC had to file an application in Form ANF 2C with the Tea Board and declare his mainstream business in the application. The procedure was outlined above for reference.
The Director-General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) has issued a Trade Notice No.35/2021-2022 for Mandatory Electronic filing of Registration Cum Membership Certificate (RCMC) or Registration Certificate (RC) through DGFT Common Digital Platform with effect from 01.04.2022.
With this Trade Notice, DGFT informed that a new Common Digital Platform (DGFT e-RCMC module) for Issuance of RCMC had been developed, which would be single-point access for all exporters & importers. This Common Digital Platform is designed to provide an electronic, contactless single window for the RCMC/RC-related processes, including Applications for Fresh/ Amendment/ Renewal of RCMC/ RC.
The Common Digital Platform for Electronic filing of RCMC shall be available at https://dgft.gov.in.
Click here to learn more about the DGFT Registration cum Membership Certificate (RCMC) – Online Procedure.
Post by Arnold Thomas
IndiaFilings is India's largest online compliance services platform dedicated to helping people start and grow their business, at an affordable cost. We were started in 2014 with the mission of making it easier for Entrepreneurs to start their business. We have since helped start and operate tens of thousands of businesses by offering a range of business services. Our aim is to help the entrepreneur on the legal and regulatory requirements, and be a partner throughout the business lifecycle, offering support at every stage to ensure the business remains compliant and continually growing.