Marriage Registration Procedure in West Bengal
Marriage Registration in West Bengal
A marriage certificate is a legal proof which ensures that two people are married. In West Bengal, Marriage Registration is performed either under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 or under the Special Marriage Act, 1954. Further, In 2006, the Supreme Court has made marriage registration mandatory for the welfare of women. In this article, we look at the procedure for marriage registration in West Bengal.
Benefits of Marriage Certificate
Marriage certificate provides social security, particularly to married women’s. Further, the marriage certificate is necessary for obtaining or changing various other documents like passport, ration card, PAN card name change, etc.
Eligibility Criteria for Marriage Registration
To obtain a marriage registration certificate in West Bengal, the applicant has to satisfy the following criteria:
- The bride and groom should not be less than 18 and 21 years of age, respectively.
- The parties (husband and wife) must be living together at the time of registering their marriage.
- At the time of marriage registration, there should not be more than one spouse of any of the parties.
- The husband and wife must have lived together for at least one month in the district where marriage is to be registered.
At the time of registering the marriage, submit the following documents along with the application form:
- Residential proof of bride and groom.
- Passport size photo of the bride and the bridegroom.
- Age certificate of the bride and groom.
- Proof of marriage such as marriage invitation card, joint photograph and an affidavit from the priest or local panchayat bodies.
Fee for Marriage Registration
The Marriage Registration fee in West Bengal is given in the below tabular column:
|S.No||Scheduled Fee||Time Period|
|1.||Rs. 200||If the application for the marriage registration is made within 2 months of the date of its solemnization.|
|2.||Rs. 400||If the application for the registration of a marriage is made after two months of the date of its solemnization.|
Procedure for Registration of Marriage certificate
To apply for marriage registration online, follow the below steps:
Step 1: The applicant must visit the official website of the Judicial Department to register for the marriage certificate.
Step 2: On the next page, click on the link “Click here to apply online” to register the marriage.
Step 3: Now fill the details of the groom in the form.
Step 4: After filling the groom details, now proceed with bride details.
Step 5: Furnish details of the marriage.
Step 6: Now enter the details of the marriage officer.
Step 7: Then complete the details required for marriage registration.
Step 8: Finally, click on the apply button by attaching the scanned documents to submit your application details.
Step 9: Once done with the above process, the applicant will get the certified copy of the marriage registration.
Note: If the Marriage registration certificate is not received by the applicant, then the applicant must visit the respective Registration office and apply in person.
Validity of Marriage Certificate
The Marriage certificate provided above will be valid forever until the marriage remains valid.