Lakshadweep Birth Certificate
Lakshadweep Birth Certificate
A birth certificate is an identity document that allows an applicant to avail services offered by the Indian Government to its citizens. A birth certificate contains information relating to birth such as time, date and place of birth. The State Government of Lakshadweep offers service of issuing the birth certificate to people born in the State. This certificate serves to establish the date and fact of one’s birth for a whole range of purposes such as acquiring the right to vote, admission to schools, right to marry at the legally permissible age, settlement of inheritance and property rights, and for obtaining Government-issued documents like driving license and passport. In this article, we look at the procedure for obtaining the Lakshadweep Birth Certificate in detail.
Purpose of Birth Certificate
The birth certificate can be used for the following purposes. They are:
- The birth certificate enables the applicant to obtain a residence certificate.
- This certificate enables the applicant to apply for a caste certificate.
- This certificate is an essential document while applying for the death certificate.
- This certificate helps the applicant while applying for the ration card and pension plan enrollment.
It is mandatory to register every birth to the concerned State or Union Territory within 21 days of its occurrence as per the Birth and Death Registration Act, 1969. However, one has to make the registration procedures for births occurring in different places.
- The head of the family or the nearest relative of the child should register the birth if it has occurred in-house.
- Deputy Superintendent of the hospital or officers-in-charge should register the birth if it has occurred in the hospital.
- Medical officer should register the birth if it has occurred in the maternity home or other nursing institutions.
- The jail in-charge should register the birth if it has occurred in jail.
- The person-in-charge of the vehicle should register the birth if it has occurred in a moving vehicle.
- The Headman of the village or the in charge of the local police station should register the birth if it has occurred in an abandoned place.
Note:- Birth details should be given in prescribed application form or application on plain paper. In the case of birth at the hospital, the application form can be obtained from the hospital. Otherwise, the applicant can get the same from the concerned registrar office or download in the State Government website.
While applying for the birth certificate in Lakshadweep, submit the following documents:
- Duly completed application form
- Parent’s marriage certificate
- Parent’s address proof
- A birth proof was given by the hospital
- Parent’s identity proof
- An affidavit consisting of the details of the birth
Contents of Birth Certificate
The birth certificate consists of the following details as below:
- Name of child
- Name of father
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Signature and stamp of issuing authority
Birth Certificate Issuing Authority in Lakshadweep
In Villages (Dweep) Panchayath: Health Inspector
In Islands: First Aid Center, Pharmacist, Bitra are designed as Registrar of Birth in respective Island.
Additional District Magistrate, Lakshadweep has been appointed as the respective authority to issue orders and register the birth events reported after one year of its occurrence.
Step 1: Visit the homepage of the Department of Medical and Health Services – Lakshadweep.
Step 2: Click on “Application Form” option in the portal that will redirect to the next page where birth registration form is available.
Step 3: Select “Form for Registration of Birth” option and download the application form.
Step 4: Fill out the application form correctly and submit it to the concerned Registrar of Births and Deaths along with the required documents.
The birth certificate will be issued to the informant and those who apply for the same in the form prescribed under the RBD (Required Beginning Date) rule for free of charge immediately after registration.