Goa Marriage Certificate
Goa Marriage Certificate
State governments issue a marriage certificate upon registration, which is a document certifying the marriage bond of a bride and bridegroom. In India, Marriages are either registered under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 or the Special Marriage Act, 1954. In this article, we look at the procedure for obtaining Goa marriage certificate.
Benefits of Marriage Certificate
The following are the benefits of obtaining a marriage certificate in Goa.
- A marriage certificate can be used as an official record to prove that marriage has occurred.
- This certificate enables widows to claim the inheritance.
- This certificate ensures the minimum age for marriage to prevent child marriages.
- It can also be used to check polygamy or bigamy.
- It acts as a deterrent to husbands deserting their wives.
- This certificate helps women to exercise their rights of shelter from husband and for custody of children.
- Moreover, its usage extends while applying for passport service, visa to obtain immigration benefits.
The bride and the groom should satisfy the following conditions of eligibility to acquire the marriage certificate in Goa:
- The groom or the bride should be a permanent resident of India for obtaining the marriage certificate in Goa.
- At the time of the marriage, the concerned party should have a living spouse.
- The groom should have attained the age of 21 years, and the bride must be 18 years old at the time of the marriage.
The concerned party should apply to the Sub Divisional Magistrate under whose jurisdiction the marriage occurred or where the spouses had stayed for at least six months before the wedding. To register, any one of the following places should come under the jurisdiction of the Registering Officer:
- Residence of the bridegroom.
- Residence of the bride.
- Solemnization place.
In India, a marriage can be recorded under either the Hindu Marriage Act or the Special Marriage Act. The Hindu Marriage Act applies to Hindus, whereas the Special Marriage Act applies to all citizens of India irrespective of their religion. The Hindu Marriage Act provides for registration of an already solemnised marriage and does not provide for solemnization of a marriage by a Marriage Registrar. However, the Special Marriage Act provides for the solemnization of a marriage as well as registration by a marriage officer.
While applying for the marriage certificate in Goa, furnish the following document along with the application:
- Application form
- Affidavit of the couple stating the place of marriage, date of marriage, marital status and nationality.
- Passport size photo and photograph of a marriage wedding invitation card, if any.
- Residency proof of the Applicant
- Birth certificate of the groom (Age Proof)
- Birth certificate of the bride (Age Proof)
- If marriage happens at a religious place,, then the certificate by the priest.
- For divorced people, the order of divorce and verified copy of the death certificate is required in case of a widower/widow.
Marriage Certificate Issuing Authority In Goa
Sub-Registrars of the concerned district will issue the marriage certificate to the applicant.
Step 1: Visit the home page of the Government of Goa.
Step 2: Then click on “Departments” option in the menu bar.
Step 3: Select ” Registration Department” option and then you will be redirected to the next page where all the official application form of the State Government of Goa is available.
Step 4: Click on ” Download ” option and download the marriage application form in a PDF format.
Step 5: Fill out the application and submit it to the Marriage Officer of the Office of the District Magistrate & Collector along with the required documents.Goa Marriage Certificate
The concerned authority will issue the marriage certificate to the applicant within 10 -15 working days from the date of application.
The Government issues the marriage certificate that is valid for a lifetime.
Post by Sivaramakrishnan
IndiaFilings is India's largest online compliance services platform dedicated to helping people start and grow their business, at an affordable cost. We were started in 2014 with the mission of making it easier for Entrepreneurs to start their business. We have since helped start and operate tens of thousands of businesses by offering a range of business services. Our aim is to help the entrepreneur on the legal and regulatory requirements, and be a partner throughout the business lifecycle, offering support at every stage to ensure the business remains compliant and continually growing.