FSSAI +F Endorsement Certificate
FSSAI +F Endorsement Certificate
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), vide a circular dated 12.04.2021, has issued Standard Operating Procedure for applying for a +F endorsement certificate for Fortified Food products in FoSCoS. To obtain the +F Endorsement Certificate, an FBO must endorse the fortified staples via the Food Safety Compliance System (FoSCos) of FSSAI. Post the endorsement, the open file of the +F logo/+F Endorsement Certificate will be available to the FBO for incorporation on the label of fortified products.
Log onto www.indiafilings.com to learn more about FSSAI Licensing and the relevant compliances. Our team of FSSAI experts will guide you throughout the process.
Synopsis of Notification
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has notified the Food Safety and Standards (Fortification of Foods) First Amendment Regulation 2020, which will be implemented from 1st July 2021. The regulation provides standards for fortified processed foods
In line with this regulation, the Provision for applying +F Endorsement Certificate of Fortified food products in FSSAI License/Registration in Food Safety Compliance System (FoSCos) has been modified to provide coverage of processed foods.
FBOs need to upload test reports showing levels of fortifications in fortified food products from NABL-accredited labs against all food products for the +F endorsement certificate.
The official notification about the +F Endorsement Certificate is attached here for reference:
+F Endorsement Certificate
The Food Safety And Standard Authority of India (FSSAI) has introduced the +F logo for fortified staple food products which will help people to identify which food products are rich in nutrients.
The manufacturer and packers who wish to procure the logo must apply to FSSAI online as per Food Safety and Standards (Fortification of Foods) First Amendment Regulation 2020. After submitting the information, the verification process will be conducted by FSSAI. Once verified, the logo in an open file format will be provided to the applicant.
Significance of +F Endorsement Certificate
+F Endorsement Certificate describes that the food is fortified with micronutrients per the levels specified by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) in Food Safety and Standards (Fortification of Foods) First Amendment Regulation 2020.
Fortification is adding crucial minerals and vitamins like zinc, iron, iodine, and Vitamins A and D to foods like oil, milk, rice, salt, and wheat to improve their nutritional content. It is essential to have nutritious food, and a lack of a balanced diet can cause health issues. The fortification of food helps address this problem. It helps with the diversification of diet and also helps in the supplementation of food.
Importance of Food Fortification
Fortification of staples mentioned under Food Safety and Standards (Fortification of Foods) First Amendment Regulation 2020 is not mandatory. However, if any food Business Operators want to fortify these commodities and use the +F logo, they shall strengthen their products per the standards specified under the regulation.
The iodization of salt is mandatory per the Provision of Food Safety Standards (Prohibitions and Restriction on sales) Regulation 2018. The standards of any food product under the regulation prescribe the addition of particular vitamins/minerals as a mandatory requirement of that specific standard; the same shall have complied, but in such cases +F logo shall not be used.
Benefits of +F Endorsement Certificate
- Logo – All the fortified products have a logo (+F logo) that endorses fortification and the quality of the product
- Cost – Fortification cost is low, and the products carry values
- Health – An opportunity to promote health through which the business transaction can be improved
Food Products Categories
The food products which are covered under the FSS (Fortification of Foods) First Amendment Regulation, 2020, for which endorsement can be obtained are as follows:
|Sl.No||Food Products Covered under FSS||Food Product Category in FoSCoS|
|1||Milk||Dairy Products and analogs, excluding products of food category 2.0|
|2||Edible Oil||Fats and oil, and fat emulsions|
|3||Fortified Fruit Juices||Fruits and vegetables (including mushrooms, fungi, roots and tubers, fresh pulses and|
|4||Rice Wheat Flour and Maida, Fortified Cereal Products||Cereals and cereal products derived from cereal grains, seeds and tubers, pulses, legumes, and pith or softcore of palm tree|
|5||Fortified bakery wares||Bakery products|
|6||Salt||Salts, spices, soups, salads, and protein products|
Important Announcement for FBO
- FBOs need to upload test reports showing fortification levels in the fortified food product from an FSSAI-notified/NABL-accredited lab against each product for +F endorsement to substantiate the claim made for fortification.
- The grant of the +F endorsement certificate by the concerned Designated Officer (DO) or Registering Authority (RA) will be based on the verification of the application submitted by FBO.
Validity of +F Endorsement Certificate
To provide ease of doing business, the FSSAI has decided to discontinue the renewal of the +F Endorsement Certificate by the FBOs. The revised validity details of the +F endorsement certificate are as follows:
- +F Endorsement Certificate is valid till the license (License number) is suitable, or the product in the license is endorsed.
- +F Endorsement Certificate is valid till the Registration Certificate (RC number) is accurate or the food product category in the registration certificate is approved.
Procedure to get the endorsement of fortified food products on license
- The applicant needs to access the Food Safety Compliance System’s home page (FoSCos), click on the Login business option, and provide the user credentials to sign in to the portal.
- After login into the portal, the FBO must navigate to License/Registration and click on “Endorse Fortified Products.”
- Select the application type from the drop-down menu as Central Registration
- Click on “Proceed” against the application for which endorsement is required.
- Read the declaration, upload the product test report, click on the checkbox “I Agree,” and submit.
- Select the product for endorsement, update the brand name and variants and finally, submit the information
- FSSAI +F Endorsement Certificate will be generated, and the FBO can download the same for future use. Once verified, the logo in an open file format will be provided to the FBO.