Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatrawas Yojana

Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatrawas Yojana (BJRCY)

Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatrawas Yojana (BJRCY)

The Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment has initiated the Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatrawas Yojana (BJRCY) for the construction of hostels which enables and encourages students belonging to Scheduled Castes (SC) to attain quality education. The Scheme’s objective is to attract the implementing agencies for undertaking hostel construction program is beneficial to the students hailing from the rural and remote areas. Let us look in detail about the Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatrawas Yojana in this article.

To know about Working Women Hostel Scheme

Objectives

The scheme of construction of hostels for the SC students aims towards the broader conception and reduction of their drop out rate. This scheme intends to prioritize the construction of girls hostel holding with a capacity of 100 seats, in each and every block headquarters of low literacy Districts. To achieve the standardization and reduction in the gestation of the construction period and also ensures having an effective mechanism for reviewing, monitoring, quality control, etc. 

Eligibility Criteria 

The BJRCY Scheme will be implemented through the State/Union Territory Administrations and the Central and State Universities or institutions, and they will be provided with eligible central assistance based on the provision of this scheme, both for the new construction of hostel building and for expansion of their existing hostel facilities. Under the private sector, the Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and deemed Universities maintaining a good track record will be eligible to apply for the central assistance under the Scheme only for enhancing the infrastructure facilities of their existing hostel.

Location and Scope of Hostels

  • The priority to be given to the areas having a major population of SC people of 20% and more and without adequate hostel facilities for SC students while the sanctioning process of hostels.
  • The preference will be given to integrated hostels (which are part of established educational institutions) over the stand-alone hostels. 
  • In the case of girls, the hostel buildings will be located in the areas having low SC women literacy. The girls’ hostel building will be constructed in the close vicinity (as far as possible within a radius of 200m) of the educational institution. 
  • The focus will be given for the construction of hostel buildings for the middle and higher secondary levels of education. The hostels can also be constructed for the college and university levels of education. 
  • The boundary walls construction, two rooms set for the hostel warden and one room set for the Chowkidar would be an integral part of this scheme. 
  • The expenditure on the maintenance of the hostels will be borne by the implementing agencies concerned with their own funds. 

Capacity of Hostels

The capacity per hostel must not exceed 100 students. In cases, the hostels with the larger capacities can be considered. Each hostel room must accommodate 2 to 3 students. No single room for accommodation would be provided in the hostels. 

Funding Pattern 

Hostels for SC Girls

  • 100% central assistance would be granted to the State Governments and UT Administrations and the Central/State Universities or institutions. 
  • 90% of central assistance would be granted to the private sectors of NGOs and deemed Universities only for the development of the existing hostel facilities. 

Hostels for SC Boys

  • The central assistance of 50% to the State Governments on the matching share basis and 100% to the UT Administrations. 
  • The central assistance of 90% to the Central Universities or institutions (remaining 10% of the cost to be borne by the University or institution concerned), while for the State Universities or institutions, the central assistance would be granted of about 45% and the remaining 55% of the total cost to be borne by the University or institution and the State Government or UT Administration concerned)
  • The central assistance of about 45% to the private sectors of NGOs and deemed Universities for the expansion of their existing hostels (the remaining 55% of the cost to be borne by the concerned agency and the State Government or UT Administration)
  • In case the State Government or UT Administration that does not contribute their expected share of about 45% to the NGOs or Universities, the share of the former will also have to be borne by the concerned NGOs or Universities, thereby raising 55% of their contribution.

Terms and Conditions

No fee would be chargeable from the SC students for any kind of provisions of hostel facilities which includes water, electricity and maintenance charges, etc. The central assistance will be granted only towards the sharing of the cost of construction of the hostels for the SC girls and boys as per the norms. In addition to the central assistance under the scheme, a one-time grant of Rs.2500 per student will also be provided for making provisions of a cot, table and chair for each student. The implementing companies must hold ownership and occupancy status record over the land where the hostels are to be established.

Application Procedure

  • Separate application forms to be submitted for SC Girls and Boys as per the prescribed formats. Wherever applicable, the applications to be supported by details of the physical and financial progress of hostels sanctioned earlier by the Department of Social Justice and Empowerment.
  • A proposal for the hostel construction would necessarily be accompanied by a detailed record of the names etc. of the students those who are belonging to the target groups in the existing roll and stated policy proof and commitment of the institution regarding its action plan for the implementation of the reservation norms.
  • The proposal for the enhancement of existing hostels would be submitted by the NGOs or deemed universities in the private sector to the concerned State Government or UT Administration.
  • Upon submitting proposals for the release of central assistance, the implementing agencies would give a time frame about the completion of the construction of hostels which would, in any case, be less than the maximum prescribed period.
  • It would be mandatory for all the institutions concerned to the provide proportional representation to the SC girls/boys in their regular hostels and the additional seats created under this Scheme, together with the normal quota will be allocated evenly amongst all the hostels including the hostels constructed under the BJRCY Scheme.

Release of Central Assistance 

In the case of the private sector of NGOs and deemed Universities, the admissible grants-in-aid shall be released generally in two equal instalments. 

  • First instalment: Released at the time of sanctioning the project
  • Second and Final installment: Released upon the receipt of physical and financial reports from the designated authority only after the completion of construction work at least up to roof level and full utilization of the first installment amount of the grants-in-aid released by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment together with applicable matching share by the concerned NGOs or deemed Universities. 

In the case of State/Central Governments & State Universities or institutions, the admissible grants-in-aid would be released after ensuring the physical release of requisite matching shares. The admissible grants-in-aid for the implementing agencies would be released to them directly.

Other Related Guides

Working Women Hostel Scheme Working Women Hostel Scheme The Government of India has launched “Working Women Hostel Scheme” to promote the availability of reliable and convenient...

Post by Sinduja Shankar

IndiaFilings is India's largest online compliance services platform dedicated to helping people start and grow their business, at an affordable cost. We were started in 2014 with the mission of making it easier for Entrepreneurs to start their business. We have since helped start and operate tens of thousands of businesses by offering a range of business services. Our aim is to help the entrepreneur on the legal and regulatory requirements, and be a partner throughout the business lifecycle, offering support at every stage to ensure the business remains compliant and continually growing.