NARI Portal for Women
NARI Portal for Women
India’s march towards digitization and women empowerment was recently given an uplift by the launch of the NARI (National Repository of Information for Women) portal. This women self-empowerment portal was flagged off by the Union Minister for Women and Child Development, Maneka Gandhi, with the object of providing easy access to information on women welfare schemes. It comprises of information of about 350 schemes of the various state governments as well as the Centre, classed into seven different categories which include health, education, employment, housing and shelter, decision making, social support and addressing violence. Apart from this, the user may also access information, tips and advice on topics concerning the safety, adoption, health & nutrition and direct benefits. This article seeks to create awareness on the NARI portal for women.
Need for the Portal
Schemes of huge numbers, for varied purposes, are operational across the country. But on the downside, these schemes haven’t reached out to many owing to lack of awareness. NARI has been introduced to address this information gap by being a single repository of information pertaining to several women schemes.
- The website is specifically designed for women as a repository of information pertaining to governmental schemes.
- The scheme includes comprehensive details of about 350 schemes.
- The schemes, for which the information is provided, is classed into eight different sections such as health, decision making, addressing violence, social support, employment, education, legal support, housing and shelter.
- Different schemes are for different age groups, and there are four intervals of ages available in the portal – zero to six years, seven to seventeen years, eighteen to sixty years and above sixty years.
- The portal renders information and tips to women with respect to nutrition, healthy diet, precautions for different diseases and medical consultations, jobs, skill development, financial assistance, etc.
- The portal facilitates the women to directly contact the government departments that are associated with diverse schemes.
- NGOs and other women may voice their feedbacks and views on the portal.
- The portal provides information on crimes against women and reporting procedures, contact of legal aid cells and simplified adoption procedures.
- The portal provides links to various Ministries, Departments and various autonomous bodies offering these schemes. Moreover, women are provided updates on the recent developments in the Ministry.
The ‘Knowledge Corner’ on the portal guides the users with respect to the following procedures:
- Obtaining a Voter ID
- Obtaining an Aadhar Card
- Opening a Bank Account
- Applying for a passport
Apart from these, it provides information on basic women rights like maternity leaves, and so and so forth. Women may also partake in the government’s welfare initiatives. Some of these include Foster Care, Swachh Bharat, Adopt a Home, etc.
Other Notable Facilities
The portal, apart from the features highlighted above, caters to women through the following facilities:
- Safety – the portal lends awareness on the rights of women with respect to the forms of violence, violence at work, and troubles in marriage and pregnancy. It also facilitates the users to report these crimes and avail legal needs whenever necessary through a contact number.
- Adoption – the portal clarifies on the eligibility and procedure for adoption, simplified adoption processes and other adoption details.
- Health & Nutrition – this section deals with tips related to general nutrition, nutrition of mother and child, menstrual hygiene, common health concerns, check-ups, family planning and mental health.
- Direct Benefits – Direct Benefits are provided in the form of Maternity Benefit Program (MBP), Rashtriya Mahila Kosh (RMK), Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) Scheme, Protection and Empowerment of Women (PEW), Integrated Child Protection Scheme (ICPS), etc.
- Knowledge Corner – here, queries concerning the opening of bank account, application for banking loan, application for important documents, etc. are addressed. Also, tips are provided on savings and investments, insurance, jobs and career.
- Get Involved – this section facilitates the women to partake in various welfare initiatives.
More information concerning the portal can be derived through contacting:
National Mission for Empowerment of Women
First floor, Jeevan Tara Building
Gate no. 4
New Delhi – 110001
Contact No. 011-26862526
Fax No. 011-26868830
Working Hours : 09:00-17:30