Odisha Fire License
Odisha Fire License
Odisha fire license is a document of conformity to the requirements of fire safety. Fire license is well known as fire safety certificate in Odisha. Directorate General of Fire service, Home Guards & Civil Defense issues fire license (fire safety certificate) to certify that the fire systems are efficient in a given premise. In Odisha, fire license is mandatorily required for various types of businesses mentioned in the Odisha Fire Prevention and Fire Safety Rules, 2017. The main function of the fire safety certificate or fire license is to prove conformity of the business to the approved rules of safety. In this article, we look at the procedure to obtain an Odisha fire license or fire safety certificate in detail.
Odisha Fire Prevention and Fire Safety Rules
Odisha Fire Prevention and Fire Safety Rules establish and maintain fire services and related matters in the State of Odisha. As per this rule, the Government authorised officer requires the occupiers or owners of the buildings, warehouse, workshop, places of public entertainment to take precautions for the risk of fire.
Importance of Odisha Fire License
The importance of obtaining Odisha fire license is explained below:
- All buildings or premises or occupancies as explained below at all times should have a valid Fire Safety Certificate under Odisha fire safety rule.
- The owner or developer or promoter or builder should have a valid Odisha fire license to sell; leases occupy or allow its occupation of a building or premises,
- To obtain a certificate of completion or permission for occupation, the Odisha fire license or fire safety certificate has to be produced
- The permit of operating cinema hall and multiplex, any, trade or profession will be renewed only when a valid fire safety certificate is furnished.
Odisha Fire License for Buildings
Fire safety in buildings or premises is an essential area of concern for employers and landlords to keep peoples fully protected and ensure that the file system is fixed correctly and free of false alarms. The Odisha fire license is needed to be obtained for the following buildings:
- Aerodromes, airports and airstrips
- Places of Assembly
- Assembly halls, Auditoria, convention halls, recreation halls where the number of persons not less than 50 congregate or gather for recreation, amusement, social, religious purposes
- Business or office buildings
- Cinema Halls and Multiplexes
- Clinical Establishments
- Explosives or fireworks or hazardous substances
- Factories and Industries
- Hotels, Lodgings and Guest Houses
- Twelve meters height from ground level
- Four or more floors including underground, basement, stilt and mezzanine floors
- Three-star or above category
- Twenty-five guest rooms and above
- One or more function or assembly halls of the combined built-up area of 2000 square feet or more, or combined capacity of 300 or more persons
- Malls, shopping complexes and mercantile buildings
- Nine meters or more in height from the ground level
- Three or more floors including underground, basement, stilt and mezzanine floor
- Depot of Petroleum and other hazardous substances and refineries (storing, handling, refining, blending and retail outlets)
- Residential areas
- Fifteen meters or more in height from ground level
- Having five or more floors including all underground, basement, stilt and mezzanine floors
- Temporary structures For observance of festivities, for holding commercial shows, meals, jatras, operas, temporary cinemas
- An area of 1000 square meter or more
- The congregation of persons is more than 2000
- Premises where highly flammable or explosive materials are proposed to be used
- All underground or partially underground structures used for any purpose or occupancy
Processing Time and Prescribed Authority
Processing Time and Prescribed Authority for issuing Odisha fire license or fire safety certificate is tabulated here.
|S.No||Service||Time Limit||Designated Authority||
|1||Disposal of application for fire safety NOC for factories/ industries/ storage godowns||45 Days||Station Officer/ Asst. Fire Officer of the district Fire Station||Range Fire Officer|
|2||Disposal of application for fire safety NOC for non-high rise building (below 15 Meters of height)||45 Days||Deputy Fire Officer of concerned circle||Chief Fire Officer|
|3||Disposal of application for fire safety NOC for high rise building (above 15 meters of height)||60 Days||
Deputy Fire Officer of the concerned circle for building up to 21 meters
Deputy Fire Officer, Fire Prevention Wing, Odisha, Bhubaneswar for building above 21 meters
Chief Fire Officer for building up to 21 meters
I.G. of Police, Fire Service, Odisha, Cuttack for building above 21 meters
Validity of Odisha Fire License
The Fire Safety Certificate is valid from the date of its issue for a period as decided by the Odisha Government from time to time and will be reflected in the Fire Safety Certificate (fire license).
The fee structure for obtaining Odisha fire license is explained here.
- The applicant needs to pay Rs. 1.00 per square meter built-up area in case of residential buildings
- An amount Rs. 2.00 per square meter built up area need to pay in case of non- residential buildings.
The applicant needs to attach the following documents along with the application to obtain Odisha fire license or fire safety certificate.
- Copy of Site Plan
- Sketch map of proposed site with the layout means of access, entrance, exit
- Copy of Service Plan
- Copy of License or Permission if any
- Copy of Agreement if any
- Copy of Elevation plan
- Bank draft or Treasury challan
Odisha Fire License Application Procedure
The application procedure to obtain Odisha fire license is explained in step by step procedure here.
Apply for Fire Safety Recommendation
Step 1: The person desirous to erect buildings in Odisha have to submit an application form in prescribed format to the concerned officer in whose jurisdiction the building is proposed to be constructed before seven days of construction for the issue of Fire Safety Recommendation
The application can be submitted either by Registered Post or in person. The format of application for fire safety recommendation is attached here:FORM II
The fees for issuing the Fire Safety Recommendations for building can be deposited by the applicant online through Odisha Treasury Portal.
Step 1: Visit the home page of Odisha Directorate of Treasuries and Inspection. Click on Others option for deposit fee for Odisha fire license.
Step 2: Provide all mandatory fields and click on proceed to make payment. After successful payment, you can get e-Challan.
Submit two copies of e-challan self-signed along with the application to the concerned issuing authority or O.I.C. of Fire Stations.
Step 2: On receipt of the application, the document verification and site inspection will be conducted by a team of officers of Fire Service appointed by the Fire Service Director within thirty days.
Get Fire Safety Recommendation
Step 3: If the application fulfils all requirements of rules, the Director or authorised officer will approve the plan and issue Fire Safety Recommendation in favour of the applicant as per the Bureaus of Indian Standards from time to time.
Make Correction in Building
Step 4: Once the fire safety a recommendation is issued, the applicant has to correct the structures or pandal of building as per rules.
Apply for Odisha Fire License
Step 5: On completion of building or project and its fire safety installations as per fire safety recommendation, the owner or developer or occupier of premises (applicant) need to apply to the Director along with fire safety installation plan.
The application form Odisha fire license or fire safety certificate can be made either by Registered Post or in person. The format of application is attached here:Form-III
Step 6: On receipt of the application the premises will be inspected in the presence of the owner or his authorised representative by a team of officers constituted by the Director to ascertain the adequacy and operability of the fire prevention and fire safety measures.
Step 7: The inspection report will be sent to the Director for issuing Odisha fire license.
Verification by Director
Step 8: The Director will again verify occupancy to the approved building plan, the adequacy and operability of fire prevention and fire safety measures. If the approved building constructed all requirements of rules, a Fire Safety Certificate would be issued within forty-five days of receipt of this application.
Get Odisha Fire License
Step 9: If the Director is not satisfied with the proposed building, he may require the owner to rectify the deficiencies or provide such additional measures as may be necessary within a specified time. On receipt of satisfactory compliance, a Fire Safety Certificate may be issued.
Note: In case of rejection of the application, the owner needs to make a fresh application duly complying with the requirements in the same procedure as prescribed above
Odisha Fire License Renewal Procedure
As stated above, the Odisha fire license certificate validity will be announced by the Government from time to time. Non-Renewal of the license within the time limit may result in loss of eligibility for insurance coverage and appropriate legal action by State Government, Revenue Department or any other Department body.Renewal
Application for renewal of Odisha fire safety certificate will have to furnish to the prescribed authority three months (90 days) before the expiry of the license. The application form along with a copy fire safety certificate and fee need to be submitted.
The procedure of renewal of Odisha fire license or fire safety certificate is same as explained above.
Post by Renu Suresh
Renu is experience content writer specialised in compliances and company rules.