The Approval of Operational Motels or Motel Approval is a voluntary scheme which was initiated by the Ministry of Tourism, Government of India. The scheme objective is to recognize this segment as a component of the overall tourism product, benchmark the standards of services and facilities of Motels. Motels cater to the hospitality requirements of motorists through various facilities and services which is assessed by the Hotel and Restaurant Approval & Classification Committee (HRACC). Let us look in detail about the Approval of Operational Motels in this article.
To know about Incentives for Hotel Industry
In general, the following are the eligibility criteria to apply for the Approval of Operational Motels.
- The Ministry of Tourism will Approve the Operational Motels only based on the proper documentation and assessment of facilities and services offered.
- Motels must essentially have a maximum of 2 levels including a level below the ground level if any, for being recognised for the approval by the Ministry of Tourism.
- The approval for the newly operational Motels, if approved by the Ministry of Tourism at the Project stage, should be sought within 3 months of the completion of the project or commencement of operations, whichever is earlier.
- Motels that are seeking for the Re-approval, must apply for the same 6 months prior to the expiry of the current approval.
- The applications will not be considered as received till such time they are free from all the deficiencies.
- If a Motel fails to apply for the Re-approval 6 months prior to the expiry of the current period of approval, then the application will be treated as a fresh application for approval.
- The application must indicate whether a few rooms or all rooms are to be let out on a ‘Time Share basis’. The Motels which propose to let out part of or all its rooms on a time-share basis are not eligible for the approval under this scheme.
- Once a Motel applies for the Approval/Re-approval, it must be ready at all times for the verification process by the inspection team of the HRACC. No request for the deferment of inspection will be entertained. The HRACC or its authorized sub-committee would conduct the surprise inspections of the Motel at any time during the period of Approval or Re-approval.
- If a Motel fails to apply for the Re-approval 6 months prior to the expiry of the current term of Approval, the application will be treated as a fresh application for approval.
To start a new business in India, visit IndiaFilings.com
The approval of Operational Motels will be valid for the maximum period of 3 years from the date of approval of the Chairman HRACC.
In the case of Re-approval, the approval will be from the date of expiry of the previous approval, provided that the application has been received 6 months prior to the expiry of the current period of the approval, along with all legal documents.
The Motels that are applying for the Approval must provide the following documentation along with the Application Form.
- Name of the operational Motel
- Name of the promoters with a record on the business antecedents in not more than 60 words
- Complete postal address of the promoter along with the telephone, Fax and Email address
Documents regarding the status of the promoter/owner
- If Private/Public Limited Company with the proofs of Memorandum and Articles of Association.
- If Partnership, a proof of Partnership Deed and Certificate of Registration
- If proprietary concern, name, address of proprietor and Certificate of Registration to be submitted
- Location of the Motel site along with the postal address
Documents regarding the details of the site:
- Area (in sq. meters)
- Title – owned or leased with the proofs of sale and lease deed
- Copy of Land/Property Use Permission to construct Motel from local authorities
- Distance in Kilometers from Railway station and airport
- Located on State or National Highway
- Distance from the city centre/downtown/shopping area etc.
- Located between which major towns or cities
Documents that specify the details of the Motel:
- The number of rooms and washrooms along with the room types (in sq.ft.)
- Parking facilities for cars and coaches
- Any facility for vehicle or fuel pump. If so, distance from the motel to be mentioned
- Details of public areas along with the size in sq. Ft (lobby/lounge, restaurants, bar, utility shop, business centre, health club, etc.
- Facilities for the differently-abled guests
- eco-friendly practices
- Details of fire fighting measures/hydrants etc.
- Security-related features
Blueprints/Building Plans approved by the owner, the architect and approved by the responsible authority mentioning:
- Site plan
- Floor plans for all floors
- Front and side elevation
- Detail of guest rooms with dimensions in sq.ft
- Air-conditioning details for guest rooms, public areas
Local approvals from the following:
- Trade license to operate as a Motel/Hotel
- Occupancy certificate
- Land use permission for Motel/Hotel
- Clearance certificate from the Municipal Health Officer/Sanitary Inspector (Health NOC)
- NOC from Concerned Police and Fire Department
- Bar License (if the motel runs a Bar)
- Letter of Acceptance of Regulatory Conditions
Note: The above-specified approvals/NOCs are the responsibility of the promoter/concerned firm as the case may be. The Ministry’s approval is no substitute for statutory approval and the approval granted is liable to be withdrawn in case of violations without any prior notice.
Procedure for the Approval/Re-approval of Operational Motels
The applicant has to follow the below application procedure for the Approval/Re-approval of Operational Motels.
Access the Website
Step 1: The application for the approval process of Operational Motels can be submitted online by accessing the official website of Classification, Approval and Occupancy of Hotels.
New User Registration
Step 2: In the case of a new user, the applicant will have to get registered in the official portal by clicking on the “New Registration” link which will direct to the registration page.
Step 3: Here, the applicant has to fill out the registration form with all requested details such as OTA name, Address, Pin Code, Phone number, select the Type of Hotel, Owner Status, Contact Person details, etc. Also create the user id, password and enter the image text given and then click on the submit button.
Login to Portal
Step 4: Then log in with the registered User ID and Password.
Step 5: After Login, a new window will appear, where the applicant will have to Apply for the Approval/Re-approval of Operational Motels or have to upload the “Approval Letter” if already an approved hotelier.
Step 6: The following form will get opened after clicking on the link “Apply for Approval of Operational Motels”.
Fill out the Right Credentials
Step 7: The details of hotelier have to fill out all the requested details in the approval form.
Step 8: After entering all the details, the applicant will have to click on the “save and proceed” button.
Step 9: Now upload all the documents that are mentioned above then click on “save and proceed” button.
Step 10: The uploaded documents that are received from applicants after scrutiny in all respects would be acknowledged online.
Step 11: Applications for Approval of Operational Motels with the requisite fee is payable only by Debit/Credit Card/RTGS/NEFT.
Step 12: The application fee for the Approval of Operational Motel is Rs.10000/- which is payable through the relevant mode.
Step 13: Upon receipt of the application complete in all respects, the hotel will be inspected by the Hotel and Restaurant Approval & Classification Committee (HRACC).
Motels will be classified following a two-stage procedure:
- The presence of services and facilities will be evaluated against the enclosed Checklist of Services and Facilities
- The quality of services and facilities will be evaluated by the HRACC inspection committee as per the prescribed parameters.
The HRACC would inspect a Motel at any time without notice before. The Committee would request that its members be held overnight to inspect the level of services. Certificate of approval will be issued under the signatures of the concerned Regional Director subject to the approval of the Competent Authority. The approved Motel should adhere to the tenets of the Code of Conduct for Safe & Honourable Tourism.
Final Decision of Appellate Authority
In case of any disapproval with the decision of the HRACC, the hotel would appeal to Secretary (Tourism), Government of India for the verification, review and reconsideration process within the period of 30 days of receiving the communication concerning the Approval/Re-approval of Operational Motels. No request will be pleased beyond this period.