Modification of FSSAI License
Modification of FSSAI License
In May last year, the Food Safety and Standard Authority of India (FSSAI) had issued the order for modification of the licenses due to migration of the existing Food Licence and Registration System (FLRS) to the Food Safety and Compliance System (FoSCoS) and the last date for the modification was fixed for June 30th, 2021.
FSSAI says that in case of existing FBOs holding valid licensing for manufacturing of food products, they need to modify their existing license upon migrating to the new system FoSCoS. The FSSAI has now announced the extension of the period for modification of license by existing FSSAI licensed manufacturers without modification fee till 31st October 2021.
Synopsis of FSSAI Notification
As per the Notification dated 16th June 2021, FSSAI is decided to facilitate the Food Business Operator (FBOs) and ensure ease of doing business by providing the following relaxations.
- As mentioned above, FSSAI has announced the extension of the period for modification of the FSSAI license without modification fee till October 31, 2021.
- Further, it has been decided that such FSSAI licensed manufacturers who do not modify license by 31st October 2021, shall be permitted to apply for modification of their FSSAI license with a fee up to December 31, 2021.
- Therefore, no modification of the License would be permitted with effect from 1st January 2022.
- The FSSAI licensed manufacturers will not be permitted to apply for renewal of license from 1st January 2022.
The FSSAI Notification is attached here for reference:60cb3cfce9273Order_License_FoSCoS_17_06_2021
Modification of FSSAI License
Following the FSSAI Food Safety Compliance System (FoSCoS) registration procedure, any registered Food Business Operator (FBO) can change, alter, or modify any given information in the Food License issued by the FSSAI. This particular process is known as the Modification of FSSAI License. The Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 oversees the FSSAI Modification process under the supervision of the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) authority.
- FSSAI Modification is applicable only for the existing Food License holders. In case of cancellation of the same, an FBO is obliged to apply again after 3 month
- In case of a change in ownership, the FBO is mandated to file Modification of FSSAI License. Along with that, the FBO will need to follow the Company Registration procedure as well.
Modification of License by Manufacturer upon launch of FoSCoS
In May this year, the FSSAI had issued the order for modification of the licenses due to the migration of the existing Food Licence and Registration System (FLRS) to the Food Safety and Compliance System (FoSCoS), and the last date for the modification was fixed for December 31, 2020.
According to the FSSAI, in 2019, the food authority had approved the proposal regarding the mapping of standardized food products with the food category system to license and registration of manufacturers and subsequently, comments were invited and examined.
- Under the FLRS, the manufacturer applicant types the name of the food product to be manufactured in the text box provided while in the FoSCoS the manufacturers will have to select a standardized product only out of the list provided on the licensing platform.
- FSSAI informed that standardized products have classifications as per the food category system and if the product does not fall under the standardized category, the FBO needs to apply under proprietary food, non-specified food, or supplements/nutraceuticals category as the case may be.
- FSSAI says that in case of existing FBOs holding valid licensing for manufacturing of food products, they need to modify their existing license upon migrating to the new system FoSCoS. The window period for modification was given till December 31, which now stands extended till October 31, 2021.
Eligibility to Apply for FSSAI Modification
As per the FSSAI Order dated 28th May 2020, only selected categories of FBOs can now apply for a Modification of FSSAI License.
- Any Registered Food Business Operator
- Food Manufacturers
- Food Processing units
- Food Repackers
- Food Re-labellers
- Food Distributors
Type of Modification of FSSAI License
Modification of FSSAI license or registration is of 2 types as follows:
- Form C Modification – For the modification of information printed on Form C.
- Non – Form C Modification – For the modification of supporting information and documents.
Fee for Applying FSSAI Modification
The fee structure for applying the FSSAI Modification of the existing license is as follows:
|1||Modification of License and Certificate||Rs.1000 for license and Rs.100 for registration|
As per the FSSAI Notification dated June 16th, 2021, FASSI has announced that FBO is not required to pay this fee for modification of license till October 31st, 2021
Documents for Modification of FSSAI License
The FBOs are required to upload the following documents while applying for an application.
- Any change in documents or information provided during the grant of the previous food business license.
- Certificate of Food Safety Management System being adopted
- Medical fitness certificates of all workers engaged in the firm
- All details of technical personnel in charge of the operation
- The concerned FBO can select a single Modification Category at a time in the FSSAI License Modification process
- Food Manufacturers/Processors who have already obtained a Food License but in the wrong category, are required to get their License Modified
- For adding a new business, change of business address, change in contact details, or change in the product category – an FBO is requisite to file for FSSAI License Modification
- The FSSAI Designated Officer (D.O.) is responsible to scrutinize the Modification Application and the D.O. may seek any clarification from the FBO. The query is needed to be responded to within the next 30 days
Procedure to Apply for FSSAI License Modification
To modify the existing FSSAI license FBOs need to submit an online application through online mode on Food Safety Compliance System (FoSCoS) and possess a valid receipt of the application having a seventeen-digit application reference number.
- After login to the FoSCoS portal, a dashboard will be displayed, By clicking on the Modification option, the FBO can modify the respective FSSAI License or Registration Certificate.
- Click on the procedure in front of the respective FSSAI License or Registration Certificate which you need to modify.
- After clicking on proceed, a window will prompt by the system. Click on it to proceed further.
- Now, the manufacturing FBO needs to modify his/her products. According to the new methodology, they do not need to type the products in the textbox rather select the products from the given checklist.
- Now click first up of all clicks on the general manufacturing tab and did the general manufacturing category. Now, the applicant can observe that the second option has already been selected which means this license is granted for this category only
- Now click on proceed and then select the click here option. Until the products category, the applicant can view all the details provided in the existing FSSAI License.
- Select the kind of product from the checklist and click on add option and then submit. Now select the kind of business from the checklist and then submit the option.
- In this way, manufacture can add any product to the existing FSSAI License.
- Select the appropriate certificate/license which you need to apply for a modification. a confirmation window will display, click on the ok button to proceed further.
Note: If any FBO’s Modification Application is rejected by the Authority, the particular FBO is needed to stop their business operation till the Modification part gets completed.