Meghalaya Birth Certificate
Meghalaya Birth Certificate
The birth certificate is an identity document that allows the applicant to avail a gamut of services offered by the Indian Government to its citizens. A birth certificate contains information relating to birth such as time, date and place of birth. The birth certificate serves to establish the fact of one’s birth for a whole range of purposes such as acquiring the right to vote, admission to schools, settlement of inheritance, right to marry at the legally permissible age, property rights, and for obtaining Government-issued documents like driving license and passport. In this article, we look at the procedure for obtaining a Meghalaya birth certificate in detail.
Purpose of Birth Certificate
The following are the purposes of obtaining the Meghalaya Birth Certificate as listed below:
- The birth certificate is an essential document while applying for Death Certificate.
- It enables the applicant to obtain a Residence Certificate.
- The birth certificate helps the applicant to apply for Caste Certificate.
- The birth certificate requires while applying for the ration card and pension plan enrollment.
Every birth must be registered with the concerned State or Union Territory within 21 days of its occurrence as per the Birth and Death Registration Act, 1969. However, one has to do the registration procedures for births occurring in different places.
- The head of the family or the close relative of the child should register the birth if it has occurred in-house.
- Deputy Superintendent of the hospital or officers-in-charge should register the birth if it has occurred in the hospital.
- Medical officer should register the birth if it has occurred in Maternity Home or other nursing institutions.
- The person-in-charge of the vehicle should register the birth if it has occurred in a moving vehicle.
- The jail in-charge should register the birth if it has occurred in jail.
- The Headman of the village or the in charge of the local police station should register the birth if it has occurred in an abandoned place.
Note:- In case of birth at the hospital, the application form can be obtained from the hospital otherwise applicant can get the same from the concerned registrar office or download in the State Government website.
Attach the following documents along with the application form of Meghalaya Birth Certificate:
- Duly completed application form
- Parent’s marriage certificate
- Parent’s address proof
- A birth proof from the hospital
- Parent’s identity proof
- An affidavit consisting of the details of the birth
Contents of Birth Certificate
The birth certificate consists of the following details as below:
- Name of child
- Name of father
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Signature and stamp of issuing authority
Birth Certificate Issuing Authority in Meghalaya
The Registrar of local area / local body of tahsil/block of the district of the State of Meghalaya is responsible for issuing a birth certificate.
The provision of these sections provides that any action can be taken against a person for failure on his part to register a birth within the time specified and any such birth is registered during the pendency.
- Any birth of which delayed information is registered to the Registrar after the expiry of the period specified but within thirty days of its occurrence, can be registered on payment of such late fee as may be prescribed.
- Any birth of which delayed information is registered to the Registrar within one year of its occurrence should be registered with the written permission of the prescribed authority. The payment of the prescribed fee and the production of an affidavit should be made before the notary public, or any other officer authorised behalf by the State Government of Meghalaya.
- If registering birth after one year of its occurrence with the Presidency Magistrate or a Magistrate of the first class after verifying the correctness of the birth and on payment of the prescribed fee.
Registration of Name of Child
In case of registering child’s birth without a name, the parent or guardian of the child should give information regarding the name of the child within the prescribed period to the Registrar either written form or orally, and thereupon the Registrar will enter the name of the child in the register and initial the date of entry.
Step 1: Go to the official website of Meghalaya for registering the birth certificate.
Step 2: Choose the “Forms” option, which is visible on the left-hand side of the page.
Step 4: On the next page, click on “Birth Registration” option and download the birth certificate application form in a PDF format.Meghalaya Birth Certificate PDF
Step 5: Fill out the application form with required details and submit it to the concerned authority along with the necessary documents.
Post by Sivaramakrishnan
IndiaFilings is India's largest online compliance services platform dedicated to helping people start and grow their business, at an affordable cost. We were started in 2014 with the mission of making it easier for Entrepreneurs to start their business. We have since helped start and operate tens of thousands of businesses by offering a range of business services. Our aim is to help the entrepreneur on the legal and regulatory requirements, and be a partner throughout the business lifecycle, offering support at every stage to ensure the business remains compliant and continually growing.