Import of Used Cars in India – Procedure and Guidelines
Import of Used Car into India
Overview of the procedure and conditions for the import of used cars into India. A used car is a vehicle that’s been sold, leased, or loaned prior to importation into India; or has been registered for use in any country according to the laws of that country, prior to importation into India.
Conditions for Import of Used Car
The import of second or used vehicles are subject to the following conditions:-
- The second-hand or used vehicle shall not be older than three years from the date of manufacture;
- The second hand or used vehicle shall:
- have right hand steering, and controls (applicable on vehicles other than two and three wheelers);
- have a speedometer indicating the speed in Kilometers; and
- have photometry of the headlamps to suit “keep left” traffic.
- In addition to the conditions specified in (a) and (b) above, the second hand or used vehicle shall conform to the provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988 and the rules made thereunder.
Procedure for Import of Used Car
Whoever being an importer or dealer in motor vehicles who imports or offers to import a second hand or used vehicle into India shall:
- At the time of importation, submit a certificate issued by a testing agency, which the Central Government may notify in this regard, that the second hand or used vehicle being imported into India has been tested immediately before shipment for export to India and the said vehicle conforms to all the regulations specified in the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 of India and the rules made thereunder.
- At the time of importation, submit a certificate issued by a testing agency, which the Central Government may notify in this regard, that the second hand or used vehicle being imported into India has been tested immediately before shipment for export to India and the said vehicle conforms to the original homologation certificate issued at the time of manufacture.
- On arrival at the Indian port but before clearance for home consumption, submit the vehicle for testing by the Vehicle Research and Development Establishment, Ahmednagar of the Ministry of Defense of the Government of India or Automotive research Association of India, Pune or Central Farm Machinery Training and Testing Institute, Budni, Madhya Pradesh for tractors, and such other agencies as may be specified by the Central Government, for granting a certificate by that agency as to the compliance of the provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 and any rules made thereunder.
(iv) Import of these vehicles shall be allowed only through the customs port at Mumbai.
Maximum Age of Used Car
The second hand or used vehicles imported into India should have a minimum roadworthiness for a period of 5 years from the date of importation into India with assurance for providing service facilities within the country during the five year period. For this purpose, the importer shall, at the time of importation, submit a declaration indicating the period of roadworthiness in respect of every individual vehicle being imported, supported by a certificate issued by any of the testing agencies, which the Central Government may notify in this regard.
Cars manufactured prior to 1st January, 1950 are free for import by Actual Users. Policy Condition (I) and (II) above shall not be applicable for these cars. However, such of the cars that would be plying on public roads will continue to be subject to Central Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 and Rules, 1989.
In case you require an IE Code or GST registration for import or export, contact an IndiaFilings Advisor.
Import Export Code
The Import Export Code is a primary document necessary for commencing Import-export activities. The IE code is to be obtained for exporting or importing goods or services. IEC has numerous benefits for the growth of the business. Indeed, you cannot ignore the necessity of IE code registration, as it is mandatory. You can apply for an Import Export code through IndiaFilings and obtain it within 6 to 7 days
Post by IndiaFilings
IndiaFilings.com is committed to helping entrepreneurs and small business owners start, manage and grow their business with peace of mind at an affordable price. Our aim is to educate the entrepreneur on the legal and regulatory requirements and be a partner throughout the entire business life cycle, offering support to the company at every stage to make sure they are compliant and continually growing.