Fire License in Tamil Nadu
Fire License in Tamil Nadu
The issue and renewal of fire license across India are governed and regulated by the State Governments. Hence, the process and procedure for obtaining fire license vary from state to state. In Tamil Nadu, fire license is mandatorily required for various types of businesses mentioned in the Tamil Nadu Fire Service Rules. In addition to the mandatory requirement, fire license would also be required while obtaining Building Plan Approval from the Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority (CMDA) for multistoried buildings. In this article, we look at the procedure for obtaining fire license in Tamil Nadu.
Applying for Fire License
The authority to whom fire license application must be submitted would depend on the type of building. To obtain fire license for building with height of upto 17.25 meters (Non-MSB), the District Officer, Fire and Rescue Services Department is the concerned authority.
To obtain fire license for building with height above 17.25 mts (MSB) or building with more than single basement and height of less than 17.25 meters, The Director, Fire and Rescue Services Department is the concerned authority.
Application for Fire License
The application for fire license must be signed by the building owner along with the following information or documents:
- Requisition Letter addressed to Approving Authority (District Officer/ Director, as applicable) with the signature of authorised signatory.
- Land ownership document copy (Rental Agreement/ Sale Deed including patta, chitta copy / Lease Deed).
- Copy of Compliance Certification issued by Fire and Rescue Services Department (For MSB only).
- Details of Fire Safety measures undertaken in the building.
- Fire Safety Plan of the building including Fire Alarm Plan and Hydrant Layout etc.
- 4 copies of approved building plan from Competent Authority (Local Body/ DTCP/ CMDA).
In addition to the above, the applicant must submit the following information in the format provided below during site verification:Tamil Nadu Fire License Application
Processing Time for Fire License
The government processing time for issuance of fire license in Tamil Nadu is between 15 to 30 days. The applicant would have to visit an e-Sevai Centre for beginning the application process. The authority at the e-Sevai Centre would upload the application on behalf of the applicant on the system along with the required documents. Once, documents are uploaded, an application number will be generated and the applicant will receive a confirmation of the same via SMS. There is no fee to be paid to the Fire & Rescue Services department for this application.
On completion of the application upload, the applicant should send by speed post all of the documents uploaded to the concerned Approving Authority (District Officer/ Director, as applicable). The Approving Authority would acknowledge the receipt of the application and documents, to the applicant via SMS. The approving Authority can ask for additional information from the applicant, only pertaining to application form and supporting documents specified within 7 working days of application receipt (including supporting documents). The applicant can respond to the queries received through the online portal. Based on the submission, the approving Authority would schedule an inspection of the site after providing prior notice.
Post inspection, the concerned Officer will prepare and submit the inspection report on the online portal and forward it
to the concerned authority. If found fit, the fire license would then be issued by the Authorities to the applicant.
For assistance obtaining fire license in Tamil Nadu, get in touch with an IndiaFilings Advisor at [email protected].
Businesses & Activities Requiring Fire License in Tamil Nadu
The following businesses or entities involved in manufacturing or storing any of the following are mandatorily required to obtain fire license:
- Hotels, restaurants, bakeries and eating houses.
- Fish oil-machine power.
- Other oil-machine power.
- Boiling-campher or oil by machine power.
- Manufacture of ice.
- Storing, packing, pressing, cleansing, preparing or manufacturing by any process whatever.
- Chlorate mixture.
- Explosive (storing)
- Fulminate of mercury
- Gun cotton
- Fire works, perparing or manufacturing or storing.
- Manufacturing of crackers.
- Salt petre.
- Sulphur (including melting)
- Chemical prepartions, carbolic acid, hydrochloric acid, nitric acid, pyritic acid, sulphuric acid, caustic potash, caustic soda, chemical fertilisers, benzol, bromoform, chloroform, iodoform, glycerine, accetone, nitro, nitrol, perchloride or mercury, chloride of potash, etc.
- Cigars and cigarettes.
- Manufacturing articles from which offensive or unwholesome smells, fumes, dust or noise arise (kumkums).
- Carpentry and cabinet making.
- Printing, composing, binding, etc.
- Storing, dumping, curing, cleansing, etc.
- Steam engines and boilers to construct or establish any factory workshop or work place in which it is proposed to employ steam power, water power, or other mechanical power, or electric power.
- Using for any industrial purpose fuel or machine power.
- Baling presses
- Cinema studio
- Combustible materials storages.
- Cinematographic films-storing, transporting, handling, examining, repairing and exhibiting.
- Storing ordinary camera Roll Films and X-ray films.
- Petroleum products – storing, packing, cleansing, preparing or manufacturing by any process whatever Non-Dangerous Petroleum between 75o F and 1500 F
- Non Dangerous Petroleum
- Kerosene oil
- Mineral turpentine
- Furnace oil
- Vapourising oil
- Aviation trubine fuel 650
- Mobile power oil, etc
- Heavy Petroleum
- High speed diesel oil
- Light diesel oil
- Furnace oil
- Ten drier oil
- Mobile diesel and, etc.
- Heavy oils
- Lubricating oils
- Petroleum Jellies
- White oils
- Grease, etc.
- Dyes (Vegetable or chemical) – Storing, selling, keeping, etc.
- Paper (Printing, writing, including newsprint paper, card boards, etc0 – storing, selling in retail or wholesales.
- Silk (Rayon, Nylon, etc ) – Manufacturing by any process whatever.
- Silk (Rayon, Nylon, etc Waste or soiled) – Storing or selling in retail or wholesale.
- Cloth (textiles, cotton, garments, dress, apparels etc) – By powerlooms, storing or selling in retail or wholesale, manufacturing by any process whatsoever.
- Rubber (goods such as sheet, cloth, toys, shoe, etc) By machine power, manufacturing by any process whatever.
- Studios – Cinemas, etc – Cinema Houses, equipped with reproducing of sound with amplifiers, by projectors where public are admitted for amusement, entertainment, etc.
- Fertilisers (chemical preparation of any kind) – manufacturing, packing, mixing, pressing, selling or storing, in retail or wholesale.
- Paints (including distemper, varnish, spirits, linseed oil, polishes, etc.) – Manufacturing, mixing, packing, pressing, cleansing by any process whatever.
- Paints (including distemper, varnish, spirits, linseed oil, polishes, etc.) storing, selling retail or wholesale.
- Metals – Melting lead, beating, breaking, hammering, casting, etc., metals.
- Automobiles shops – repairing, building, assembling – By power cleansing etc, automobiles.
- Tea stand, tea stall and tea shop which can be a source of Fire accident.
- Coffee shops (café, restaurant, clubs) boarding houses eating house, military hotels, tea clubs, drinking houses, ice cream parlours.
- Meals hotels or eating houses.
- Biscuit, bread and confectioneries, tea shops, etc., where public are admitted for consumption of food or drink.
- Places where preparation of edibles is made and stored but public are not admitted for consumption of food or drink.
- Preparing Murukku, Masalavadai
- Keeping pigs.
- Cattleyards and stables, using or allowing a place to be used as a stable, veterinary infirmary, stand, shed or yard for keeping or taking a quadrupeds for purposes of profit.
- Keeping together twenty or more sheep or goats or ten or more head of cattle.
- To open a new private cart stand.
- To keep a cycle stand where fees are charged.
- Manufacturing, preparing by any process whatsoever aerated waters.
- Bricks, tiles (Brick-kilns)
- Condiments by machinery, grinding chillies by machinery, powdering seekai by machinery.
- Coffee roasting.
- Coffee roasting and grinding ( by hand power)
- Fish oil by hand power
- Other oil by hand power, preparing or manufacturing of any process whatsoever.
- Boiling, camphor or oil by hand power.
- Manufacturing or distilling – Sage
- Storing, packing, dressing, cleansing, preparing or manufacturing by any process, whatever, dumping or selling, ashes or cinders.
- Packing, pressing, cleansing, preparing or manufacturing any process whatever, candles.
- Dyes (other than chemicals)
- Catgut, fat tallow (including melting)
- Dying, clothing, yarn silk
- Refining gold
- Gilding and electroplating by hand and machine power.
- Selling wholesale or retail or storing for wholesale or retail trade, packing, pressing, cleansing, preparing or manufacturing by any process whatever, cowdung cakes.
- Flax hemp
- Skins (above 50 cwts)
- Hair (dying or drying also)
- Packing, pressing, cleansing, preparing or manufacturing by any processing whatsoever soap snuff.
- Tailoring (dress makers) using 70 or more sewing machines.
- Battery charging and repairing, vulcanising, retreading tyres, radio and electrical repairs and lumber materials, welding, etc.
- Automobile shops – Repairing, building, assembling, cleanings etc. Automobiles (by hand power)
- Printing presses – Printing, composing, binding, etc ( by hand power employing 5 persons or less)
- Rubber tyres and tubes – storing, dumping, curning, cleansing, etc.
- Washing soiled clothes or keeping soiled clothes for the purposes of washing them or keeping washed clothes ( by machine power).
- Dumping, shifting, selling or storing (charcoal, coal, storing combustible materials)
- Selling or storing – firewood.
- Grass, hay, dry leaves (combustible materials), straw, thatching materials.
- Timber, storage, processing.
- Storing – line
- Rags resin (including resin) spirits and turpentine.
- Tobacco (above 50 maunds)
- Cold storage of fish, etc.
- Poultry – To carry on the trade of poultarer. Poultry to use place for the sale of poultry.
- Selling wholesale or retail, storing, for wholesale or retail trade, packing, pressing, cleansing, preparing or manufacturing, by any process whatever – jaggery.
- Selling wholesale or retail, or storing for wholesale or retail trade, onion, garlic, chillies (dried), selling wholesale or retail or storing or wholesale or retail trade , pressing, cleaning, preparing, or manufacturing by any process whatever.
- Oil cakes.
- Coconut fibre, selling for storing, fibres and articles made of coconut fibres.
- Storing, packing, pressing, cleansing, preparing or manufacturing by any process whatever oil-gingelly, groundnut, coconut, castor, vegetable oils, margo, etc.
- Paper (waste paper) – storing or selling in retail or wholesale
- Paper (printing, writing including newsprint paper, card boards, etc) storing and selling.
- Sugar- packing, pressing, cleansing, preparing or manufacturing by any process whatever sugar – storing or selling retail or wholesale.
- Sugar candy packing, pressing, cleansing, preparing, or manufacturing by any process whatever.
- Ink (writing ink, marking ink, etc.) manufacturing by any process whatever.
- Ink (printing ink) manufacturing by any process whatever.
- Crockery, enameling, etc. – Manufacturing by any process whatever.
- Beedi leaves – Storing or selling in retail or wholesale.
- Thatching materials such as coconut leaves, woven coil mats, ropes, etc., storing or selling in retail or wholesale.
- Tea (dust, leaves, powder etc) bread storing or selling in retail or wholesale.
- Articles made of flour (biscuits, bread, cakes Peppermint chocolates, etc) – manufacturing by any process whatever.
- Furniture (wood, metal, cane, bamboo, etc.) storing or selling in retail or wholesale
- Cloth (cotton-textile) – Manufacturing by any process whatever (by machine power)
- Automobile – Cleansing, servicing and body building etc – Manufacturing, assembling, repairing, stocking or selling in retail or wholesale, etc.
- Cycle-manufacturing, assembling, storing or selling in retail or wholesales
- Glass (including mirror, glassware, glass plates, etc.) – manufacturing by any process whatsoever.
- Glass (including mirror, glassware, glass plates, etc.) storing or selling in retail or wholesale.
- Rubber (goods such as sheet, cloth, toys, shoes, etc.) storing or selling in retail or wholesale.
- Battery – storing, selling, manufacturing, assembling, servicing, etc.
- Electrical instruments, apparatus, etc., storing selling, in wholesale or retail, manufacturing, assembling, servicing, etc.
- Radio storing, selling, retail or wholesale, manufacturing, assembling, servicing, etc.
- Paper-packing, pressing, cleansing, preparing, manufacturing by any process whatever, making card-board boxes, envelopes etc.
- Fibres (materials made of jute, coir or any other fibre) – storing or selling in retail or wholesale.
In addition to the above, any trade or activity covered under the following Act and Rules would be required to mandatorily obtain fire license:
- Explosives Act
- Petroleum Act
- Carbide act
- Oil Fields Act
- The Arms Act
- Warehousing Corporation Act
- The Emergency Risk (Hoods) Insurance Act
- The Major Port Trust Act, 1983.
- The Coal Miners Compensations and Development Act, 1974.
- The Cinematograph Rules, 1948.
- Factories act, 1948.
- The District Municipalities Act.
Income Tax eFiling
We have made the Income Tax eFiling, simple and easy. File your income tax return online with the dedicated Tax Experts support from IndiaFilings.
IndiaFilings.com (ERI ID: ERIA100945) is an Income Tax Department authorised eReturn Intermediary.