Economically Weaker Sections Bill 2019
Economically Weaker Sections Bill 2019
The Government of India (GoI) passed the Economically Weaker Section (EWS) Bill in January 2019, to increase employment opportunities and benefits by providing 10 % reservation for an appointment in educational institutions, civil posts and civil services for citizens’ income is below the stipulated threshold.
The EWS bill was issued by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (SJE) to improve the economic stability of the weaker section in India. It was tabled under the Economic Weaker Section Reservation Bill Article 15(4) and Article 16(4). The bill was sanctioned with Rs. 4315.15 crores to implement the benefits for the scheme.
The eligibility criteria to apply EWS bill will be determined using the accumulated income and property assets. This bill does not equal with OBC reservation and hence it applies only to the people belonging to General category and not to SC, ST and OBCs. However, if the applicant has not availed from other benefits reserved for Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes or the Socially and Educationally Backward Classes, the individual is applicable to avail benefits from EWS.
The bill was proposed to promote equality, eliminate economic weakness, social backwardness, provide education at premium institutions and share of power that has been neglected for generations.
Objectives of EWS Bill
To set up parameters to dismantle trans-generational and economic disadvantages that do not fall under other welfare schemes provided by the GoI.
Create reservation to increase the employment opportunities in civil service departments and premium educational institutions
Destabilise economic weakness and increase the literacy rate in India
Eligibility Criteria to Avail EWS Benefits
- The applicant must belong to the General category
- The total accumulated income of the family should be less than 8 lakhs annually (including profit from the business, agriculture, professional services)
- The individual or the family members should reside near slum areas, rural or urban
- Primary income source is through manual or household labour, artisanship in rural or urban society
- Member of National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (NREGA)
- Possession of agricultural land by the individual or family not more than 5 acres
- Belonging to a female-headed household
- Education of both the parents below higher secondary in matriculation schools
- If the applicant owns a household property, it should not exceed more than 1000 sq.ft
- If the applicant owns a residential plot, it should not exceed more than 100 sq. yards in a notified municipality sector and 200 sq. yards in a non-notified municipality sector
Applicants who have migrated from the following states:
1 Bihar 2 West Bengal 3 Orissa 4 Jammu and Kashmir 5 Assam 6 Jharkhand 7 Rajasthan 8 Madhya Pradesh 9 All North-Eastern States
Application Process to Avail EWS Benefits
To avail the EWS benefits, the applicant must avail Income and Asset Certificate as per Annexure-I from Tahsildar, District Magistrate, Collector, District magistrate, Extra Assistant Commissioner, Revenue Officer or Sub-Divisional Officer.
Step 1: Apply for Income and Asset Certificate through the Application form.Issuance of Income Asset Certificate for Economically Weaker Sections(EWS)ApplicationForm
Step 2: Submit the form to any of the above-mentioned government authoritative member along with the required documents.
Step 3: A government employee from the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment will visit the applicants’ premises to validate the credentials.
The government of Andhra Pradesh has created an option MeeSeva Portal to avail the benefits of EWS through online. The portal can be used to avail, submit documents by the applicant and verify the documents online. The portal also displays the status of the application on whether it has been accepted or rejected.
Step 1: Create a new user name and password to login to the MeeSeva portal
Step 2: Select the option Issuance of Income and Asset Certificate for EWS
Step 3: Provide the required details with valid credentials
Step 4: Application number is generated
Step 5: Fill the application form with valid credentials
Step 6: Upload all the documents
Step 7: Pay Rs. 45 as processing fee
Step 8: Check for the status of the application
Step 9: If approved, the applicant will receive a message from the portal and the applicant can download the certificate from the portal
For more details on online process, User Manual Income Asset Certificate for Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) Ver 1.0 - Dept
- Details of the applicant such as Aadhar Card, PAN card, Driving License and Ration card
- Copy of IT returns attested by an authorised CA
- Property documents if any
- Passport size photographs
- Affidavit and
- Community certificate
For more information on how to avail benefits from the EWS, click here
Income Tax eFiling
We have made the Income Tax eFiling, simple and easy. File your income tax return online with the dedicated Tax Experts support from IndiaFilings.
IndiaFilings.com (ERI ID: ERIA100945) is an Income Tax Department authorised eReturn Intermediary.