EWS Certificate (Economically Weaker Section)
EWS Certificate (Economically Weaker Section)
The Government of India (GoI) passed the Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) Bill in January 2019 to provide support and opportunities. The EWS bill supports by increasing employment opportunities and benefits by providing 10 % reservation for an appointment in educational institutions. Further, the reservation also applies to civil posts and civil services, if the individual receives income below the stipulated threshold.
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (SJE) issued the EWS bill especially to improve the economic stability of the weaker section in India. It was tabled under the Economic Weaker Section Reservation Bill Article 15(4) and Article 16(4). For this reason, the bill was sanctioned with Rs.4315.15 crore to implement the benefits for the scheme.
The eligibility criteria to apply EWS bill will be determined using the accumulated income and property assets. This bill does not equal to OBC reservation. Hence it applies only to the people belonging to General category and not to SC, ST and OBCs. However, the applicant can avail benefits from EWS, if not availed from any other SC, ST benefits.
The bill was proposed in order to promote equality, eliminate economic weakness, social backwardness. It also focused on providing education at premium institutions and share of power that has been neglected for generations.
Objectives of EWS Bill
- To set up parameters to dismantle trans-generational and economic disadvantages that do not fall under other welfare schemes provided by the GoI.
- Create reservation to increase the employment opportunities in civil service departments and premium educational institutions
- Destabilise economic weakness and increase the literacy rate in India
Eligibility Criteria to Avail EWS Benefits
- The applicant must belong to the General category
- The total accumulated income of the family should be less than 8 lakhs annually (including profit from the business, agriculture, professional services)
- The individual or the family members should reside near slum areas, rural or urban
- Primary income source is through manual or household labour, artisanship in rural or urban society
- Member of National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (NREGA)
- Possession of agricultural land by the individual or family not more than 5 acres
- Belonging to a female-headed household
- Education of both the parents below higher secondary in matriculation schools
- If the applicant owns a household property, it should not exceed more than 1000 sq.ft
- If the applicant owns a residential plot, it should not exceed more than 100 sq. yards in a notified municipality sector and 200 sq. yards in a non-notified municipality sector
Applicants who have migrated from the following states:
|4||Jammu and Kashmir|
|9||All North-Eastern States|
Application Process to Avail EWS Benefits
To avail the EWS benefits, the applicant must avail Income and Asset Certificate as per Annexure-I from Tahsildar, District Magistrate, Collector, District magistrate, Extra Assistant Commissioner, Revenue Officer or Sub-Divisional Officer.
Step 1: Apply for Income and Asset Certificate through the Application form.Issuance of Income Asset Certificate for Economically Weaker Sections(EWS)ApplicationForm
Step 2: Submit the form to any of the above-mentioned government authoritative member along with the required documents.
Step 3: A government employee from the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment will visit the applicants’ premises to validate the credentials.
The government of Andhra Pradesh created MeeSeva Portal to avail the benefits of EWS through online. The portal can be used to avail, submit documents by the applicant and verify the documents online. The portal also displays the status of the application whether it has been accepted or rejected.
Create a new user name and password to login to the MeeSeva portal
|Select the option Issuance of Income and Asset Certificate for EWS|
|Provide the required details with valid credentials|
|The application number is generated|
|Fill the application form with valid credentials|
|Upload all the documents|
|Pay Rs. 45 as processing fee|
|Check for the status of the application|
|If approved, the applicant will receive a message from the portal. The applicant can download the certificate from the portal.|
For more details on online process, User Manual Income Asset Certificate for Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) Ver 1.0 - Dept
- Details of the applicant such as Aadhar Card, PAN card, Driving License and Ration card
- Copy of IT returns attested by an authorised CA
- Property documents if any
- Passport size photographs
- Affidavit and
- Community certificate
For more information on how to avail benefits from the EWS, click here